Depression

Hello everyone. I have depression and my doctor gave me pills for this...long story short I dont want to take them, I want to see if I can fix this with diet and exercise...any ideas people? What to stay away from and what to head for?

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Was it a psychiatrist or a GP who prescribed your meds? If it is a GP they do not specialize in depression yet they are quite liberal in handing out anti-depressants & often without getting to the root of the issue. Perhaps it is a nutrient deficiency or hormone imbalance or who knows...did your doc do any testing such as bloodwork to see if you are lacking in anything....even a vitamin D deficiency can contribute to depression. I am neither a psychiatrist nor a GP, but have had my own depression issues over the years and opted out of taking meds. I have been in therapy off & on for years and find that to help along with lifestyle changes. I also have seasonal affective disorder & find a therapy light helps.

There are varying reasons for depression and what I would suggest is getting into some therapy to get to the root of your issue if you haven't already done that...also researching what lifestyle changes may help such as sleep hygiene, nutrition, exercise etc. If your doctor hasn't done bloodwork, ask him to. I absolutely understand your reservation to taking meds. It isn't necessarily the answer for everyone & current research shows that in cases of mild to moderate depression, meds can make it worse and then there is the never-ending list of side effects that you may or may not have to contend with...

At the same time, you didn't include any details about the severity of your depression, your history etc so it's difficult to suggest too much and like I said I am NOT a doctor, but there is endless amounts of information about depression at your fingertips. Education is the key to helping yourself with this...hope you find your way.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    Yes mental illness is a brain chemistry problem. A psychiatrist is your best bet to get a good diagnosis and proper treatment.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    @cherys, thanks for these tips! I hope you'll share more.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I treat my depression with medicine(prescribed by my therapist) and therapy- I now been able to not go to therapy- but I am still on a low dose medicine- because of the chemical imbalance in my brain- it is not me just "wanting" to act different or wanting attention- or any"thing" that some folk believe- it is real and true- I would work with my therapist and /or doctor to see what is your own best solution.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Cycling outside actually makes my depression acutely worse because I'm alone with my thoughts which is really not a good thing.

I've experienced that too. Exercise does help me a lot, but I find I need a good playlist or video involved to distract my mind. ;)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    @slbbw Good thoughts and well said.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    John I feel your pain. There is a lot of controversy where antidepressants are concerned. I took them for years and for a while they were the best diet pill I ever took. But as you probably guessed I eventually gained the weight back. I wasn't taking them as a diet pill, I was actually depressed, but I was eating my feelings so they helped me to chill out for a few months. I'm no longer on them, I lost the weight on my own and I seem to be ok as long as I walk regularly and keep on top of my eating. Having said that my husband is bipolar and is on antidepressants and I would hate for him to go off. He truly needs them to stay balanced. What you choose to do is between you and your doctor but don't not take them because of what people think. If you are concerned about side effects, and they are real, then it's your choice. Please take care of yourself. Stabilizing your mood is more important than anything. Let us know how you are doing in a few weeks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Don't go to the gym. Do your exercise outdoors. Run, walk, ride a bike, paddle a kayak... Having the sky above is good for depression. Sunlight means vitamin D. There's research that shows activities that demand 100% of your attention are good for depression, they pull you out of your head and into the moment.

Yes, and the benefits of exercising outdoors I get are more than just due to the Vitamin D, which I supplement anyway. Cardio is so much more fulfilling to me outdoors than indoors.

And you're right about being in the moment. I usually spend about half my hike listening to a podcast, which I enjoy, but am less in the moment. On the way back I listen to music, and can stay in the moment during this. I'm far more likely to get an endorphin rush when I'm listening to music v something other than hiking that requires my attention.

This time of year I'm mostly hiking, but soon I will be gardening - plants, vegetables, and the never ending battle of keeping dandelions from taking over the lawn without using chemicals. (I pull them right before they go to seed so the bees can eat from the flowers.)