Sugar? Or "Added" Sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You can choose what you track so track the things that are important to you.
    Sugar was of no interest to me so I tracked fibre instead.
    I had zero need or want to track sugar as it's just a subset of carbs.

Do you actually think your body can distinguish at a molecular level if your fructose, glucose or sucrose comes from fruit or another source? The entirety of your diet obviously matters but do you really want to add some level of artificial moral judgement to your intake?

You are so right - maybe we are overthinking things.... Back to basics, I say!
  • sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    Well this brings me to another question, maybe should make a new post but......I go over my fat% everyday. My fat allocation has already been manually changed to be higher than what MFP gives me. Is this bad?! I'm staying within calories, just eating spoonfuls of lard. Jk

I could be way off here so forgive me if I am but based on this a number of your recent posts it seems like you're trying to complicate your way to failure.

You're taking what are really simple concepts and getting so bogged down in the largely irrelevant minutiae that you're going to run the risk of overwhelming yourself and making it all to much.

It's something I've seen time and again with people posting on these forums. People obsessing over all these tiny details which are by and large not really worth worrying about and pretty soon the 'it's all too hard' post comes and they disappear.

Weight loss is simple. Eat fewer calories than you use and you'll lose weight.
    Getting fit is simple. Be more active more often.
    Building muscles is simple. Pick up things that get progressively heavier.

Keep it simple, keep it easy and keep it going.

I appreciate your feedback. I spend *some* time thinking about various facets of nutrition, sure, but I really pose questions to hear other opinions and views. I like community. I like facilitating discussions. I'm fairly well educated and have a good basis of nutrition/fitness knowledge. I LOVE reading articles and new things. Sorry if you find my postings annoying. 🤷
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Would our disagree-er care to share why we are so wrong?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,630 Member
    Options
    Because Ann said it, duh!!!!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Well this brings me to another question, maybe should make a new post but......I go over my fat% everyday. My fat allocation has already been manually changed to be higher than what MFP gives me. Is this bad?! I'm staying within calories, just eating spoonfuls of lard. Jk

I think macros are not that important beyond how they may affect someone's personal hunger (macros themselves do not for me) and of course getting sufficient protein (which I think has already been taken into account in your macros based on past threads).

So even though I would consider myself someone who focuses on nutrition a lot (more than necessary, because it is interesting to me), going over fat (or carbs) is not something I care about. I often do go over my fat, since I like fat.

What I would recommend as things to think about instead, if you want to, and if these aren't already so down that you don't need to are: protein (as mentioned above), fiber (for me this means from whole foods), eating lots of veg and some fruit, and eating some regular sources of healthy fats like nuts and seeds, olives/olive oil, avocados, fatty fish.

Only the first 2 things mentioned are about hitting numbers, and all of them are about what is in vs limiting (I'd limit cals, of course).

I do also look at and to some extent limit sat fat and I intentionally don't eat a lot of added sugar, but to me those are both less important than the things mentioned above (and may just happen naturally anyway).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I don’t really pay much attention to anything other than calories, protein and fiber.
    It is kind of annoying when I get the sodium message when logging a food that’s high in sodium and my sodium level is still under the RDA.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Keep it simple for yourself. I would only worry about my sugar or fat consumption if it was crowding out other things I needed. Is it?

(The other reason to limit it would be if you had a health condition that required it, but I don't see any indication of that in your posts).

Humans have thrived on a variety of diets, including high fat or high carbohydrate diets.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I don’t really pay much attention to anything other than calories, protein and fiber.
    It is kind of annoying when I get the sodium message when logging a food that’s high in sodium and my sodium level is still under the RDA.

That is why I use the website rather than the app. I don't get those annoying messages. I only use the app when I am traveling.

I pay attention to calories, fiber, fat, and carbs. Being T2Dm I need to keep my carbs under 150 daily. I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago and still have some issues with fat so I try to keep that under 60 g daily and fill in the rest with protein. I switched tracking sugar in my diary to tracking fiber since it is really easy to get too little, especially when eating moderate carbs.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »

I could be way off here so forgive me if I am but based on this a number of your recent posts it seems like you're trying to complicate your way to failure.

You're taking what are really simple concepts and getting so bogged down in the largely irrelevant minutiae that you're going to run the risk of overwhelming yourself and making it all to much.

It's something I've seen time and again with people posting on these forums. People obsessing over all these tiny details which are by and large not really worth worrying about and pretty soon the 'it's all too hard' post comes and they disappear.

Weight loss is simple. Eat fewer calories than you use and you'll lose weight.
    Getting fit is simple. Be more active more often.
    Building muscles is simple. Pick up things that get progressively heavier.

Keep it simple, keep it easy and keep it going.

I appreciate your feedback. I spend *some* time thinking about various facets of nutrition, sure, but I really pose questions to hear other opinions and views. I like community. I like facilitating discussions. I'm fairly well educated and have a good basis of nutrition/fitness knowledge. I LOVE reading articles and new things. Sorry if you find my postings annoying. 🤷

Not annoying in the slightest. I genuinely just want to see everyone succeed and hopefully avoid the potential pitfalls that so many seem to fall into.