Is it considered healthy, a cheat or what?

Options
If my meals consists of foods deemed unhealthy, like fried food or fast food, but I still stay within my calories, is this still considered a cheat? I may be within my calories but I’m not eating anything that’s good for me, so I feel I’m at a crossroads.

For example, I really like instant ramen (Top Ramen, Cup o Noodles, you name it) but anytime I eat it I feel really unhealthy afterward, even though it’s well within my calories.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I agree with ^^^ that a lot depends on your goals. Also, how is this working for you — do you enjoy the things you eat? Are they satisfying? Do you feel really good? If the fried food/fast food/ramen is working for you, and it fits in your goals (calorie, macro or otherwise), then buen provecho!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I personally don't call anything a cheat, more hitting goals, not hitting goals, and somewhere in between (not only about calories but other factors as well). All are ok but you want to do things that hit your goals more often (whatever they may be).

I definitely don't think it's bad to enjoy and eat all types of foods, especially if you are maintaining. However for me I wouldn't do that everyday since I have to think about nutrition, my protein goals as well as how it affects my sleep and workout performance.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I had a look at a bottle of "real mayonnaise" and what's in it. All those chemicals, some of them I can't even pronounce. Do I want them in my body? Me things not. If I want mayonnaise, I make my own. EasyPeasy.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I had a look at a bottle of "real mayonnaise" and what's in it. All those chemicals, some of them I can't even pronounce. Do I want them in my body? Me things not. If I want mayonnaise, I make my own. EasyPeasy.

If you make your mayo with raw eggs, it is way more dangerous than the store bought. Don't get me wrong I do make dishes with raw eggs but I understand the risks involved and avoid it at certain times in my life.

I use boiled, peeled whole eggs - just a bit of olive oil and a strong food processor. We vary spices and herbs. Recently we used a little bit of curry powder freshly mixed from Durban. My favorite - fresh herbs which we grow in our garden: chives, parsley, lemon grass, curry leaves, basil, thyme - no salt needed.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It's not a cheat. Just check that the other calories you consume that day are giving you proper nutrition. You can then bulk out your food with whatever you fancy. My only caveat would be - don't eat food that triggers cravings. I've cut out refined carbs and it's really shown me the difference between actual hunger (quite a pleasant nagging hollow feeling in the stomach that is capable of waiting 30 mins - 1 hour before dinner) and cravings (an obsessive mental hysterical chant of "I'm starving, let me eat everything in sight, immediately!)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I'll count the disagrees at the end of the day. :/

It's not cheating your calorie count but you might be cheating your body of much needed nutrients in place of a lot of salt, more or less empty carbs, that sort of thing. And I believe that too much salt, too many carbs instead of fresh vegs/lean meats/etc. if done all the time, is not the best way to go.
    There's room in our eating plans for everything, as long as we maintain balance and good nutrition, for the most part, along the way.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    ochoa_ml wrote: »
    If my meals consists of foods deemed unhealthy, like fried food or fast food, but I still stay within my calories, is this still considered a cheat? I may be within my calories but I’m not eating anything that’s good for me, so I feel I’m at a crossroads.

For example, I really like instant ramen (Top Ramen, Cup o Noodles, you name it) but anytime I eat it I feel really unhealthy afterward, even though it’s well within my calories.

Thoughts?

Did you enter into some kind of social agreement with someone else about your body? I'm guessing no. Then the term cheating just doesn't fit.
    Would I recommend you eat your big kid foods more? Sure. They'll probably help you stay on track too.
    The evidence suggest, if you're getting in your micronutrients in general, and going from obese or overweight towards a normal BMI, your health markers are probably going to improve even on a "poor" diet - it's been shown with things like McDonald's diets, and Twinkie diets.