Foods you refuse to try

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Lots of people hate them for how they actually do taste, though.

Yeah me, I hate them. To me they tasted more like cabbage.
    Maybe it’s like they say about cilantro, some say it tastes like soap. I love it , doesn’t taste like soap to me. Tastebuds?

Yes, more like cabbage: But I figured the PP might not eat that, either, since it looks like lettuce. :lol:

There've been genetic factors involved in how (some?) people respond to cilantro as soapy-tasting, or not. There are also people called "supertasters" who genetically experience some flavors differently than the average person. Who knows, there may be more genetic links to people's taste-preferences that are simply not known yet.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

Maybe it’s like they say about cilantro, some say it tastes like soap. I love it , doesn’t taste like soap to me. Tastebuds?

Yes, more like cabbage: But I figured the PP might not eat that, either, since it looks like lettuce. :lol:

There've been genetic factors involved in how (some?) people respond to cilantro as soapy-tasting, or not. There are also people called "supertasters" who genetically experience some flavors differently than the average person. Who knows, there may be more genetic links to people's taste-preferences that are simply not known yet.

That's good to know! You're right that I had not heard them described the way you did or as being more like cabbage. Of course now I actually have to try them which is makes my comment a complete fail :D
  • jbuller4
    jbuller4 Posts: 15 Member
    Uni
    Pigs feet
    Chicken feet
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I've tried a lot of the stuff people refused to eat here. Grasshoppers, lambs brain, calves testicals, kidney, chicken feet, beef tongue, spleen, blood sausage, cubes of congealed pigs blood in SE asian soups, tripe, durian, pigs ear, shark fin, never mind sushi, squid and octopus. Feel free to ask what any of these things were like.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    avocado, just yuck
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    So many. Of the top of my head...

Fruits: kiwi, papaya and persimmons. (I've tried each of these. Never again)
    Seafood: oysters, clams and octopus. (You'll never catch me eating these...ever)
    Red meat: steak. (There's so much c-h-e-w-i-n-g involved)

But I'm open to trying new things. Discovered eel nigiri this New Year's Eve and was pleasantly surprised. Have now eaten it several times.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    snake
    horse
    octopus - i tried to eat grilled octopus last time I was in San Diego but just couldn't do it
    cat
    dog
    shark/shark fin soup

I tried tripe in Cost Rica and I would kindly like to never eat it again :D
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    HEAD CHEESE. Gag!

02db2ygp8tq2.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    HEAD CHEESE. Gag!

Okay, I feel like they genuinely tried to create the least appealing picture possible because I've seen it before and it didn't look remotely that icky!

• noelkro80
    noelkro80 Posts: 248 Member
    Black pudding! 🤢
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    HEAD CHEESE. Gag!

02db2ygp8tq2.jpg

Wait?!? Head "cheese" isn't cheese??? :laugh:

I'd try it.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I'm going to need google for some of the foods mentioned. Lol I guess there are a whole bunch more I neglected to include that I'd've never thought of.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I've tried a lot of the stuff people refused to eat here. Grasshoppers, lambs brain, calves testicals, kidney, chicken feet, beef tongue, spleen, blood sausage, cubes of congealed pigs blood in SE asian soups, tripe, durian, pigs ear, shark fin, never mind sushi, squid and octopus. Feel free to ask what any of these things were like.

:s
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    I'd eat or have eaten everything mentioned above except durian and balut but I'd probably try them too under the "right" circumstances.

Only food that I hate to eat (but will eat if I hate to) is sauted unprocessed raw liver (doesn't matter what species) but will eat processed liver like pate, liverdwurst and foie gras.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    This thread is funny since I consider myself an adventurous eater (as I'd try most things if traveling or it were offered to me) but I keep alternating between posts where I think "yeah, that's one I wouldn't eat" (nothing endangered, no primates, no dogs or cats) and those where I think "but those are some of my favorite foods!" (sashimi/sushi, squid/octopus, avocados, brussels). Some others I think are just okay (sardines and similar fish, most organ meats with the exception of liver which is delicious and tongue which I don't like but wouldn't refuse to try again) but aren't especially squicky to me at all, whereas others do seem squicky (balut, durian, snake (I've enjoyed eel and don't think snake is especially weird, I just have an irrational antipathy to snakes)), but in the right situation I'd try them. I have no great desire to eat bugs but have tried some when traveling and would again.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I would probably be wary of any carnivorous mammals including cats and dogs, though I have no problem with carnivorous fish such as swordfish and tuna.

BTW, a Korean girlfriend showed me a fab way of eating sardines as a store cupboard meal when you haven't made it into the shops. Fry the sardines in the oil in the tin. Add a squeeze of lemon or a drizzle of vinegar.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,552 Member

The cilantro thing is genetic in my family, my mom, aunt, and I all taste soap. Literally it tastes like someone grated soap on my food, frustrating as I love Mexican and Vietnamese food without it! I don't know if I'm a super taster (love brussel sprouts!) but have been told I have an enhanced sense of smell.
  • arieswrite1
    arieswrite1 Posts: 15 Member
    Salmon. Whenever my parents had it when my brother and I were young, they gave us fish sticks and neither of us ever tasted salmon. The smell of it alone is enough to turn me away from it.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    I'd try pretty much anything at least once, so long as it's legit, edible food.

There's been discussion of cilantro in this thread. I only recently discovered I have that weird gene for it a few weeks ago. But it does not taste like soap to me. It tastes rotten/spoiled. I had it on a salad and I kept looking for bits that were pure brown, it tasted so bad. Then I Googled a lot and discovered cilantro is sometimes on tacos. I then realized that, a few years ago, I definitely had cilantro on a taco. Because at the time, I was completely convinced the meat had been spoiled. But it was the cilantro after all...lol

But like, I'd still eat it if someone gave me $5. Especially since I know now that it isn't actually spoiled food that can make me sick.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »

The cilantro thing is genetic in my family, my mom, aunt, and I all taste soap. Literally it tastes like someone grated soap on my food, frustrating as I love Mexican and Vietnamese food without it! I don't know if I'm a super taster (love brussel sprouts!) but have been told I have an enhanced sense of smell.

"Of course some of this dislike may come down to simple preference, but for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves." Britannica