New Cereal $13???

cathipa
cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
edited February 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Seem utterly ridiculous, but who would try it? On Amazon its $32, but GM is going to sell for $13.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Mills-Morning-Summit-Cereal/dp/B07QFYRLC6

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Nope. Pass.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Why is it so expensive?

But nope, I don't eat cereal anyway.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    👎
  • cathipa
    Why is it so expensive?

But nope, I don't eat cereal anyway.

From the article I read...

"We're innovating in new product forms that command premium price points, including our new Morning Summit cereal, which has almonds as a first ingredient and sells for $13 a box," the company's CEO Jeff Harmening told investors in a conference on Tuesday.

The cereal aimed at health-conscious consumers also contains organic coconut oil and pumpkin seeds. For sweetness, General Mills added dried sugary cranberries and dried cherries to the blend.

The sales price is part of a strategy to offer "compelling innovation" and "health benefits" that give consumers a reason to walk down the cereal aisle at grocery stores, Harmening said.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Maybe those are flakes of gold? The ingredients are dried cherries, dried cranberries, and almonds. The cost is likely a reflection of the ingredients. 280 calories for 2/3 of a cup and half those calories from fat, add some milk and we have over 300 calories that likely won't fill me for long. I like cereal once in a while, but this is a pretty easy nope for me for a few reasons.

Probably. A type of trail mix or granola. You could make it yourself, or a version of it, cheaper.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    not even if I won the mega millions!
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    I uh what. I thought it was going to be one of the special high protein cereals, like magic spoon or something? This is worse.
  • cathipa
    edited February 2020
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Maybe those are flakes of gold? The ingredients are dried cherries, dried cranberries, and almonds. The cost is likely a reflection of the ingredients. 280 calories for 2/3 of a cup and half those calories from fat, add some milk and we have over 300 calories that likely won't fill me for long. I like cereal once in a while, but this is a pretty easy nope for me for a few reasons.

Probably. A type of trail mix or granola. You could make it yourself, or a version of it, cheaper.

Looks like they are trying to cash in on the "halo effect" of the foods they have included. And at least if they are going to charge this much they could have made it "organic" and "nonGMO" :D
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Nutritionally...why? Economically...why? lol

You can make yourself a similar concoction for much cheaper and much more nutritionally balanced. The one you mentioned comes in at only 6g protein with a silly amount of added sugars.

If you have a bulk store near you, get some unsweetened dried berries (which are harder to find than one would think), some almonds and some nuts/seeds of your choice. Then head to the grocery store for an unsweetened (or low sugar) whole grain PLAIN cereal like Total or original Cheerios.

Mix.

Enjoy.

Invest the money saved.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I guess once you make your monthly Peloton payment, you go to the store and spend $13 on a box of cereal?

I get that good quality nuts can be expensive, so an ummm nut-forward cereal would be more expensive than your typical box. But I'd guess 2 lbs of just decent quality almonds would cost around that $13 range. I'll bet that 2 lbs is less than half nuts. If I saw that at half that price, I still wouldn't buy it, but I'd think it was more in line with trying to present it as a high end, life-affirmingly-clean, health cereal. $13 is just silly :tongue:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    The most expensive cereal I ever bought was in Ottolenghi's shop after having dinner in one of his restaurants. Converted to USD it's about $9.73 for a 500g bag (approx 1 lb).

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/ottolenghi-granola

It was totally extravagant but utterly delicious. Then someone on a blog posted the recipe as published in Ottolenghi's cookbook. I put it in the recipe builder and 50g serving was over 550 kcal.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Per ounce it is actually about the same as any other traditional cereal
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Special K protein. Cheaper and more protein per serving
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

I wondered about that and immediately googled Golden Grahams. GG is significantly cheaper.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited February 2020

An 18oz. box of Cheerios at Target is $3.79, that's $0.21 per ounce. 38 oz would be $8.00.
    An 18oz. box of Honey Bunches of Oats is $2.89. $0.16 per ounce.
    A 20oz. box of Grape Nuts is $3.59.

It is a much bigger box (which I didn't notice at first glance) so that certainly contributes to the wowza price, but it is still substantially more expensive, at least by US prices, $0.34 per ounce.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Just buy the regular cereal and add your own almonds, cranberries and cherries 🍒 much cheaper lol add your own coconut oils if you want that lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Will it clean my house and do my laundry? If not.... oh hell no!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would pay that or more if I could for my favourite cereal (which is not available in Canada) for special occasions but for that stuff? Nope.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I won't even pay that price for the best steak or lobster.