Women over 55+

Options
zee1957
zee1957 Posts: 159 Member
edited February 2020 in Motivation and Support
Hi I am 62
Would like to Find friends that can motivate each other. I’m from Minnesota and at this time of year it’s hard to walk outside and do things. I’m still working not retire yet and I need to lose at least 10 pounds in 30 days. snyc2rqg7mk2.jpeg

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds is a lot to lose in 30 days, if ten pounds is all you have to lose. It could create health risks, at our age. Or is that just your starting point? And why the deadline?

I'm 64, from over the way in Michigan, so similar climate issues. In the Winter, I mostly go to spin class, do rowing machine workouts, and strength train when I can talk myself into it.

Unlike you, I'm retired (have been for quite a while), and am pretty much sedentary, outside of intentional exercise. It's still possible to lose weight. After losing from obese to a healthy weight a few years back (at 59-60), I'm now maintaining.

What are your overall goals? How are working toward them?
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm still working, 57, lost 60 pounds over the past two years on MFP. I'd like to lose another 20, as I've gained back ten pounds this winter. We live in Maine, so it's cold here. I joined a gym and do weights three times a week, and do cardio three times a week, either at the gym, outside walking, or on my treadmill in the basement. Sometimes I slack off exercise, and sometimes my eating is crappy, but I'm still trying. This is for the rest of my life, so how much to lose in X amount of time is not my focus. It's taken me a long time to get here, so I'm determined to keep at it. Good luck!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’m in Minnesota too. Retired for 2 years. My main exercise is walking. I walk every day, even though we’ve had snow on the ground since before Thanksgiving. Only one day I haven’t walked. That was last week when we got a little over 9” of snow. I live in the country and we live on a township gravel road that seems to always get plowed last.
    Don’t get discouraged if you don’t lose 10 pounds in 30 days, that’s kind of hard to do unless you’re very overweight.
    Best of luck!
  • amerman5kim
    amerman5kim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody, first day at this new program. 58 years old and still working. Love walking with hubby and cooking at home. Weighed in today at 193. Logged everything I ate and will try to do aerobics tonight, we'll see how the night goes...Kim
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hello folks. We just had SNOW here, about 2 or less inches, in eastern Virginia. Expecting 70s this next week. I have a snow shovel in the shed I think and that's where it will stay. Me? 63, stay home mom with autistic son. I have lost 17 pounds this past starting month so do not despair. I think Intermittent Fasting has been key for me and not as much lost each week now. I have 55 pounds to go. I swim or do water exercises at the Y.
  • AMHS1958
    AMHS1958 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 61 and still working. I still have a few kilo's to lose and trying hard. I gym 3 days a week and walk 3 days a week. I live in New Zealand and its the middle of summer, very very hot at the moment!! Please feel free to add me. Alison
  • zee1957
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Ten pounds is a lot to lose in 30 days, if ten pounds is all you have to lose. It could create health risks, at our age. Or is that just your starting point? And why the deadline?

I'm 64, from over the way in Michigan, so similar climate issues. In the Winter, I mostly go to spin class, do rowing machine workouts, and strength train when I can talk myself into it.

Unlike you, I'm retired (have been for quite a while), and am pretty much sedentary, outside of intentional exercise. It's still possible to lose weight. After losing from obese to a healthy weight a few years back (at 59-60), I'm now maintaining.

• zee1957
    Options
    Hi. You’re probably 10 pounds is a lot but I have a very good reason for it. I haven’t seen my husband in over a year and I’m going to see him March 15. That is why. I now weigh 164 I’m losing slowly which is the right way. I was 189 last year. I’m only 4’11 so that is a lot of weight for me. I don’t exercise as I’m on the road most of the time. I’m a district manager so I do a lot of traveling. I did joined a gym just recently but I get bored so easily I stop going any ideas on that ?
  • zee1957
    Options
    Thanks everyone for joining I’m new at posting things and not really sure how to reply each and everyone. Don’t know all the little Ins and outs just yet. Please feel free to post. We had a beautiful day yesterday lots of sun and it sure felt good.
    Have a great weekend !
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My current schedule is to alternate weights at the gym, treadmill in the basement, and walking outside. The first two, I listen to music; outside, I enjoy the sounds of nature, especially when I am near the ocean. If you can get some time to move doing something you love, focusing not so much on calories burned and more on having fun, you'll look forward to fitting it into your day.
  • zee1957
    Options
    Thanks everyone ideas are awesome. Lots of information.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm 55 and this time of year it's hard for me to stay motivated. I love the outdoors but our East Tennessee weather has been crazy. Rain constantly then snow then rain some more and by the time the weekend gets here everything is soaked. This time of year I depend on my gym for spin class, swimming and weights. If your getting bored at your gym maybe try a class. Classes seem intimidating at first but they are full of people just wanting to have fun while losing weight.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I’m 68 and here everyday for mutual support. Add me if you would like.
  • CathyMcMac
    CathyMcMac Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 60 and restarting again. I lost 15 lbs and then gained back 10. I want to lose 34lbs. I will give you supports and ask for support, too. We can do it!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I will be 60 in three weeks. I’m at the high end of my maintenance range and am trying to drop 3 pounds to get back down where I’m more comfortable. I went on a 12-mile (mostly flat) hike on Sat., and normally I would think I could eat WHATEVER I wanted all day long because of the calorie burn. Without tracking and logging, and mindful, nutritious choices, I would have been waaay over my calorie limit because the exercise made me so hungry. That was really eye-opening.
  • CathyMcMac
    CathyMcMac Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about the importance of tracking. You are really telling the truth!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Every time I stop tracking my food my weight goes up a few pounds. I'm hoping to stay on top of it this time around. Doing weights after work tonight. I'm actually looking forward to it.
  • zee1957
    Options
    Good morning everyone.
    Im at 162.2. My goal is 160. The last two pounds will be hard. 160 is not my total goal this is my goal for now before I go on vacation 3/15.