What time do you try to stop eating by?

Options
13»

Replies

• noelkro80
    noelkro80 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I never eat later than 7pm then I’m in bed by 10pm & up at 6am for work & won’t eat until 9am them 14 hours of not eating have got me into a good routine so far for me anyway.
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I eat right up until I go to bed sometimes. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    circadian rhythm - lots of studies on the benefits of eating with your circadian rhythm and why when you eat does matter.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    circadian rhythm - lots of studies on the benefits of eating with your circadian rhythm and why when you eat does matter.

Correct. I put links to seven of them here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10782402/if-a-calorie-is-a-calorie-why-do-we-see-this/p1
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Timing of eating is unimportant related to weight. That said, I typically don't eat/snack after dinner.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Can you explain what this means? I don't eat when I'm asleep so I've got that going for me :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I often go out and return home at approximately 9:00 pm. Will definitely eat something after that time, as I rarely get to bed before 11:00 pm.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I have a strict rule of only eating while I'm awake.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

But not for weight management, unless it is helpful to the individual. There is preliminary evidence that disrupting the circadian clock increases heart disease risk (one of the reasons why shift workers tend to have more heart disease incidents), and eating is one of those things that may affect circadian rhythm among other things.

The problem is that this is a narrow way of looking at it. Obesity is the leading cause of heart disease, so making unsustainable choices that may help reduce disease on paper may not reduce disease in reality. You will want to stack the cards in your favor to lose weight first and foremost, then consider if making other changes would be practically viable. Making random "good for you" changes without considering how it would affect weight management is an exercise in futility.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

But not for weight management, unless it is helpful to the individual. There is preliminary evidence that disrupting the circadian clock increases heart disease risk (one of the reasons why shift workers tend to have more heart disease incidents), and eating is one of those things that may affect circadian rhythm among other things.

The problem is that this is a narrow way of looking at it. Obesity is the leading cause of heart disease, so making unsustainable choices that may help reduce disease on paper may not reduce disease in reality. You will want to stack the cards in your favor to lose weight first and foremost, then consider if making other changes would be practically viable. Making random "good for you" changes without considering how it would affect weight management is an exercise in futility.

I have had that same conversation with several people since I started dieting. Yes there are many things one can do to tweak and fine-tune one's choices in food, sleep habits, and so on, but when you're obese, reducing the risk of heart disease and postponing your mortality boils down to this:

1. Lose weight
    2. Everything else
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I've had as many calories as I want to have for the day.

Sometimes that's relatively early (6 PM), sometimes it's right before bed.

Weight loss is determined by how many calories you're consuming relative to what your body is using, not when you eat them.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    4pm...not related to weight loss - I just don't eat again after dinner at 4.

Related to this, was on vacation recently where dinner was closer to 7-8pm and I found it so uncomfortable going to bed on a full stomach. It always amazes me to hear people eating at 8, 9, 10pm - but I know others think I'm crazy for not eating after 4. totally an individual thing.