30 Pounds to Go - High Cholesterol

Options
So I have been struggling with weight loss. 30 pounds to be exact. I notice in the evening's I get very bad cravings for junk food (pizza- wings, sweets, etc) so I just drink alot of water and sleep my troubles away. I have a healthy grocery list of: Mushrooms
Greens
Carrots
Spinach
Broccoli
Tomatoes
Pickles
Seafood
Seltzer Water
Lemons
Seasonings
Hot Sauce
Turkey
Onions
Eggs

But I still have urges to eat bad. I would eat healthy for 2 weeks and the pounds come off but when friends and family come by and offer free bad food I just cant wait to eat it. I always look forward to it and I cant stop. When i have the urge to eat junk and I eat a healthy dinner I just scroll through instagram and look at food there. I can't help it. It's awful and my self control is out the window and it's so hard and no one ever talks about it much. Especially when you lose the weight and you still have thr cravings for junk. I could use the help, thank you.

Replies

• CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs cheat days. I’ll have 1 a week and make it glorious (ie no chain pizza places, only gourmet). I look forward to my cheat day all week and feel no guilt over it.
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    No such thing as good food or bad food..... its just food.

As long as you create a deficit, you will lose weight.
    Days that I feel hungrier, I eat at maintenance.

I eat pizza, wings, sweets, etc. pretty much every week.

I wish I can eat that but as I mentioned i have high cholesterol so that's a no for me...
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    Everyone needs cheat days. I’ll have 1 a week and make it glorious (ie no chain pizza places, only gourmet). I look forward to my cheat day all week and feel no guilt over it.

I cant do cheat days, high cholesterol. Which leads to heart disease and cancer. So no cheating for me..
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Your grocery list is the only food you allow yourself? Well of course you're having cravings!
    Your diet is way too restrictive to be sustainable.
    Even eating 'healthy' allows for a lot more different foods than you have on your list.

And attaching moral values to food is rarely helpful (good, bad, or even 'cheat' meals).
    Eat healthy 80-90% of the time and the other 10-20% you can eat some 'bad' food if you feel like it, as long as you stay within your calorie goal. That way, cravings are a lot less likely and your weight loss is a lot more sustainable.

Staying within my calorie goal is easy but I tend to end up binging on unhealthier food than healthier food.
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A few things, what cholesterol marking is actually high? There are several indicators and have to be taken into consideration as a whole. Is it LDL, total cholesterol, HDL, triglycerides, CRP, A1C?

Also, where are your proteins? What about fats? There is pretty strong evidence on improved metabolic markers with the consumption of fish (especially fatty fish), seafood, lean meats, olive oil and other low omega 6 oils, and fruits/veggies (especially avocados).

I suspect the variety will increase compliance and reduce cravings.

I have alot of food allergies thus the food constructions. And all the foods you listed are what I eat. I'm allergic to avocados.
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    If I understand things right, you feel you can't have any treats/bad foods in your shopping cart because of high cholesterol, but when people bring over treats, you go overboard because you've been depriving yourself and can't help yourself.

I think you're probably in very good company here, like 99 % of everyone on a highly restrictive diet.

I also think if you ever added up your binge calories, sat fat, and cholesterol and divided it up over the total days between binges, you'd probably discover you'd have been FAR better off allowing yourself 50 or a hundred calories a day for a treat. That means a 44 calorie piece of Dove chocolate or one cookie or something along those lines.

You should really try this method. You are not going to increase your cholesterol by adding in a small treat everyday which then helps you stave off binges. If anything, it'll give you more control over your intake of bad stuff and eliminate or greatly reduce the binging.

The problem is one cookie after a week or 2 of eating clean and healthy makes me indulge in more and more and I cant stop. It's like once my tastebuds touch the delicious unhealthy food my body just gets insane..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AquaMeow wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A few things, what cholesterol marking is actually high? There are several indicators and have to be taken into consideration as a whole. Is it LDL, total cholesterol, HDL, triglycerides, CRP, A1C?

Also, where are your proteins? What about fats? There is pretty strong evidence on improved metabolic markers with the consumption of fish (especially fatty fish), seafood, lean meats, olive oil and other low omega 6 oils, and fruits/veggies (especially avocados).

I suspect the variety will increase compliance and reduce cravings.

I have alot of food allergies thus the food constructions. And all the foods you listed are what I eat. I'm allergic to avocados.

Do you know what your metabolic profile looks like? It's hard to advise without knowing where the issues are.
  • AquaMeow
    Options

I wish I can eat that but as I mentioned i have high cholesterol so that's a no for me...

Not true... Speaking with a nutritionist would do you a world of good.

Ahhhhh more money to spend on a doctor to tell me to eat the things I already eat.
  • AquaMeow
    Options

Not true... Speaking with a nutritionist would do you a world of good.

Ahhhhh more money to spend on a doctor to tell me to eat the things I already eat.

If your not willing to help yourself, I'm not sure how people on the forums here are supposed to help you....

Well does anyone here have any experience with a nutritionist, how does it work and is it really worth it? Because I dont want to spend more money on doctors I already go to.
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    Should I see a dietitian or a nutritionist?