30 Pounds to Go - High Cholesterol

2»

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    edited February 2020
    Extra cardio should help with lowering cholesterol, or try adding in nacin at a decent dosage it’s one of the few over the counter supplements that will definitely help Boost HDL and modesty lowers LDL
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    edited March 2020
    I'm highish LDL and down 18 lbs of a target 25 lbs.

I noticed you dont have a lot of healthy fat in your list. I'm not a sweets guy but give me some fat and salt and I'm all about it.

One thing that has helped me reduce craving are healthy fats. So avocados, almonds, walnuts, olives, olive oil. Its helped me a lot. I'm 10x more successful when I make sure those.are in my diet.

My understanding is they also increase HDL which protects you from your LDL.

Hope that helps you.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    AquaMeow wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    If I understand things right, you feel you can't have any treats/bad foods in your shopping cart because of high cholesterol, but when people bring over treats, you go overboard because you've been depriving yourself and can't help yourself.

I think you're probably in very good company here, like 99 % of everyone on a highly restrictive diet.

I also think if you ever added up your binge calories, sat fat, and cholesterol and divided it up over the total days between binges, you'd probably discover you'd have been FAR better off allowing yourself 50 or a hundred calories a day for a treat. That means a 44 calorie piece of Dove chocolate or one cookie or something along those lines.

You should really try this method. You are not going to increase your cholesterol by adding in a small treat everyday which then helps you stave off binges. If anything, it'll give you more control over your intake of bad stuff and eliminate or greatly reduce the binging.

The problem is one cookie after a week or 2 of eating clean and healthy makes me indulge in more and more and I cant stop. It's like once my tastebuds touch the delicious unhealthy food my body just gets insane..

Have you considered buying single servings of something you really want, and having one every day at a certain time? Thus have x cookies every day, or a wafer bar, or something similar. Make it fit into your calories. If, say such a wafer bar has 140kcal and you eat 1400 per day, then that's only 10% of your diet that is 'bad', and not all of the ingredients within this bar are 'bad', thus the percentage is likely a lot lower.
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    I have high cholesterol that responds to a lower fat (but particularly low saturated fat) diet. Diet isn’t universally a cure though-so many people eat “clean” and it doesn’t fix their cholesterol.

Have you had yours retested after a period of eating “clean” to confirm that yours responds to dietary changes? Meaning- is the highly restrictive “clean” eating even accomplishing the intended goal?

Also-if you’re able to binge on treats without allergy issues, then you really may want to include them in your diet more regularly. Your grocery cart contains almost no fat (like unhealthily low) so even a daily high fat treat isn’t going to put your fat levels anywhere near a concern.

Do you eat anything with fat and/or anything with a hint of sweetness? Even fattier meats/fish? Cooking oil? Butter/cheese? Anything? Fat is a critical nutrient (it makes the brain work) and it can also help with feeling full (and curbing cravings). Not always-but often.

Things with a hint of sweetness - fruits/yogurts - can also help with satisfying a sweet tooth (plus yogurts can have protein and probiotics). Meaning eating watermelon regularly might help keep the urge to binge on other treats at bay.

FWIW-I eat 95% “healthy” stuff (very much what’s in your cart-but with expanded protein sources and I also include oats and beans/lentils, fruits, yogurts). The rest of my diet is comprised of “junk” (donuts, ice cream, pizza, chicken nuggets, Mac & cheese, etc). Also-I don’t call these foods junk. They are just higher calorie and often higher fat than what I typically eat and I don’t find them as filling so I eat them less often.

Eating that way I lose weight and my cholesterol is in check - without meds. Crazy restriction followed by a massive binge was not as effective for either.

Good luck!

I remember getting down to 135. And my cholesterol was still high but to be fair I was working out for over an hour and s half everyday. (I had a part time job and ALOT of time) to get in shape. I was eating not the greatest but I lost alot of weight due to high cardio and strength training.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Still gotta ask, which part of your cholesterol is high?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    edited March 2020
    Multiple questions about what type of cholesterol is high and why and whether it is of great concern. Multiple questions as to whether this effort is bringing the intended results. Is the OP's cholesterol issue one that responds to dietary changes?

I've yet to meet a doctor who wasn't ready to prescribe Zocor at the first hint of un-controlled cholesterol. I would definitely talk to my doctor and then a registered dietitian if the consensus decision was that my cholesterol levels were significant enough to warrant intervention AND that they were responsive to dietary changes. The doctor being ready to prescribe doesn't mean that you're ready to take the drug, it is just used as an illustration of how an outside professional is evaluating your risk factors.

The food ideation, the tendency to highly anticipate novel food and binge on it. They are all indications of highly restrictive diets and, perhaps, of higher than optimal deficits. They are NOT A MORAL JUDGEMENT OF WEAKNESS, FFS.

Multiple people have offered ideas on how to move beyond that. And how to even evaluate whether on average you would be better off to drop the good vs bad and average some treats together with the healthy stuff.

The biggest, correctable, weakness, that I see here is that the OP is so set in her decision making in trying to white knuckle through life that she is not open to rationally examining whether all these restrictions and rules are the primary driver for the problems she is having as opposed to an imagined lack of willpower.

When and if you're ready to re-examine everything, start from the beginning and question ALL of your assumptions.

I have a friend who needs epipen when she is exposed to shellfish. The last two ambulance visits at her workplace cost $550 each. THAT is a pretty clear cut case of an allergy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    AquaMeow wrote: »
    So I have been struggling with weight loss. 30 pounds to be exact. I notice in the evening's I get very bad cravings for junk food (pizza- wings, sweets, etc) so I just drink alot of water and sleep my troubles away. I have a healthy grocery list of: Mushrooms
    Greens
    Carrots
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Tomatoes
    Pickles
    Seafood
    Seltzer Water
    Lemons
    Seasonings
    Hot Sauce
    Turkey
    Onions
    Eggs

But I still have urges to eat bad. I would eat healthy for 2 weeks and the pounds come off but when friends and family come by and offer free bad food I just cant wait to eat it. I always look forward to it and I cant stop. When i have the urge to eat junk and I eat a healthy dinner I just scroll through instagram and look at food there. I can't help it. It's awful and my self control is out the window and it's so hard and no one ever talks about it much. Especially when you lose the weight and you still have thr cravings for junk. I could use the help, thank you.

I don't think your cholesterol is as relevant as your Restrict/Binge cycle. What's your weekly weight loss goal set to? Bump it down one and use those extra calories for some treat foods.

You'd be better off losing more slowly during those two weeks than losing faster but erasing your losses due to binging.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    A warm cup of something similar to hot chocolate works when I have a sweet craving at night.. ... cocoa powder, some splenda, dash of sea salt, almond milk and hot water.
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    I'm highish LDL and down 18 lbs of a target 25 lbs.

I noticed you dont have a lot of healthy fat in your list. I'm not a sweets guy but give me some fat and salt and I'm all about it.

One thing that has helped me reduce craving are healthy fats. So avocados, almonds, walnuts, olives, olive oil. Its helped me a lot. I'm 10x more successful when I make sure those.are in my diet.

My understanding is they also increase HDL which protects you from your LDL.

Hope that helps you.

Olives and olive oil are the only fata I could eat on your list. The rest u am highly allergic too