• Melolson14
    Melolson14 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Cause he asked me for help on what to do
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Make an MFP account for him, enter stats and find a calorie goal based on desired (and reasonable) rate of loss.. then go from there. Another option, enter his stats into https://tdeecalculator.net/ and find his TDEE, then figure the deficit from there. (250/day for .5 lb, 500/day for 1 lb, etc)

ETA: Without knowing current weights or activity levels, I'll add: If you don't already, you two could start going for an evening walk together, join a gym together, play tennis/badminton or any other active games you both enjoy. Go to the park and actually play and climb on the equipment, go for a hike, hit the beach and play... Just get active together. The more you move, the better you'll both be. If he has a riding lawnmower, get a push mower. Start parking further from the stores, take the stairs instead of elevator.. all those little things that will help get NEAT up will also help with weight loss.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan and I've lost 31 lbs
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    https://nutritionfacts.org/
    Also I don't like meat, bacon, chicken wings or pizza. XD
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If he is capable he needs to invest his own time into learning what he needs to do.

The mechanics are simple. You create an energy deficit by eating less food than you need each day. This forces your body to use stored energy to make up for the energy shortage. This results in weight loss.

However, there are many aspects of it that are going to vary from person to person. How a person controls their hunger while in an energy deficit. How they will handle eating the foods they enjoy on a calorie budge. How they will handle the mental challenges. None of it is super complicated usually but it takes a hands on approach and a willingness to learn and experiment when necessary.

However some people start losing weight simply by eliminating one caloric aspect of their diet. If your husband drinks a lot of his calories that is a common place to start. That will probably not work long term but it might be worth some easy pounds while the rest is learned.

Yes, when my OH wants to lose weight he simply cuts down on soda and french fries, and moves more.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    Make an MFP account for him, enter stats and find a calorie goal based on desired (and reasonable) rate of loss.. then go from there. Another option, enter his stats into https://tdeecalculator.net/ and find his TDEE, then figure the deficit from there. (250/day for .5 lb, 500/day for 1 lb, etc)

ETA: Without knowing current weights or activity levels, I'll add: If you don't already, you two could start going for an evening walk together, join a gym together, play tennis/badminton or any other active games you both enjoy. Go to the park and actually play and climb on the equipment, go for a hike, hit the beach and play... Just get active together. The more you move, the better you'll both be. If he has a riding lawnmower, get a push mower. Start parking further from the stores, take the stairs instead of elevator.. all those little things that will help get NEAT up will also help with weight loss.

And once all this is set up, OP, teach him how to manage this himself. I've heard too many problems with spouses trying to manage the other's weight loss then get accused of sabotage when things don't work out. Be supportive, but put the responsibility in his hands.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If my other half ever asked me for help with managing his weight I'd just get him to install MFP and tell me how many calories he needs for lunch and/or dinner and explain how to do that as I label everything with serving sizes in grams. I do all the cooking in the house and already input all the recipes we have for for dinner and leftovers for lunch most of the time so it'd be super easy!
  • ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Although my wife and I are both on diets, we both have very different approaches. It seems like it's one of those things that everyone has to find their plan that works. The one constant for both of us is that we both eat real food vs processed food. I am more scientific in that I need a goal and then need to log everything. Since I run a deficit, I also use the ANDI chart in order to maximize my nutritional density which seems to cut down on cravings. I am fine with planning ahead and following a set schedule which includes alot of repetition. Although my wife obviously runs a deficit, she doesn't count calories and log everything that she eats. She likes more variety/spontaneity than I do. Oddly, she does track her water. We eat the same dinner, but most other meals are independent of each other. Her dieting is more socially active and mine is more of a private matter. We both seem to have similar results at the scale.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »
    My husband wants to lose weight.
    What kind of things should I have him start doing? Any ideas would be great

He just needs to consume fewer calories than he requires to maintain his weight...exercise also for overall health and well being.

A good chunk of my initial weight loss was cutting out sodas and cutting back on alcohol...especially beer. A lot of people, guys in particular I think, drink quite a few of their calories so it's a pretty easy starting place if that is the case.

I did ultimately start counting calories for awhile. I found it to be a bit tedious, but also educational in terms of learning more about good nutrition and how much energy I need to feed myself.