Fitbit calories

Is it possible that whilst total steps from a fitbit can be shown as exercise, the calories dont get added in.
At the moment they are being added on to my daily allowance as available to eat, but i dont want to see the extra calories. I need to stick to my calorie allowance, but when i'm burning, its showing extra on my daily allowance, so my 1800 allowance jumps up to 2300. I want it to stay at 1800, whilst still showing that i've done the steps.

Is this possible or not?
Thanks

Replies

• CoreyLust
    CoreyLust Posts: 42 Member
    Turn 'add exercise calories on' too off
  • Msjournie
    Msjournie Posts: 16 Member
    CoreyLust wrote: »

Where is this located? I'm unable to find this
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Msjournie wrote: »

Where is this located? I'm unable to find this

I believe this is a premium-only feature.
  • vivjay67
    vivjay67 Posts: 11 Member
    that might be why i can't find it. I'm not a premium member. I can't find it
  • janejellyroll
    vivjay67 wrote: »
    that might be why i can't find it. I'm not a premium member. I can't find it

If you don't want to see the extra calories, your best option will be to unsync the Fitbit.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Why don't you want to fuel your activity?
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    You can find it under "goals" I don't think you need premium.

bym5g4ioasrk.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    You can find it under "goals" I don't think you need premium.

bym5g4ioasrk.jpg

Are you a premium member? I can also view it under goals, but it is locked for me (as I am not premium) on both the app and website view.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

While as a general rule I wholeheartedly endorse this, I am thinking that OP (or someone else reading this who is looking to do the same thing) may be using a TDEE method of calculating a calorie goal (including exercise at the front end).

And turning off exercise calories is a premium feature. If you don’t want to pay for that, you’ll be best off disconnecting your fitbit.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I am a premium member so apologies.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    vivjay67 wrote: »
    Is it possible that whilst total steps from a fitbit can be shown as exercise, the calories dont get added in.
    At the moment they are being added on to my daily allowance as available to eat, but i dont want to see the extra calories. I need to stick to my calorie allowance, but when i'm burning, its showing extra on my daily allowance, so my 1800 allowance jumps up to 2300. I want it to stay at 1800, whilst still showing that i've done the steps.

Is this possible or not?
    Thanks

Just disconnect your FitBit from MFP and look at your steps on your FitBit or FitBit app.
  • CoreyLust

While as a general rule I wholeheartedly endorse this, I am thinking that OP (or someone else reading this who is looking to do the same thing) may be using a TDEE method of calculating a calorie goal (including exercise at the front end).

And turning off exercise calories is a premium feature. If you don’t want to pay for that, you’ll be best off disconnecting your fitbit.

Which would be wise as myfitnesspal is not great and estimating this very accurately in the first place.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

Which would be wise as myfitnesspal is not great and estimating this very accurately in the first place.

Meh. There are a lot of layers involved in deciding what works best and while mfp May overestimate calorie burns for some exercises, that’s not universally true nor is the mfp exercise database the only mechanism through which to estimate calorie burns.

I am a runner and run anywhere from 0 to 60 miles a week. Due to such tremendous variation in calorie burn from week to week-a TDEE method is a terrible idea for me.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    edited March 2020

Maybe she wants to fuel her activity from body fat. Which appears to be why most use myfitnespal......

MFP's calorie goal already includes a deficit to burn bodyfat, as I'm sure you know. Depending on the amount of exercise and the weight loss rate a person has chosen, not eating back exercise calories (aka fueling their activity) can be a very bad idea because it can lead to an excessive calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Maybe she wants to fuel her activity from body fat. Which appears to be why most use myfitnespal......

MFP's calorie target is already a deficit calorie target. Depending on the size of the deficit, making that deficit larger with exercise and not accounting for that activity with additional calories can be dangerous and have further health ramifications.

If I were to use MFP's method (I use TDEE) I would get a calorie target of around 1900 calories. I road ride and mountain bike on the regular...a 30 mile road ride isn't anything unusual for me and I'll burn in the neighborhood of 1,000 calories doing that. If I didn't account for it, it would leave me at a net 900 calories consumed for the day which is a dangerously low net calorie intake for a grown man. Ultimately my fitness, performance, and recovery would suffer immensely...not to mention other health complications that come from under feeding by tremendous amounts.
  • CoreyLust
    edited March 2020
    while mfp May overestimate calorie burns for some exercises, that’s not universally true nor is the mfp exercise database the only mechanism through which to estimate calorie burns.

And who said this?
    I am a runner and run anywhere from 0 to 60 miles a week. Due to such tremendous variation in calorie burn from week to week-a TDEE method is a terrible idea for me.

Not to sure what that has to do with this thread... Nonetheless what exactly do you mean by a 'TDEE method?'
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Checked and this feature is only unlocked for premium members.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    edited March 2020

If she syncs a Fitbit, MFP is not estimating her exercise calories, it's just reconciling her calorie goal with what Fitbit says her total calorie burn for the day was, so it's irrelevant whether MFP is good at estimating exercise or not.
    Lietchi wrote: »

MFP's calorie goal already includes a deficit to burn bodyfat, as I'm sure you know. Depending on the amount of exercise and the weight loss rate a person has chosen, not eating back exercise calories (aka fueling their activity) can be a very bad idea because it can lead to an excessive calorie deficit.

Firstly MFP doesn't ask enough questions to establish an accurate TDEE or appropriate calorie deficit from the get go. Secondly you are assuming a lot about someone's specific goal and how this has been set up to just throw out a blanket statement that you should be eating back all the calories you burn through exercise.

Please define excessive deficit for the global population without knowing a single thing about their specific circumstances....

Then please explain exactly why your hypothetically excessive deficit as it applies to the entire world is a bad idea...

MFP isn't trying to establish a TDEE. It's only trying to estimate NEAT. It asks the questions that would be normal for estimating NEAT. If one starts with a NEAT estimate, one accounts for intentional exercise separately, such as by syncing a decent fitness tracker. If one tells MFP setup one wishes to lose X amount of weight per week, it adjusts calorie goal by enough calories below the NEAT estimate to accomplish that. One then monitors results for 4-6 weeks, and adjusts intake, if one happens to be a person for whom statistical estimates of calorie expenditure turn out to be materially inaccurate . . . which is unusual.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    while mfp May overestimate calorie burns for some exercises, that’s not universally true nor is the mfp exercise database the only mechanism through which to estimate calorie burns.

And who said this?

Not to sure what that has to do with this thread... Nonetheless what exactly do you mean by a 'TDEE method?'

Your giving advise in this thread and you don't know what TDEE method is? Do you know what NEAT method is? That is what MFP uses. Maybe some research and learning is in order?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

And who said this?

Your giving advise in this thread and you don't know what TDEE method is? Do you know what NEAT method is? That is what MFP uses. Maybe some research and learning is in order?

I promise you I have forgotten better information than you will ever know.

I'm asking you to define your made up terms.

There is no such thing as 'TDEE method', nor is there any such thing as 'NEAT method'. Now you are confusing variables that make up TDEE with methods used to calculate TDEE.

So since you have invented these terms. Please define what a 'TDEE and a NEAT method' are instead of trying to insult someone (who based on your childish and nebulous response) is far more educated and experienced in these topics than yourself.

Also stop implying that people are making various statements in their post because you have trouble understanding what you are reading.

You're the one asking the questions there Sparky. For someone who thinks they are so knowledgable, it doesn't show. It's not my job to educate one as illustrious as you. And I'm not the one who first used the term. Good luck!