How to “cut” to lose weight but maintain muscule

Options
Hi all,

So like most people I’ve been on a weight loss journey but I finally feel like I’m back in a good level headed place after undereating, overeating, over exercising etc.

I want to really try and find the right way to lose fat while at least maintaining my muscle. Currently I’m fairly active. For the last 2 months I’ve been on a regular schedule where I go to the gym 3 days a week (M, W, F) and spend about 45 mins to and hour lifting weights only (full body hypertrophy stuff), and the days I’m not in the gym I have pretty rigorous dance practice, I dance a minimum of 12 hours a week.

I’m not going to say I haven’t noticed any changes because that’d be pretty weird considering my activities. I have noticed I’m stronger and fast and have more stamina all that fun stuff, but I haven’t really been losing inches or losing weight. I really want to start losing fat even if it’s just a little at a time, and I know I should cut but I just want to go about it the right way to avoid any relapses in under/over eating and stuff. I have been mostly eating whatever I want but still being conscious, just eat when I’m hungry till I’m full, eat something sweet if I want it. So I’ve mostly just been mainting my weight which is great but now I’d really like to focus on cutting some fat.

Sidenote: I have protein shakes but only on days I go to the gym, I drink them right after. I’m 5’3 and 175!

Any tips for calorie intake, nutrition instake stuff like that?

Thanks! <3

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Follow a progressive training programme for weights, get plenty of protein (1g per lb of LBM, or 0.8g per lb of ideal weight if you don't know LBM), sensible deficit (a 500 cal/day deficit would be fine for now, lowering to 250 cal per day when you're closer to goal weight).

Easy as that :)
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Don't eat by feeling. Like said above me log what you are doing already. Eat as you normally would to start. Then try to reduce the fluctuations in serving size and calorie intake. Next seriously evaluate if you are eating healthy. How much sugar, carb, bread fat etc. Minimize those. Most person have to increase your protien. Lots of people were telling me I had to eat my weight in protien. What I actually needed was just 20 more grams per day. Once you have that all set go 2 - 300 caloric deficient on a daily basis.

Does not sound like much but the slower you cut the healthier and the more likely it will be your new equalibrium. Expect up and down days, even weeks. If this bothers you don't use a scale. Use body fat percentage or strictly Asthetic appearance.

@Elizabeth has some great points too.

It can be done. I lost 35 lbs and gained muscle at the same time. For ladies it take a little longer but it absolutely can be done.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,632 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    +1 in terms of count what you're eating now (which by itself might result in a small cut) and then increment that by a small 250ish deficit on top.

While Nony's 500 Cal suggestion makes sense given your starting point weight wise, your prior under/over eating and overexercising history as described argue for caution, and as small of a change as possible as long as it pushes you in the right direction
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Building onto what others are suggesting. If you aren't on a structured plan, I would start there. I am sure what you are doing is a good start, but to muscle balance and have a more optimal program, I recommend following something structured like StrongCurves, Thinner Leaner Stronger, NROL4W, etc..

Nutritionally speaking, where possible it's best to focus on whole foods with adequate variety. This way you maximize the nutrient profile and ensure you are getting adequate vitamins and minerals. I would agree starting with a smaller deficit 300-600 calories is a good place to start.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I think fibre is important too. Both for digestion and keeping the system clean. I have no special advice on this other than personal experience. More fruit/veggies and a good fibre drink in the evening helped me find my abs.