60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Just checking in here. Went to the gym this morning for the my first lifting workout in a couple of weeks. Lordy, the strength goes away quickly. Bench was off about 15 pounds, but deadlift was off about 40 pounds. Yikes! A reminder to find a way to do some sort of lifting workout, even when away from the gym.

Y'all have an awesome day!
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I have been having a few geat days since my last check-in so that got me to reflecting. I guess that's an important part of this journey- looking at my behaviour and trying to figure out the whys. When I was away at the wine shin-dig I did OK- 7/10 on the plan. But when I got to my sisters' house I was completely off the ranch in terms of sweets and portion size. When I came back home I easily went back on plan and have (as @AnnPT77 said) already lost 2.1 of the 3+ pounds I gained during that 6 days. So why this lapse???? I have done a lot of reading about self-sabotage and the only one that seems to resonate is thinking " it is not fair that I have to miss out on sweets forever " which strikes me a childish for a preT2DM with a bad heart history. Almost like a tantrum. Embarrassing really. Any insights, comments, suggestions? Thanks
    Hello to all the new people. It is so nice to see everyone working on their health. Keep checking in and add your questions, musings, frustrations. There are a lot of people here that are very wise indeed and full of support. Welcome back @poisonesse.
    Good work @alligatorrob, you"ve got this.
    Onward and downward, B
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Just checking in from my work station. I still pull 40 hours a week as a IT professional. I know retirement will come some day but really enjoy my career.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :)bacpath Abstinence is useful tool to many people with serious health issues (alcoholics, celiac, allergies to nuts, shellfish, strawberries) It's a.personal and adult decision to abstain from certain foods for your health. I am capable of abstaining from many foods that I am not able to eat in moderation. :)
    <3 Barbie from NW WA
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi all and welcome to the group newbies.

Been staying busy. Decided it would be a good idea to listen to the media and headed to the big box store (you know the one with the hot dogs, ice cream and pizza you must walk past to exit store) and stock up on supplies. As usual my tracker was completed early in the morning.

After shopping rushed to exercise class in the building followed by a nice walk around the neighborhood in the sunshine noticing natures changes as the days get longer. Next was a meeting and pizza lunch was served, ugh oh!!! I've so been craving pizza. Wait, ok I can take a slice for tomorrow and track accordingly right?

So pizza goes in the fridge and I hurry to knitting group. That 700 calorie slice (who knew) was calling out to me so I thought about it, reworked my tracker and took another short walk so I'd stay in the calorie green, prepared an extra-large salad for a filling side and savored every bite of the pie.

I must teach myself how to sensibly eat what I'm craving or enjoy traditionally as long as they won't change my path forward. As @barbiecat mentioned there will be things where abstinence is the only choice. @bacpath I hope you can find the answers to keeping your resolution scales in the green and still enjoy your favorite things in moderation by planning, moving and reflecting on what's best each day.

Having this thread for sharing our challenge and glory makes each day more manageable. Thanks for listening. Thanks for sharing. Please keep coming back. Om....

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to come here & see how everyone's doing & what ya'll up to. Today was way too busy but not my fault. I had to take a client to Dr which didn't take long at all but the few errands I had to do after took a long time due to the crowd's at Costco & Walmart & the traffic. I stopped by the pharmacy on way home & mentioned how busy it is & the pharmacy person said it's due to ppl stocking up due to the corona virus. It was crazy. By the time I got home (it took 2.5 hours) I was too tired to walk (good thing I walked before I left), go to dog park, gym or start lasagna for tomorrows pot luck. My friday job is very physical & tiring so I really wanted to start it today. I get in about 8,000 steps on friday mornings. So today I did good on my calories. I still have 700 left for dinner, I'm not going to eat all of them. Had lots of protein today which keeps me full
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,296 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    It's so nice to come here & see how everyone's doing & what ya'll up to. Today was way too busy but not my fault. I had to take a client to Dr which didn't take long at all but the few errands I had to do after took a long time due to the crowd's at Costco & Walmart & the traffic. I stopped by the pharmacy on way home & mentioned how busy it is & the pharmacy person said it's due to ppl stocking up due to the corona virus. It was crazy. By the time I got home (it took 2.5 hours) I was too tired to walk (good thing I walked before I left), go to dog park, gym or start lasagna for tomorrows pot luck. My friday job is very physical & tiring so I really wanted to start it today. I get in about 8,000 steps on friday mornings. So today I did good on my calories. I still have 700 left for dinner, I'm not going to eat all of them. Had lots of protein today which keeps me full

Wow busy lady!
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good morning 60 & uppers :) Been doing well with my eating and moving as well, but seem to be at a plateau. No worries, this too shall pass B)

alteredsteve175, hey at least you are going to the gym :) Give yourself a pat on the back for effort.

bacpath, Hey good for you you're losing the little bit you gained (((hug))) As for how I deal with that "why me" feeling sorry for myself thing is to... Have a keto choclate mug cake for breakfast about once a week (that takes care of my chocolate cravings) and deconstructed pizza now and then (all you love in a pizza but the crust). You can find the recipe for both on the Pinterest page :smiley:https://www.pinterest.com/frantz_lynn/ Oh, I nearly forgot... I also found a butter cookie (Dollar General) that is very low in carbs and calories I sometimes have two with my morning coffee B)

josephinebowman Welcome and congrats on your 26 pound loss :) You've come to the right place for encouragement and support. Keep coming back.

ekim2016, good to see you pop in :) Retirement will come before you know it and you find you are busier than when you worked LOL

barbiecat, I'm with you on abstaining from those foods that are a trigger for me to binge ;) I can't have those darn Lays Jalapeno Poppables in the house ... they just disappear LOL

j29t, sounds like you had a really busy day :smiley: There are ways to do the eating thing and not completely deprive yourself of all the things you like... read what I wrote to bacpath... You'll find those things that satisfy without causing a binge ;) We can do this if we stick to it and be there for one another <3

AnnPT77, I love the crocuses :smiley: I haven't seen any up this way yet. If you find a way to eat Old-school Taco Flavor Doritos in moderation, please share and it might help me with my Lays Jalapeno Poppables LOL

Evamutt, I will say a prayer for you to get through today o:) 8000 steps wow... Hey, you could have had a piece of j29t's pizza with those 700 calories left LOL

annliz23 Good to see you :wink:

Have a blessed day everyone :smiley:

Shout out to my friends <3
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) Things take time. Every good habit I have or sterling insight has come with time. It took me lots of experimentation to find out what foods to avoid. Then I read "Salt, Sugar, Fat--how the food giants hooked us" and learned why no one can eat just one of their chip or cracker or cookie of choice.

:) Gotta get going. Dogs want a long walk and have to be dressed and ready for my line dance class by 9:00.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,296 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Things take time. Every good habit I have or sterling insight has come with time. It took me lots of experimentation to find out what foods to avoid. Then I read "Salt, Sugar, Fat--how the food giants hooked us" and learned why no one can eat just one of their chip or cracker or cookie of choice.

:) Gotta get going. Dogs want a long walk and have to be dressed and ready for my line dance class by 9:00.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Enjoy your dog walk and your dancing class!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    bacpath wrote: »
    So why this lapse???? I have done a lot of reading about self-sabotage and the only one that seems to resonate is thinking " it is not fair that I have to miss out on sweets forever " which strikes me a childish for a preT2DM with a bad heart history. Almost like a tantrum. Embarrassing really. Any insights, comments, suggestions?

The realization that you are sabotaging yourself is the first step. You just gotta' be mindful all the time. Easier said than done. I also struggle with that self-sabotage sometimes.

One thing I do is force myself to drink a glass of water and wait 5 or 10 minutes. If I am still hungry after 10 minutes, I will get something to eat. Usually try to make it somehting that fits in the food plan.

• bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think I must have a death wish. Yesterday a friend and I went to Gardenville to pick up a load of compost to the tune of six cubic yards. The entire bed of my friend's longbed pickup was filled to the brim. Then the two of us (60 and 65 yrs old) unloaded the *entire* thing by ourselves, half at her place and half at mine. Today I'm moving what got dumped at my place to the new planting beds. It's going to take me a couple of days to get it all where I want it, one wheelbarrow load at a time. The compost was well worth the cost at $60 bucks for the entire load, but next time we are going to conscript her son to help unload it. Whew! Right now I'm taking a break and being naughty by kicking back with a well earned beer - 'bout to go out and sit on one of garden benches and enjoy the birds while I'm at it. The yard doesn't look the way I want it yet, but it will get there, slowly but surely (just like losing weight).

I just want to get all the hard labor involved with prepping and planting these new beds done before the spring/summer heat sets in.
  • pippo_11
    pippo_11 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    Just checking in from my work station. I still pull 40 hours a week as a IT professional. I know retirement will come some day but really enjoy my career.

Same here; IT and 40+ hours a week. I have no intention of retiring while I’m still on top of it. I love my job and it fills in 8 hours every day!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)bethe Congrats on your compost. That's the kind of job I have to do a little at a time. Every spring I have four cubic yards of fine bark delivered and spread it in my yard by hand a little at a time. It takes a lot of my spring and summer. I have a history of back injury and surgery so I am forced to be moderate.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif I walked the dogs for more than 90 minutes before breakfast and then cleaned up and changed my clothes to teach line dance. I lead a 30 minute open dance session with group of more intermediate dancers and then teach the 90 minute beginner class. It's a great way to spend the morning.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    How marvelous to teach line dancing! And I wish I had mulch ... really. I am spending my mornings 7-9ish digging 'stuff' from some vacant lots I sold a couple of weeks ago. I have 30 days to remove what I want. Today I moved a forsythia and mostly daffodil or similar bulbs. It rained and I thought I would freeze. Then 1 dumb little e-mail thing just blew my day. So out of perspective. We (boy and me) ran away and shopped, ate out, pooled at Y, and found a former co-worker/friend at a Tractor Supply Store. Chicks, ducks, and turkeys were in. Not allowed in my neighborhood but still the boy was fascinated by the sight. Went over my usual calories but will atone for today's gluttony over the next 4 days until I do my Tuesday weigh-in. One Friday fall does not lose the battle nor the war.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) when I lived somewhere where I could have raised chickens, I was working full time. When I retired, I moved to a neighborhood that doesn't allow them Oh, well :'(
  • n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone. Checking in after several days. I continued my walking-to-work plan all week, stayed on track with my logged food (not eating my exercise calories) and just did my weekly weigh-in and had a 2-1/2 lb loss, I am SO happy! This just shows if I stick to it, I can lose the weight. I love pre-logging my food, it keeps me focused on what I need to do and makes it less likely I will come home hungry and stressed with no food plan, and then I binge eat. My food plan this week included a treat at the end of the day, a Yasso yogurt ice cream bar or fruit and choc chips, so I never felt like I was being deprived. It is cold here today and windy but this weight loss makes me want to get out and MOVE. Hope everyone has wonderful Saturday!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) The dogs and thoroughly enjoyed our morning walk in the daylight knowing that starting tomorrow we'll be walking the dark again for a few weeks. The promised snow/drizzle never came so we returned home dry.

:) I plan an evening treat so I don't get too hungry and eating something that doesn't move me forward toward health. Usually it is oatmeal with a single serve cup of sliced peaches. I make four servings of oatmeal in my slow cooker and divide it, putting three servings in small refrigerator containers and eating the fourth. It is sweet and nourishing.

<3 Barbie in NW WA