New workout log accuracy for Calories

Options
Iragen
Iragen Posts: 61 Member
I recently noticed the workout routine feature when logging exercises. I liked how it looked since it included volume and I am trying to learn about that while I exercise and lose weight, but minimize strength loss. At the end of logging everything is basically said I burned 800 calories (I wish).
But I figured I ask since maybe high volume and moderate weight exercises do get good calorie burns.

I worked out for about an hour with minimal rest in between sets (longest rest was about 70 seconds and shorted was 15 seconds).

Is it possible high volume sets of weight lifting can get close to that level of calorie loss?

Or am I better off logging it as strength training as I normally do which says I lose around 250-330 calories?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    800 calories in 90 minutes? Nope. It was strength training right? Then you know what to do.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    According to my Garmin i burnt about 1500kcals from my sesh today. I did about 2 hrs cardio, and an hour of weghts, then power plate. I hope its accurate!
  • Iragen
    Options
    phinners wrote: »
    According to my Garmin i burnt about 1500kcals from my sesh today. I did about 2 hrs cardio, and an hour of weghts, then power plate. I hope its accurate!

Jeez, yeah. Yours sounds accurate. I did about 6 minutes on the elliptical as a warm-up, 65 minutes roughly for strength training and then finished with the treadmill doing interval training for about 12-13 minutes. Going up to a 10 speed for my dashes and staying at a 2.5 or 3 speed for my rest phases. Then did a cool down walk for 3 minutes.

I feel like all that would equal 300-400 calories, but this new tracking feature has my hopes up lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Chasing elevated calorie burns by minimising rest periods when lifting is probably working against your goal of maintaining your strength.

Elliptical warmup - warmup suggests low intensity so low calorie burns.
    Your training sounds more like circuit training with weights rather than traditional strength training, probably a higher rate of calorie burns than lower rep, longer rest, higher weight strength training.
    Interval training (treadmill) is a relatively low calorie burn due to the easy recovery intervals.
    Cool down - again low calorie burn.

I think your "I wish" comment about 800 calorie burn sums it up nicely!!

(PS.... beware heart rate monitor derived estimates for interval cardio if that's what you are using as will tend to greatly over-estimate, can feel hard, heartrate can remain elevated for periods when you are doing little work but not the way to burn a lot of calories if that's your priority.)
  • Iragen
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Chasing elevated calorie burns by minimising rest periods when lifting is probably working against your goal of maintaining your strength.

Elliptical warmup - warmup suggests low intensity so low calorie burns.
    Your training sounds more like circuit training with weights rather than traditional strength training, probably a higher rate of calorie burns than lower rep, longer rest, higher weight strength training.
    Interval training (treadmill) is a relatively low calorie burn due to the easy recovery intervals.
    Cool down - again low calorie burn.

I think your "I wish" comment about 800 calorie burn sums it up nicely!!

(PS.... beware heart rate monitor derived estimates for interval cardio if that's what you are using as will tend to greatly over-estimate, can feel hard, heartrate can remain elevated for periods when you are doing little work but not the way to burn a lot of calories if that's your priority.)

Thank you for that breakdown. Looking back, my program my trainer gave me is a blended routine. I have 6 exercises so maybe it's more circuit training?

Today was 5 sets of deadlifting, 8 reps
    95lbs, 135lbs 155pbs 175lbs x 2
    4 sets of kettle bell swings 16-20reps
    25lb KB, 35lb, 45lb, 45lb
    3 sets Single arm dumbbell row for 8reps
    5 sets of seated cable rows for 8 reps
    95lbs, 110lbs, 125lbs, 145lbs (could only get 6 reps so I dropped weight) and 135lbs for 8

Super set of 3 sets of paloff press and 3 sets of slam ball.
    Super set of 3 rounds of banded squats, 3 rounds of band walks and 3 rounds of monster walks