WHO has just declared Coronavirus a pandemic

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    Hoping this designation lights a fire under us all.

Washing hands now.

I've never lived anywhere that has had the level of social distancing already encouraged by the government and health authorities. As we get smarter and have access to more information and much more quickly, I'm hopeful that we can stem the increase in cases, such as was seen with MERS and the other SARS virus, and other contagions.

This is a pretty good comparison article from yesterday:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-compared-to-sars-swine-flu-mers-zika-2020-3
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Article highlighting just how much more widespread this could be (probably is) and a missed opportunity in Seattle for earlier warning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/just-everywhere-already-delays-testing-121556497.html
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I wondered when I saw a headline about this the other day. Where are all of these students, with no money and likely far from home, supposed to go?

https://news.yahoo.com/barely-kept-crying-schools-universities-004713428.html
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I‘ll probably get the virus. Moving to Germany in April. Lots of infected people there.
    Why was the other thread closed?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Article highlighting just how much more widespread this could be (probably is) and a missed opportunity in Seattle for earlier warning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/just-everywhere-already-delays-testing-121556497.html

It started with delays in disclosure by China.

I mean, I can see why.

Doesn't make it right.

I think I got it back in early December. I was really sick, and at the time I even said, "This isn't like any other illness I've ever had. All this coughing." The coughing was awful and it went on for weeks, but I never had a fever that I know of. Then I got a sinus infection for another two weeks.

Luckily I was just really sick for a month. Just prior to that I was involved with quite a lot of people. I'm in Seattle, so it makes sense that we have a lot of people here from China, Japan and Eastern Europe. I haven't been tested, but I think it's been here for a lot longer than the two weeks we are being told. It's just I didn't die.

I think my husband may have had it as well, coughed his head off for weeks but no fever (that he admitted to). Possibly a friend as well, diagnosed with a lung infection after coughing for a couple of weeks. Both around the beginning of Feb. Who knows, it could have been another virus but such very similar symptoms. It's certainly not sweeping through our community so I don't know what to think.
  • try2again
    Options
    Even though we've been encouraged to sanitize commonly touched surfaces, I had never considered the car until I heard some advice last night to wipe down the steering wheel, controls, & handles after each trip to a public area. Seems reasonable. Will stick sanitizing wipes in the car.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I washed my hands before coming in here. NY currently has the highest number of infected in the USA.
  • try2again
    Options
    Other thread is back up.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yes, other thread is open. Let's try to keep discussion there.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yes, other thread is open. Let's try to keep discussion there.

You're not the boss of me!! :laugh:
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I was shocked when I checked in and the other thread was closed. There's been a little bit of misinformation put out by a couple of posters, but the thread itself had been incredibly civil, to my mind. It made me wonder if, in the case of a pandemic, there will be new guidelines?

As someone who routinely cruises the debate thread, I was thinking the same thing!

My thoughts when seeing all these big events being canceled this month is how long will this need to go on? We still don't know whether warm weather is going to slow this thing down.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

It started with delays in disclosure by China.

I mean, I can see why.

Doesn't make it right.

I think I got it back in early December. I was really sick, and at the time I even said, "This isn't like any other illness I've ever had. All this coughing." The coughing was awful and it went on for weeks, but I never had a fever that I know of. Then I got a sinus infection for another two weeks.

Luckily I was just really sick for a month. Just prior to that I was involved with quite a lot of people. I'm in Seattle, so it makes sense that we have a lot of people here from China, Japan and Eastern Europe. I haven't been tested, but I think it's been here for a lot longer than the two weeks we are being told. It's just I didn't die.

If it was early December in the US, it is highly doubtful you had this virus. I am in NC, and I have a student who has been coughing since January. There are many nasty viruses around. Just my opinion.