WHO has just declared Coronavirus a pandemic

Options

Replies

• DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Ha! I didn't know the other thread was shut down for awhile. I didn't see any problems in it. Some people are in a different place with this--they will come around, sadly.

As of today we, in Italy, are confined to our homes except for buying necessities. All non-essential businesses are closed. We are to follow China's example, since it's working. The streets are deserted. There are lines outside of grocery stores. This is a government mandate for 2 weeks, but I expect it to last a month (or more?). My husband already had cabin fever this morning, it's like being locked up with a kid. I sent him to his office across the street. Sigh. It's going to be a long month.

On the front page of one of our newspapers this morning is a photo of a young man ( a soccer player)in the hospital with a respiratory mask on. He said "I thought I was young, strong, and invincible. I was wrong". He also said " All of a sudden I couldn't breathe".

It astonishes me that're even allowing lines to form, outside of grocery stores. Standing within a line's no different, than standing within a crowd or being within, any other type of gathering.

With the quarantines that Italy's implementing countrywide, I'd have thought that a member via 1 household at a time'd have to choose a time slot of 15 minutes to shop. To keep even necessity shoppers, via coming into contact with each other.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I get into some deep thinking while I'm showering. My whole thought revolved around the eye-opening thought of how many people am I shaking hands with every day when I sign those credit card thingies at the stores?? :( Talk about not knowing who you're coming into contact with. :(
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Today I cancelled my Morocco trip that I had planned since November. Again, not of the fear of the virus, but of the fear of getting back if more countries start banning flights etc. Sucks. Money is money, we can always make more, but health and well being is another thing.

Who knew when this thread started it would come to this in such a short time? So sorry, but I think you made the smart decision.

@ReenieHJ
    I thought about this as I touching the key pad when I was using my debit card grocery shopping last week. They don’t have the tap kind yet. We just have to be vigilant and keep our hands away from our faces until we can wash or sanitize them.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ha! I didn't know the other thread was shut down for awhile. I didn't see any problems in it. Some people are in a different place with this--they will come around, sadly.

As of today we, in Italy, are confined to our homes except for buying necessities. All non-essential businesses are closed. We are to follow China's example, since it's working. The streets are deserted. There are lines outside of grocery stores. This is a government mandate for 2 weeks, but I expect it to last a month (or more?). My husband already had cabin fever this morning, it's like being locked up with a kid. I sent him to his office across the street. Sigh. It's going to be a long month.

On the front page of one of our newspapers this morning is a photo of a young man ( a soccer player)in the hospital with a respiratory mask on. He said "I thought I was young, strong, and invincible. I was wrong". He also said " All of a sudden I couldn't breathe".

It astonishes me that're even allowing lines to form, outside of grocery stores. Standing within a line's no different, than standing within a crowd or being within, any other type of gathering.

With the quarantines that Italy's implementing countrywide, I'd have thought that a member via 1 household at a time'd have to choose a time slot of 15 minutes to shop. To keep even necessity shoppers, via coming into contact with each other.

People are require to stay 4 feet (a meter) away from the next person in line. I'll be going grocery shopping in an hour. I'll let you know how it goes.

Okay, that definitely makes it better & I hope that you're able to obtain everything, that you need!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    I might have to cancel my vacation to northern Vietnam in April. Despite being in Asia, there is less chance of catching the virus in Vietnam (30 cases in Vietnam, no deaths) than at home (590 cases in the UK, 10 deaths, 136 cases in London). Vietnam has stopped issuing visa's to Europeans. We were told to apply again in 2 or 3 weeks in case the situation changes. I am not hopeful.

I have hay fever and would worry about being quarantined in Vietnam or Turkey if I am caught sniffling. We were planning to fly London-Instanbul-Hanoi and then Hanoi-Ho Chi Minh City-London.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I might have to cancel my vacation to northern Vietnam in April. Despite being in Asia, there is less chance of catching the virus in Vietnam (30 cases in Vietnam, no deaths) than at home (590 cases in the UK, 10 deaths, 136 cases in London). Vietnam has stopped issuing visa's to Europeans. We were told to apply again in 2 or 3 weeks in case the situation changes. I am not hopeful.

I have hay fever and would worry about being quarantined in Vietnam or Turkey if I am caught sniffling. We were planning to fly London-Instanbul-Hanoi and then Hanoi-Ho Chi Minh City-London.

I would just like to tell you that by April things could and probably will be a lot worse. Many countries are not reporting their cases. It is very risky to travel at this time--take a raincheck.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

People are require to stay 4 feet (a meter) away from the next person in line. I'll be going grocery shopping in an hour. I'll let you know how it goes.

Speaking of lines, there have been some changes to our polling places for the primary on Tuesday because some of them are in nursing homes (and they are getting rid of all of those). My last polling place was, although my current one is an elementary school. Given this, the likelihood of lines being long seems possible (although maybe everyone will stay home instead of voting). I may go early vote tomorrow instead.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Speaking of lines, there have been some changes to our polling places for the primary on Tuesday because some of them are in nursing homes (and they are getting rid of all of those). My last polling place was, although my current one is an elementary school. Given this, the likelihood of lines being long seems possible (although maybe everyone will stay home instead of voting). I may go early vote tomorrow instead.

I vote by mail and actually just mailed in my ballot today for Tuesday's primary. I know not everyone is offered that option, but I've been doing it ever since they started offering it here. It's great...no lines, no dealing with people, and you can take your time to research your choices and fill out the ballot.
  • GirlWithCookies
    GirlWithCookies Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Has anyone on this thread had their job be directly affected by the pandemic? My boyfriend and I work for a newspaper company in Maine, U.S. The first confirmed case of coronavirus in the state was reported today, and my boyfriend said that we need to make a plan in case we lose our jobs. I think he's being a little overcautious — in print or online, there is always a demand for news, and the majority of the company employees can work from home.

Also, I see many posters here are choosing to cancel international trips. Are people (whose countries are not locked down) also avoiding leaving their immediate geographic areas? I'm supposed to go to a bridal shower in two and a half weeks in Massachusetts, and a wedding in New York on Memorial Day weekend. It's my boyfriend's cousin who is getting married, and he thinks the bride and groom should just cancel everything. Again, I think he's being a tad dramatic, but maybe I'm under-reacting? I'm not going around licking car door handles or anything, but I wasn't planning on becoming a hermit, either.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Has anyone on this thread had their job be directly affected by the pandemic? My boyfriend and I work for a newspaper company in Maine, U.S. The first confirmed case of coronavirus in the state was reported today, and my boyfriend said that we need to make a plan in case we lose our jobs. I think he's being a little overcautious — in print or online, there is always a demand for news, and the majority of the company employees can work from home.

Also, I see many posters here are choosing to cancel international trips. Are people (whose countries are not locked down) also avoiding leaving their immediate geographic areas? I'm supposed to go to a bridal shower in two and a half weeks in Massachusetts, and a wedding in New York on Memorial Day weekend. It's my boyfriend's cousin who is getting married, and he thinks the bride and groom should just cancel everything. Again, I think he's being a tad dramatic, but maybe I'm under-reacting? I'm not going around licking car door handles or anything, but I wasn't planning on becoming a hermit, either.

My aunt chose to cancel a trip from CA to Baton Rouge, because she didn't want to risk bringing the virus there. The family she was going to visit is elderly and in bad health. Also, her area in CA has a significant number of cases.

My sister is supposed to be flying from Chicago to San Antonio tomorrow, also to visit family. They are worried about bringing the virus there as well, especially since one family member has been on chemo and has had lung surgery. They were also worried that they might have their return flight cancelled, since things are changing so quickly. They would consider driving back, but if many flights are cancelled, would car rentals be available? So yeah, I think they're going to cancel their trip.

We have a mini family reunion planned on May 2-3, and we're not sure how that will turn out. We have some family flying in and some (like us) driving in. We will have to just see what happens.