How should I go about this?

Options
faithc98
faithc98 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2020 in Getting Started
Hello everyone, I’m new to this.
I just wanted some input on what exactly I should do to improve my body. To start off, I’m 5’4 and 140lbs. I would say I’m kind of slim in the stomach and arms but I tend to carry my fat in my thighs and hips. I use to weigh 205lbs 4/5 years ago but lost it all from an illness that kept me from eating.

Fast forward to now, I have been able to maintain this weight and I workout 3 days a week, 3 days of strength training and cardio. Diet is pretty good also. I use to overeat and eat a lot of the wrong things. I’m unsure of what to do anymore. I really want to gain some muscle and not look so lanky in some places and also just look better, but, I also don’t want to gain weight lol.

I’ve heard of body recomposition and wondered if that was the route I should go? Or if I should keep eating 1400 calories a day (like I’m doing at the moment) and lose more fat. I’m only 21 and I don’t know too much about fitness and things, so any advice is welcome.
Hopefully these pictures help also: sfrbo0ascikc.jpeg
wq0117n75zna.jpeg

Thank you 😊

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Recomp seems like a good route for you, indeed. Figure out your protein goal (Probably similar to mine 100-130g/day) and try to get sufficient protein every day to build and maintain muscle, pick out a respectable progressive weight lifting program, and keep an eye on your weight for losses, as you may need to gradually increase calories to keep up with your workouts.

There are a couple good threads on here about recomp if you run a search on the forums for "recomp" or "recomposition." They're worth reading through for guidance and a general feel.

Recomp is SLOW, so set your expectations appropriately. :) You look great already, so patience shouldn't be as difficult as it may have been in the past!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Recomp can definitely be a slow gradual process but works well for some. Since I took up lifting with any level of seriousness on 2015 I’ve largely stayed in a 10-15lb weight range but added what I would consider to be a decent amount of muscle mass (approx 15 lbs by best metrics) and definitely improved my body composition (18+% to ~13% body fat). I’m bad about taking actual progress pictures but here’s a good SFW representation of the improvement I’ve seen wearing the same shirt.

r0h4nz04a5xf.jpeg

Picture on the left is May 2014 at 166 lbs, I wasn’t lifting at all and running quite a bit. The picture is actually from a 10K. The picture on the right is September of 2019 at 175.

That said, I certainly have gone through phases of intentional weight change within the range I mentioned earlier but never a long/drastic bulk or cut cycle as some do. Since I started lifting I struggle to get lighter than 170 which doesn’t equate to be lean enough for a textbook bulk.

As far as methodology goes, don’t over complicate things
    - ensure you get sufficient protein (0.8 g/lb is considered the upper limit of what can be attributed to muscle protein synthesis)
    - follow a proven lifting program with progressive overload
    - Be as consistent as possible

Here's a link to a large thread about recomp https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • faithc98
    faithc98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the great info!
    I’ll definitely look into this.