Non meat protein

Options
Hi,
Trying to cut down my meat consumption and realizing that my protein is consistsntly low. Having a hard time finding non meat options that offer the same “bang for your buck” as meat does in regards to protein per calorie.
And I don’t like soy-based meat replacements, so no tofu or tempeh for me.

Replies

• makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yeah, meat is really the easiest way to get big protein hits easily. Eliminating soy removed another great option.

Do you eat fish? White fish, shrimp, canned tuna can all be lean options.

Do you eat dairy? Low fat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are good alternatives, not to mention some whey or casein protein powders.

Eggs can help.

I found adding beans and lentils a good way to increase both protein and fiber, and lentils a slightly lower cal option than beans.

Those are options that have helped me.

I don’t eat much fish since I live in a landlocked state but I’m hoping to do some good fishing this summer and hopefully stock up on some trout. And I do eat dairy but I’m trying to move away from it best I can. Yogurt is one of my go to foods for breakfast.

I’m finding that most of the typical veggie “protein” sources are primarily carbs or fats that have a slightly higher amount of protein.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    There are some decent vegan protein bars out there. I like Simply Protein bars; 150 calories for 15g protein. They’re soy but not tofu...
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I really like 'dry curd cottage cheese' - this is different than the regular varieties. It's not creamy in the least - just the 'dry curds'. I like it because it's super low in sodium, only 4 per cent fat and higher in protein too (22 grams/.5 cup)
  • makinemjellis
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I really like 'dry curd cottage cheese' - this is different than the regular varieties. It's not creamy in the least - just the 'dry curds'. I like it because it's super low in sodium, only 4 per cent fat and higher in protein too (22 grams/.5 cup)

I haven’t heard of such a thing! Do you eat them plain? Add them to things? I’m so intrigued
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    l1ap5q7ewp3a.png
    a5v3678nxgcn.png

I use it on/in everything. I mix it into pancake batters/put on salads/just eat with some salsa and veggies, etc.,
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, meat is really the easiest way to get big protein hits easily. Eliminating soy removed another great option.

Do you eat fish? White fish, shrimp, canned tuna can all be lean options.

Do you eat dairy? Low fat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are good alternatives, not to mention some whey or casein protein powders.

Eggs can help.

I found adding beans and lentils a good way to increase both protein and fiber, and lentils a slightly lower cal option than beans.

Those are options that have helped me.

I don’t eat much fish since I live in a landlocked state but I’m hoping to do some good fishing this summer and hopefully stock up on some trout. And I do eat dairy but I’m trying to move away from it best I can. Yogurt is one of my go to foods for breakfast.

I’m finding that most of the typical veggie “protein” sources are primarily carbs or fats that have a slightly higher amount of protein.

The bolded is correct. The more you choose to limit your diet, the more creative you need to get to have a nutritionally well rounded diet. If you want to rely on plant based proteins AND avoid soy, your bet best will be to find plant-based sources of protein you like and prioritize making them the foundation of your meals. It's also pretty normal for vegetarians/vegans to eat higher carb and/or fat diets, just make sure you are getting at least 0.6g of protein per lb of your ideal body weight (more if you are eating in a deficit).

If you aren't avoiding soy, just don't like specific soy based products, I'd suggest trying different brands/varieties of soy burgers, dairy substitutes, etc to see if you can find ones you like, as soy is a really versatile protein source for avoiding animal products.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    l1ap5q7ewp3a.png
    a5v3678nxgcn.png

I use it on/in everything. I mix it into pancake batters/put on salads/just eat with some salsa and veggies, etc.,

I would 100% eat that, but have never seen it where I live and we have three grocery chains, Walmart, target and a whole foods
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i just got some ensure light vanilla nutritional shake that is 70 calories, low carb and has 12g of protein. i don’t find it that tasty though, it tastes like a watered down sweet flavored coffee creamer to me but, it’s still a decent quick 8oz protein drink when needed to meet protein needs without raising cal & most other macros much at all.
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    l1ap5q7ewp3a.png
    a5v3678nxgcn.png

I would 100% eat that, but have never seen it where I live and we have three grocery chains, Walmart, target and a whole foods

I don't live in your country, so maybe try Farmer's Cheese or Pressed Cheese - a difference in texture (it's more 'solid' than individual curds) but similar in macros.
  • makinemjellis
    Options

The bolded is correct. The more you choose to limit your diet, the more creative you need to get to have a nutritionally well rounded diet. If you want to rely on plant based proteins AND avoid soy, your bet best will be to find plant-based sources of protein you like and prioritize making them the foundation of your meals. It's also pretty normal for vegetarians/vegans to eat higher carb and/or fat diets, just make sure you are getting at least 0.6g of protein per lb of your ideal body weight (more if you are eating in a deficit).

If you aren't avoiding soy, just don't like specific soy based products, I'd suggest trying different brands/varieties of soy burgers, dairy substitutes, etc to see if you can find ones you like, as soy is a really versatile protein source for avoiding animal products.

I don't mind edamame, I just really don't care for tofu or tempeh. I figure if I'm going to eat soy, I'm gonna eat it like it comes off the plant.

Really, I'm just trying to be more intentional about where my food comes from, so it's not that I'm avoiding animal products, I just want them sourced locally and ethically. I try to do the same with veggies but until summer rolls around, I don't have that luxury.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Seitan might work. It's high protein and comes from vital wheat gluten. And it's pretty easy to make from semi-scratch; you can find recipes online. (Ingredients are mainly the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, a bit of oil, water, and spices—those are going to vary by recipe, but the one I use has salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder). The simmering liquid is soy sauce, water, and garlic. At least in my recipe.

Seitan is soy
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    So a couple ideas. Beans and rice make a complete protein. Quinoa. Textured vegetable protein. Pea protein. Protein powder. I believe they say sea moss and chlorella. Nuts seeds veggies and fruit
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Oh hemp hearts and nutritional yeast too hemp hearts are a good source and I think chia and flax as well
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Oh quark! If you can find it at probably Whole Foods or fresh market if you have one or trader joe
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Hmm maybe you can try making your own high protein bars like a pb one with some protein powder.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Shrimp is the best protein replacement for meat.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    l1ap5q7ewp3a.png
    a5v3678nxgcn.png

I don't live in your country, so maybe try Farmer's Cheese or Pressed Cheese - a difference in texture (it's more 'solid' than individual curds) but similar in macros.

Yeah, I've had farmer's cheese before and love real, fresh cheese Curds, but only get both when visiting my grandmother in Canada, who loves near an amazing dairy.