Non meat protein

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So a couple ideas. Beans and rice make a complete protein. Quinoa. Textured vegetable protein. Pea protein. Protein powder. I believe they say sea moss and chlorella. Nuts seeds veggies and fruit

While all of those things do have protein, the protein per calorie ratio in most is nothing like meat, which is what OP is looking for. It would take ton s of veg or fruit to get the 25g or so of protein from a piece of meat, and a lot more calories to get the same amount of protein from nuts or seeds. And TVP is the processed soy OP says they don't want.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to lupin beans? They're my go-to snack right now.

ursbww1e6d6k.png
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Seitan might work. It's high protein and comes from vital wheat gluten. And it's pretty easy to make from semi-scratch; you can find recipes online. (Ingredients are mainly the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, a bit of oil, water, and spices—those are going to vary by recipe, but the one I use has salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder). The simmering liquid is soy sauce, water, and garlic. At least in my recipe.

Seitan is soy

No it's not, it's wheat.
    Lol I stand corrected. 🥰 but if you have celiac or wheat sensitivity I’d avoid it sense it’s wheat gluten
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Aquafaba while I gues not high in protein can be used in a lot of recipes if you don’t want to use egg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    There are plant-based protein drinks. I still eat white meat and fish but eat a lot of plant foods. I drink a regular protein drink and put Greek yogurt in my oatmeal as it comes out super creamy and ups protein. Lunch lately has been two servings of lentils (one of the higher proteins of beans/legumes) over a vegetable salad. Right now I'm going through a batch of Chana Masala, last meal was red lentil chili with black and cannellini beans. Put Greek yogurt on potatoes or in chili instead of sour cream. I love bean burgers too, never been a hamburger person.
  • opalbeaulieu
    opalbeaulieu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Pea protein powder 😍😍😍 Seitan is amazing too. Quorn is a mushroom based protein - not sure if its UK only tho?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snip)
    It's a re-thin, IMO.
    (snip)
    [/quote]

Maybe it was obvious, but it bugs me: Bolded should've been "re-think".

There's at least one other typo in my post, too late to edit, but this one bothered me more. :lol:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Seitan might work. It's high protein and comes from vital wheat gluten. And it's pretty easy to make from semi-scratch; you can find recipes online. (Ingredients are mainly the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, a bit of oil, water, and spices—those are going to vary by recipe, but the one I use has salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder). The simmering liquid is soy sauce, water, and garlic. At least in my recipe.

Seitan is soy

Not in this recipe: https://yupitsvegan.com/basic-homemade-seitan/#wprm-recipe-container-7382

Or this one: https://calivegans.wordpress.com/vegan-eating/soy-free-seitan-recipe/

Or even this one: http://veganfitcarter.com/recipe/make-seitan-soy-free-meat-substitute/

True that many recipes do call for soy sauce or tamari, but not all of them.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    No wonder people have trouble losing weight. Swapping out meat for protein powder and beans?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No wonder people have trouble losing weight. Swapping out meat for protein powder and beans?

I currently eat no meat and have no problems maintaining my weight. I have lost more than 100 pounds and my meat intake was very low compared to the average omnivore.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Low fat peanut powder is pretty good - can add things to it, make a spread, use it in shakes or food. I like PBFit.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options

pcuhd2yjm9ge.jpg
    This was my attempt today. 20gr of protein. Hmpf.. I'd hoped for a bit more. Protein-rich in there are rice, feta, pumpkin seeds and chickpeas. On a normal day I get another 16 for breakfast and lunch each. *sigh*
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Yeah, meat is really the easiest way to get big protein hits easily. Eliminating soy removed another great option.

Do you eat fish? White fish, shrimp, canned tuna can all be lean options.

Do you eat dairy? Low fat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are good alternatives, not to mention some whey or casein protein powders.

Eggs can help.

I found adding beans and lentils a good way to increase both protein and fiber, and lentils a slightly lower cal option than beans.

Those are options that have helped me.

I don’t eat much fish since I live in a landlocked state but I’m hoping to do some good fishing this summer and hopefully stock up on some trout. And I do eat dairy but I’m trying to move away from it best I can. Yogurt is one of my go to foods for breakfast.
    I get you with fresh fish - people I know have a lot of fish "rules" here in Massachusetts, a state with a big fishing industry - but there is also canned and frozen fish.

I’m finding that most of the typical veggie “protein” sources are primarily carbs or fats that have a slightly higher amount of protein.
    That's not entirely true, but plant based sources of protein do tend to have more carbs. I used to live in yoga retreat centers and knew lots of healthy and fit ethical vegans who probably upwards of 60% carbs.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I like this seitan recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241963/seitan-pepperoni/

I half the cayenne, keep the mustard the same, and double the rest of the spices. I like it for a snack with some banana, or scrambled with eggs and veggies.

I don't recommend it for people who don't already have most of these spices - there are much simpler recipes, including on the back of the Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten package.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Vital-Gluten/dp/B000EDK5LM/

71fkf1NtjwL._SL1500_.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Options

The bolded is correct. The more you choose to limit your diet, the more creative you need to get to have a nutritionally well rounded diet. If you want to rely on plant based proteins AND avoid soy, your bet best will be to find plant-based sources of protein you like and prioritize making them the foundation of your meals. It's also pretty normal for vegetarians/vegans to eat higher carb and/or fat diets, just make sure you are getting at least 0.6g of protein per lb of your ideal body weight (more if you are eating in a deficit).

If you aren't avoiding soy, just don't like specific soy based products, I'd suggest trying different brands/varieties of soy burgers, dairy substitutes, etc to see if you can find ones you like, as soy is a really versatile protein source for avoiding animal products.

I don't mind edamame, I just really don't care for tofu or tempeh. I figure if I'm going to eat soy, I'm gonna eat it like it comes off the plant.

Really, I'm just trying to be more intentional about where my food comes from, so it's not that I'm avoiding animal products, I just want them sourced locally and ethically. I try to do the same with veggies but until summer rolls around, I don't have that luxury.

Have you researched what's available in your area? While my vegan friends would say there is no such thing as ethically raised animal products (just speaking for people I know personally; not all vegans), I believe there is a spectrum between conventional CAFOs and not eating animal products at all. I buy more humanely raised meat and dairy mostly from the supermarket, but we get milk from a local dairy, sometimes I get eggs locally, and I've just found out about a local butcher. I'm sure if I put a little effort into it, I could find local chicken that met my standards as well.
  • CarolRo1
    CarolRo1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m vegetarian so most of my meals are stacked with beans, chick peas or lentils. A nutritionist once told me at lunchtime to try and get 3 proteins in my salad to fuel my day and then have a lighter dinner.