Fat or loose skin

Hello, so I have been exercising quite often about 3-4 times a week, I do runs and head to the gym for strength training. I can’t seem to improve on my tummy’s condition. I have lost weight and am weighed at 74KG now and aim to be at 70KG. I was fat in the past about 3-4 years ago and have been loose weight here and there throughout the years. I can’t understand why my tummy’s condition can’t improve much there’s just this layer of fat or loose skin whichever that is just there making me feel annoyed.. especially when I’m sitting down or when I bend down. Can I have any tips on how to improve my tummy’s condition and what’s my tummy showing more fats or loose skin! Would really appreciate Any help from the community.

Replies

  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Agree with the others (who know more) about the fat question, and with what I believe Psycho is suggesting, that weight loss may not be your best focus moving forward. (Not saying a bit more would hurt you, just thinking that reasonably-fueled recomposition might give you better overall results for your time investment, slow though it is. You look to be young (compared to my age 64 :lol: ): You have time, and better ability now to build muscle than you will in a few decades. ;) )

    Additional observation: It's really hard to tell with the angles in your photos, but the side view looks like you could have some anterior pelvic tilt (posture issue) that tends to emphasize the small amount of remaining fat. Totally can't tell this next from your photos, but many people these days add to that issue via a bit of shoulder-rounding and chin/head-forward position (kyphosis) - tends to happen from all our phone/computer use. Those two, especially taken together, tend to pooch out torso fat into the lower abdominal area. Better posture can spread it out a bit.

    You can probably check yourself to see whether those things could be happening for you, and affecting your appearance. There are exercises specifically for improving both. I don't have a recommended link (someone may, if you need it), but look for YouTube videos from mainstream physical therapists or medical centers (there's also some weird-ola alt-med stuff online, potentially less reliable).

    Keeping on with a good, progressive strength training progressive strength training program is a good plan, IMO.

    Dunno for sure, but you might like this:

    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

    Best wishes!

    Thanks for clarifying my ramblings Aunt Granny...😉
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 11,144 Member
    Aunt and uncle are doing a good job!

    How tall is the OP whippersnapper?

    My take would be a continuing small deficit and a lot of gym time!

    By small I do mean small. If looking at 5kg for a year long project we are talking a sub 150 deficit, so we're talking setting up for -250 deficit and missing it half the time!

    And I would think that a full fledged structured training program might bring better and faster results than "randomly" hitting a few machines at the gym.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Agree with the others (who know more) about the fat question, and with what I believe Psycho is suggesting, that weight loss may not be your best focus moving forward. (Not saying a bit more would hurt you, just thinking that reasonably-fueled recomposition might give you better overall results for your time investment, slow though it is. You look to be young (compared to my age 64 :lol: ): You have time, and better ability now to build muscle than you will in a few decades. ;) )

    Additional observation: It's really hard to tell with the angles in your photos, but the side view looks like you could have some anterior pelvic tilt (posture issue) that tends to emphasize the small amount of remaining fat. Totally can't tell this next from your photos, but many people these days add to that issue via a bit of shoulder-rounding and chin/head-forward position (kyphosis) - tends to happen from all our phone/computer use. Those two, especially taken together, tend to pooch out torso fat into the lower abdominal area. Better posture can spread it out a bit.

    You can probably check yourself to see whether those things could be happening for you, and affecting your appearance. There are exercises specifically for improving both. I don't have a recommended link (someone may, if you need it), but look for YouTube videos from mainstream physical therapists or medical centers (there's also some weird-ola alt-med stuff online, potentially less reliable).

    Keeping on with a good, progressive strength training progressive strength training program is a good plan, IMO.

    Dunno for sure, but you might like this:

    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

    Best wishes!

    Thanks for clarifying my ramblings Aunt Granny...😉

    Heh. I thought you were pretty clear, actually. I just have a cautious horror of saying "Person X said ABC" - part of my bizarre "no black and white scenarios" bias. :lol:

    Mostly, I was in to be all "Aunt Granny sez 'stand up straight' y'all young whippersnappers!". ;)

    In now standing up straight and awaiting orders ma'am!
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Aunt and uncle are doing a good job!

    How tall is the OP whippersnapper?

    My take would be a continuing small deficit and a lot of gym time!

    By small I do mean small. If looking at 5kg for a year long project we are talking a sub 150 deficit, so we're talking setting up for -250 deficit and missing it half the time!

    And I would think that a full fledged structured training program might bring better and faster results than "randomly" hitting a few machines at the gym.

    So, if you're my snow loving brother, you would be uncle as well....🤔 I would also say a program designed for progressive overload will help. Some people like 5x5, but it's all really up to training history and preference....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 11,144 Member
    edited March 2020
    Having looked at the pictures on something with a real monitor I will say that I agree with Anne re: the posture thing when standing. I will also say that while we are not dealing with paper thin skin, i.e. there is some small amount of fat under the skin, we are also dealing with extra stretch in the skin which makes what is a relatively small amount of fat appear more prevalent. And this extra skin, when you bend, contributes to the folds.

    So. realistically. there are things that can be done and then there are things that are not as likely to take place.

    Can a bit more weight be lost? For sure. But doing so is not going to lead to an earth shaking change in either your health or your looks.

    So: Are you going to end up with 6-pack abs just with weight reduction? I don't think so. Surgery? possibly but cost, recovery, and permanent scars may or may not be an overall improvement and benefit. Likely also a no go given that your extra skin is not enough to cause health issues.

    Can you make significant changes in terms of looks and visible strength and lean-ness by using the remaining fat you have (either at maintenance calories or at a slight deficit) and hitting, hard, a program geared towards muscle building (hypertrophy). I believe so, assuming you dedicate the time and energy.

    By the way, I am not saying you should.

    Individual goals are individual! As an example, *I* have NOT chosen to do what I just suggested and while, theoretically, I would like the benefits without the work :lol: I am not willing to put in the time and effort--nor am I willing to leave the comfort of my current routine since it is keeping me happy and in better health than I've been since my mid teens.

    Sometimes maintaining a weight loss is more important than incremental improvements. Other times focusing on incremental improvements are what helps us maintain the loss. Other times we are ready to keep going pedal to the metal (but still proceeding cautiously and at a reasonable pace) and nothing can stop us.

    I would look at the Fitness and Exercise forum for suggestions on which programs might work best for your needs!
  • MarcusHeree
    MarcusHeree Posts: 3 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Hello, so I have been exercising quite often about 3-4 times a week, I do runs and head to the gym for strength training. I can’t seem to improve on my tummy’s condition. I have lost weight and am weighed at 74KG now and aim to be at 70KG. I was fat in the past about 3-4 years ago and have been loose weight here and there throughout the years. I can’t understand why my tummy’s condition can’t improve much there’s just this layer of fat or loose skin whichever that is just there making me feel annoyed.. especially when I’m sitting down or when I bend down. Can I have any tips on how to improve my tummy’s condition and what’s my tummy showing more fats or loose skin! Would really appreciate Any help from the community.

    Its fat. Though, from the pics, you look to be at a healthy one. Unless your goals are a 6 pack, you will not gain too many more health benefits from losing. Jmho

    So you recommend strength training for more prominent results? My goal is to try to get that 6 pack out if it’s possible with certain type of exercisss.
  • MarcusHeree
    MarcusHeree Posts: 3 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Having looked at the pictures on something with a real monitor I will say that I agree with Anne re: the posture thing when standing. I will also say that while we are not dealing with paper thin skin, i.e. there is some small amount of fat under the skin, we are also dealing with extra stretch in the skin which makes what is a relatively small amount of fat appear more prevalent. And this extra skin, when you bend, contributes to the folds.

    So. realistically. there are things that can be done and then there are things that are not as likely to take place.

    Can a bit more weight be lost? For sure. But doing so is not going to lead to an earth shaking change in either your health or your looks.

    So: Are you going to end up with 6-pack abs just with weight reduction? I don't think so. Surgery? possibly but cost, recovery, and permanent scars may or may not be an overall improvement and benefit. Likely also a no go given that your extra skin is not enough to cause health issues.

    Can you make significant changes in terms of looks and visible strength and lean-ness by using the remaining fat you have (either at maintenance calories or at a slight deficit) and hitting, hard, a program geared towards muscle building (hypertrophy). I believe so, assuming you dedicate the time and energy.

    By the way, I am not saying you should.

    Individual goals are individual! As an example, *I* have NOT chosen to do what I just suggested and while, theoretically, I would like the benefits without the work :lol: I am not willing to put in the time and effort--nor am I willing to leave the comfort of my current routine since it is keeping me happy and in better health than I've been since my mid teens.

    Sometimes maintaining a weight loss is more important than incremental improvements. Other times focusing on incremental improvements are what helps us maintain the loss. Other times we are ready to keep going pedal to the metal (but still proceeding cautiously and at a reasonable pace) and nothing can stop us.

    I would look at the Fitness and Exercise forum for suggestions on which programs might work best for your needs!

    Thanks for your suggestion. My goal is to try to get that 6 pack out if it’s possible. Am willing to go hard on trainings as u said I should do hypotrophy workouts? And if by doing so, do I still go on a hard calorie deficit while continuing my workouts or should I just try to maintain and maybe reduce a bit of calorie intake? For me I feel hitting that lean-ness and getting my 6 pack is almost impossible after seeking many people for help, trying out different kind of exercises and taking on different kind of diets just to achieve it but nopee I failed :(
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    Looking good!!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Hello, so I have been exercising quite often about 3-4 times a week, I do runs and head to the gym for strength training. I can’t seem to improve on my tummy’s condition. I have lost weight and am weighed at 74KG now and aim to be at 70KG. I was fat in the past about 3-4 years ago and have been loose weight here and there throughout the years. I can’t understand why my tummy’s condition can’t improve much there’s just this layer of fat or loose skin whichever that is just there making me feel annoyed.. especially when I’m sitting down or when I bend down. Can I have any tips on how to improve my tummy’s condition and what’s my tummy showing more fats or loose skin! Would really appreciate Any help from the community.

    Its fat. Though, from the pics, you look to be at a healthy one. Unless your goals are a 6 pack, you will not gain too many more health benefits from losing. Jmho

    So you recommend strength training for more prominent results? My goal is to try to get that 6 pack out if it’s possible with certain type of exercisss.

    yes, while you can gain muscle mass doing power lifting, hypertrophy (progressive overload) will help you gain muscle mass and help maintain it while in a cut. While abs are combination of genetics and BF, having more muscle in abs MIGHT help you have a 6 pack at a higher BF. I have seen several guys walk around at 14-16% and have six packs. Confirmed via DEXA. Bodybuilding is smoke and mirrors.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 26,257 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Having looked at the pictures on something with a real monitor I will say that I agree with Anne re: the posture thing when standing. I will also say that while we are not dealing with paper thin skin, i.e. there is some small amount of fat under the skin, we are also dealing with extra stretch in the skin which makes what is a relatively small amount of fat appear more prevalent. And this extra skin, when you bend, contributes to the folds.

    So. realistically. there are things that can be done and then there are things that are not as likely to take place.

    Can a bit more weight be lost? For sure. But doing so is not going to lead to an earth shaking change in either your health or your looks.

    So: Are you going to end up with 6-pack abs just with weight reduction? I don't think so. Surgery? possibly but cost, recovery, and permanent scars may or may not be an overall improvement and benefit. Likely also a no go given that your extra skin is not enough to cause health issues.

    Can you make significant changes in terms of looks and visible strength and lean-ness by using the remaining fat you have (either at maintenance calories or at a slight deficit) and hitting, hard, a program geared towards muscle building (hypertrophy). I believe so, assuming you dedicate the time and energy.

    By the way, I am not saying you should.

    Individual goals are individual! As an example, *I* have NOT chosen to do what I just suggested and while, theoretically, I would like the benefits without the work :lol: I am not willing to put in the time and effort--nor am I willing to leave the comfort of my current routine since it is keeping me happy and in better health than I've been since my mid teens.

    Sometimes maintaining a weight loss is more important than incremental improvements. Other times focusing on incremental improvements are what helps us maintain the loss. Other times we are ready to keep going pedal to the metal (but still proceeding cautiously and at a reasonable pace) and nothing can stop us.

    I would look at the Fitness and Exercise forum for suggestions on which programs might work best for your needs!

    Thanks for your suggestion. My goal is to try to get that 6 pack out if it’s possible. Am willing to go hard on trainings as u said I should do hypotrophy workouts? And if by doing so, do I still go on a hard calorie deficit while continuing my workouts or should I just try to maintain and maybe reduce a bit of calorie intake? For me I feel hitting that lean-ness and getting my 6 pack is almost impossible after seeking many people for help, trying out different kind of exercises and taking on different kind of diets just to achieve it but nopee I failed :(

    Key variables:

    * Well-designed progressive strength training program, consistently performed, such as one of the choices discussed here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

    * Good well-rounded nutrition, especially adequate protein. People will argue endlessly about how much is adequate, but it around here common recommended minimums tend to range from 0.6-0.8g daily per pound of healthy body weight (loosely equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass, for most people - and most people don't have an accurate estimate of their lean mass anyway), up to maybe 1.2g per pound at the higher end (usually recommended by very muscle-building-oriented people, though not all people like that agree). All of those are well above the US minimums recommended for average (non-training) people to just stay healthy and avoid malnutrition.

    * Appropriate calorie intake. This can vary depending on goal details:

    1. slightly below maintenance calories (250 or fewer below daily) for people who want to continue losing fat more quickly and are willing to potentially sacrifice some muscle gain to do it; or
    2. at maintenance calories for people who want a better chance of muscle gain, willing to accept a slower fat loss, and/or fearful/anxious about fat regain - weight training while doing this is called "recomposition"; or
    3. slightly above maintenance calories (maybe 250 above daily), for people who are willing to gain some fat in order to potentially gain muscle a little faster with the recognition that they'll need to lose that fat later (i.e., they're committing to bulk & cut cycles).

    * Patience, patience, patience. Muscular development is slow, under the best conditions. It's a long term committment: Months, years. Not weeks.

    Standard thread about getting abs:

    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

    Standard thread about recomposition (adding muscle, gradually losing fat, while holding weight steady):

    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

    Best wishes.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 11,144 Member
    Excellent points by Ann and to be clear you're not currently a good candidate for a bulk so, realistically, you should be choosing between the first two options.
  • Karlijunruh
    Karlijunruh Posts: 8 Member
    Hi guys,
    I'm in a bit of a pinch too... And have been struggling.

    When I started 3+ years ago I was a whopping 200 pounds... Keep in mind I am 5,2 :/ anyways fast forward and I dropped sizes I'm now at a healthy 146 pounds.

    * I carry my weight in my stomach,hips and thighs *

    I can't for the life of me loose my stomach... It actually hangs over, almost like a fold. I cannot determine if this is loose skin or still fat or maybe even a combination of the two. It is deteriorating my mental health as I feel lost and ugly and no matter what I try to do it won't go away....

    I need you help... Is it loose skin?if not, Is there a way to get rid of it... Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated :(

    received_2854390574643701.jpeg[img][/img]