Should I go for unhealthy food?

2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Your anti-green biases are demoralizing to the universe! Cucumbers and Celery for the win! <goes back to munching on his sea salt chocolate protein bar and no-name candy coated milk chocolate eggs after double checking on the safety of the nicely stacked jars of dill pickles and relish>

*chimes in* black is the new black! Liquorice, good quality one with lots of liquorice root (yes, it’s a tree) instead of annisseedoil, which most types in the UK use.

Cucumber and celery!?! Celery only belongs on the lapel of an 80s tv character’s costume. And maaaybe in the odd pea soup or ragu bolognese.

Chocolate (as I’m at it right now): poor, poor quality almost everywhere, especially in the US (tastes like puke) and the UK (Dairy milk? There’s 24% cocoa in it and eu regulations forbids calling it chocolate)

Basically: liquorice!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    I had 700 calories worth of chocolate yesterday. Enjoyed every bite too 😂
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    If your question is whether junk food will impede your diet progress: no, it won't. You can lose weight eating anything you want, as long as you stay within your calorie quota. Here is my current coronavirus shelter-in-place snack collection, and my weight loss is doing fine.

ksw71bgfqdru.jpg

Now, whether you want to focus on healthiness in addition to weight loss, that is another question. But for weight loss ... it's about the calories.

Why wouldn't one want to focus on healthiness in addition to losing weight?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    While I do not carefully monitor the percentages if I have a base of 2000 calories to eat I would eat about 1600 nutritional dense foods and 400 calories whatever I want. It is an 80/20 split.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    saynow111 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    What do you mean unhealthy food? What are some examples?

Most foods are neither healthy or unhealthy inherently. It depends on your overall diet.

chocalate with sugar which is refined carb ??^_^

Even before I read down to this post I was going to chime in with Chocolate!

The answer is always chocolate. B)

It is never cucumber. ;)
    Danp wrote: »

Most foods are neither healthy or unhealthy inherently. It depends on your overall diet.

It is never cucumber. ;)

I'm very much opposed to moralising and categorising food as 'good' and 'bad' but Cucumber and Celery are the exception. So so sooo SOOOO BAD! Awful! Blech!
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    WTFlip???

Chocolate and cucumber are the stuff of life! Both, do you hear?!?

When I was a tiny child, my every-single-day bedtime snack was chocolate milk and cucumber, two glorious foods side by side. :yum:

ChocolateANDcucumber, ChocolateANDcucumber. You goldarn philistines.

OP: You can eat whatever you like within calories, for nutrition and happiness. Apologies for digressing your thread to argue with these . . . people.

:lol::lol::lol:

Ye of little imagination: Peanut butter! With chocolate, or cucumber, or celery!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited March 2020
    Why don't y'all just give up and link to this thread? :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Celery is delicious and underrated, and so is celeriac.

Cucumber is fine, not very exciting. It's good in some culinary uses and dill pickles are amazing.

But of course neither of them is the answer because they are so low in cals. Chocolate is good and I don't consider it unhealthy at all (unless in crazy amounts, of course).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Here is my current coronavirus shelter-in-place snack collection, and my weight loss is doing fine.

Now that's preparation.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    The nutritional facts for Cocoa Beans. Of course as it is processed into chocolate, sugar is added. But for those that think that it is not healthy...
    I've always wondered why people demonize chocolate as not healthy when it is a seed from a plant with a reasonably good nutritional profile.
    Nutrition Facts
    Cocoa bean
    Amount Per 100 grams
    Calories 228
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 14 g 21%
    Saturated fat 8 g 40%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.4 g
    Monounsaturated fat 4.6 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 21 mg 0%
    Potassium 1,524 mg 43%
    Total Carbohydrate 58 g 19%
    Dietary fiber 33 g 132%
    Sugar 1.8 g
    Protein 20 g 40%
    Caffeine 230 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 12% Iron 77%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
    Cobalamin 0% Magnesium 124%
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Or some really lovely cake! That should sort your 400 calories out1
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    If I was in your situation I'd be eating crazy amounts of peanut butter right now. Full-fat peanut butter...none of my usual PB2.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited March 2020
    NovusDies wrote: »
    While I do not carefully monitor the percentages if I have a base of 2000 calories to eat I would eat about 1600 nutritional dense foods and 400 calories whatever I want. It is an 80/20 split.

80/20 to 90/10 nutrient dense to whatever is great IMO for the vast majority of people. Those with a lot to lose closer to the 90/10, normal weight the 80/20 and those that are extremely active can have a higher % of whatever because their calorie base is higher.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member

I do 90/10.

200 calories per day are mine to go crazy with, no limits as to the junkiness factor. The rest, I try to eat like a responsible adult - doesn't always work, though B)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

80/20 to 90/10 nutrient dense to whatever is great IMO for the vast majority of people. Those with a lot to lose closer to the 90/10, normal weight the 80/20 and those that are extremely active can have a higher % of whatever because their calorie base is higher.

That is why I specifically mentioned that it applied to the base calories. When I am dealing with a large amount of uneaten exercise calories I really just try to keep the amount of highly processed around 50 percent or less.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »

It is never cucumber. ;)

If I am asking " what should I put in this jar with salt, vinegar, spices, and herbs?", the answer better be cucumbers and not chocolate. But yeah, most other times chocolate is the correct answer.

well, yes, but that wasnt the question.

The question was should I eat unhealthy food - and answer is always, yes, chocolate. :)

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited March 2020
    I'm approaching my year anniversary of wlj and within spitting distance of my ultimate goal, and I have been eating 98% of all calories from nutritionally balanced foods. That being said, I always save calories for so called "junk". Lately, with all that is happening, I have caught myself going back to some old horrible binging ways. The good thing about tracking every day is I can nip it in the bud immediately and I have. "junk" can spiral out of control if you are not careful.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited March 2020
    The nutritional facts for Cocoa Beans. Of course as it is processed into chocolate, sugar is added. But for those that think that it is not healthy...
    I've always wondered why people demonize chocolate as not healthy when it is a seed from a plant with a reasonably good nutritional profile.
    Nutrition Facts
    Cocoa bean
    Amount Per 100 grams
    Calories 228
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 14 g 21%
    Saturated fat 8 g 40%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.4 g
    Monounsaturated fat 4.6 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 21 mg 0%
    Potassium 1,524 mg 43%
    Total Carbohydrate 58 g 19%
    Dietary fiber 33 g 132%
    Sugar 1.8 g
    Protein 20 g 40%
    Caffeine 230 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 12% Iron 77%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
    Cobalamin 0% Magnesium 124%

All true and many people can fit some chocolate into a nutrient appropriate diet, but a bit misleading. Lets look what happens to the nutrition profile when the cocoa bean gets "processed" into regular Hershey bar. I'm sure some do, but I don't know anyone that eats straight cocoa beans:

8hk3adjazf22.png

Note the nutrition data for the bar is for 43g vs 100g for the beans.

Still can be something to fit into a diet occasionally, but not the poster child of health the raw bean is.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    edited March 2020
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

All true and many people can fit some chocolate into a nutrient appropriate diet, but a bit misleading. Lets look what happens to the nutrition profile when the cocoa bean gets "processed" into regular Hershey bar. I sure some do, but I don't know anyone that eats straight cocoa beans

Slightly off-topic but I love adding cacao nibs to my fruit yogurt, the bitterness combines well with the sweetness of the yogurt :+1:

More on topic: chocolate is definitely a treat food for me. Nothing wrong with that, I indulge in treat foods regularly (in moderation), but claiming health benefits from chocolate seems to be stretching the truth a little :wink:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    I've had cacao nibs on oats, and really enjoyed it. I also enjoy a little unsweetened cocoa powder blended with berries and avocado.

But as for more traditional dessert chocolate, I'm quite fond of Chocolove's Extreme Dark, which is high cal (30 g or 1/3 of a big bar has 160 cal, 3 g of protein, 4 of fiber, only 3 g of added sugar). However, recently I've discovered De Villiers chocolates -- they vary a bit on cals and protein, but for one example half a bar (40 g) is 120 cal (some are 110, some 130), with 5 g protein, 10 g fiber, and 12 g added sugar (they are 70% dark vs. the 88% the Chocolove I mentioned is).

Both of the servings I mentioned are satisfying to me.

I don't think chocolate is just like eating greens or some such, but those nutrition profiles (even if I am a tiny bit suspicious of the De Villiers one) actually not only fit well into my diet, but provide some things I like (including potassium too).

It's still a treat food for me in that I'm not a daily dessert person, but there are lots of foods (many non dessert foods) that I would find much harder to fit in on a daily basis and would be far harder to fit within my nutrition goals. Even something like cheese, which I fit in regularly (although I am not eating it now as part of my Lent thing) both as a dessert and as part of many dishes I prepare, strikes me as less nutritionally worthwhile, but oddly enough rarely gets called out the way people call out dessert-type foods.