Coronavirus prep

Replies

• TooDamnSweet
    TooDamnSweet Posts: 63 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    My office has started dispensing latex gloves for the commute. We are asked not to wear them in the office. Most people are working from home already.

What is their logic in not having employees wear gloves in the office? I'm asking sincerely, I'm not sure how to word it without sounding confrontational.

I think I can answer that. I wear them grocery shopping, put them on just before entering and take off just after paying--then throw away. I pay cash. Also take off, rolling inside out. Wearing gloves is discouraged for the general populace because it gives a false sense of safety (people touch their faces, reuse the gloves......) and can lead to contamination. Now that's what we were told, but there might be another explanation.

I do this too. I put gloves on before I enter the store and take them carefully off after aI return my cart.

So if they are wearing the gloves during their commute they should take them off before entering the office to prevent spreading.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    My office has started dispensing latex gloves for the commute. We are asked not to wear them in the office. Most people are working from home already.

What is their logic in not having employees wear gloves in the office? I'm asking sincerely, I'm not sure how to word it without sounding confrontational.

It's airborne and we don't have enough gloves and masks for our first responders, do they don't want people panic buying them. The general public can wash their hands and not touch their faces. We NEED the docs, nurses, people that do X-Rays, hospital workers and first responders to have these for now. I see us in a couple of months having them for the general public (older and immuno compromised first).

What is your evidence for it being airborne? I have seen nothing to suggest this.

Yes, it is airborne for a minimum of 4 to 5 ft. That's why--masks. On a bus in China a man without a mask, who had the virus, sat in one of the back rows. People in the front of the bus were contaminated. The bus was not crowded. People wearing masks on the bus did not get the virus. The Chinese did extensive testing on this.

That isn't airborne. It seems pedantic, but there's a difference between aerosol and airborne.

Oh--thanks. I'm not at all sciencey and don't know the terms. Thanks for the correction. Just as long as people realize why we need "social distancing".

Absolutely! I think it is so important to follow the guidelines and precautions. I've been hesitant to bring up this part of the discussion specifically because I don't want you to think I'm being insensitive to what you are currently going through or to what is coming. And I do believe it is just starting to brew in North America. As stated there are very specific criteria for something to be considered airborne, size and weight of the contagion itself is significant.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I heard somewhere in the media that America is two weeks away from what has happened in Italy... is that true or fake news?

People have been saying that for almost 2 weeks now... so I guess we should see within the next 2-3 days.

The US surgeon general said this on Monday.

I've heard others saying it for quite a bit longer. It's one of those "tomorrow will never come" stories, right? As long as you say "2 weeks" every day for the next several months, it can never be proven wrong.

What they've been saying is that we are following Italy's track, which of course has changed over time. I've seen nothing that disputes that.

Re the Monday statement from the surgeon general:

US surgeon general: US cases are where Italy was 2 weeks ago

by: Associated Press

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT / Updated: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT

WASHINGTON — The U.S. surgeon general said Monday that the number of coronavirus cases in the United States has reached the level that Italy recorded two weeks ago, a sign that infections are expected to rise in America as the government steps up testing and financial markets continue to fall.

“We are at a critical inflection point in this country, people. We are where Italy was two weeks ago in terms of our numbers,” U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told Fox News. “When you look at the projections, there’s every chance that we could be Italy.”

Two weeks ago, there were 1,700 cases of coronavirus in Italy and the country had reported 34 deaths. Now, Italy is reporting an estimated 25,000 cases and more than 1,800 people have died. There are about 3,800 cases reported in the United States and so far, more than 65 people have died from coronavirus.

Read more: https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/us-surgeon-general-us-cases-are-where-italy-was-2-weeks-ago/

CDC says 7000 cases in US and 97 deaths. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

However Johns Hopkins says, 7300 and 115 deaths. Ok that’s not the difference I thought I saw the other day... https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html . Anyway I’m probably missing the point about Italy, we’re way past the 1700 unless that’s adjusted per capita.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member

That's surprising. I have heard that hospitals are running out of gloves, but they normally would use nitrile rather than latex because of allergies. While this is what I have heard, I haven't seen anything reliable to confirm that is true. Does anyone know anything positively about that?

I’m allergic to latex. I have a one pair of latex sterile gloves if ya want them. 👊 a few pair of used (from class labs), nitrile gloves I’m saving for cat poop. Cuz they had c diff a few weeks ago and or coccidiosis, not sure which. Vet sorted them out with food and panacur.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,707 Member
    edited March 2020
    Meanwhile, the worldometers.info site has crashed "404 Not Found" :s
    ETA it's back up again
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »

It's airborne and we don't have enough gloves and masks for our first responders, do they don't want people panic buying them. The general public can wash their hands and not touch their faces. We NEED the docs, nurses, people that do X-Rays, hospital workers and first responders to have these for now. I see us in a couple of months having them for the general public (older and immuno compromised first).

What is your evidence for it being airborne? I have seen nothing to suggest this.

Yes, it is airborne for a minimum of 4 to 5 ft. That's why--masks. On a bus in China a man without a mask, who had the virus, sat in one of the back rows. People in the front of the bus were contaminated. The bus was not crowded. People wearing masks on the bus did not get the virus. The Chinese did extensive testing on this.

That isn't airborne. It seems pedantic, but there's a difference between aerosol and airborne.

Oh--thanks. I'm not at all sciencey and don't know the terms. Thanks for the correction. Just as long as people realize why we need "social distancing".

Absolutely! I think it is so important to follow the guidelines and precautions. I've been hesitant to bring up this part of the discussion specifically because I don't want you to think I'm being insensitive to what you are currently going through or to what is coming. And I do believe it is just starting to brew in North America. As stated there are very specific criteria for something to be considered airborne, size and weight of the contagion itself is significant.

Please don't ever hesitate to post on anything. If I'm off base, I want to know it. There are very knowledgeable people on here and I love to read their posts--you are one. <3

:heart:

I value your insight and personal experiences on this particular topic. Thank you for continuing to share your thoughts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    OK - so I have an idea. Instead of relying on health officials to do all the legwork. How about we all keep a daily diary of the places we have been and the people we have been in contact with. That way if we do come down with the virus, we already have everything concisely in one place to notify others quickly to try to contain the spread. I know if someone from work called me and said, hey I just got tested positive and am sick, I would take a LOT stronger measures as far as my movements and letting others around me know.

Google already knows all of this about us. Even if you have an iPhone, Google Maps collects location data in the background - that's why they make it for iPhone.

If anybody asks them too, they can query their data to find out who's been in the same place at the same time with you. As long as you both have your phones, which covers most people. I hope they're doing that.