Tabata Calories

Options
Iragen
Iragen Posts: 61 Member
Good afternoon folks. Thinking this is gonna be a hell of a lot more active in light of most folks being homebound.

My fitness coaches at my job gave us some home routines we can explore while home. I picked the Tabata one since it seemed pretty good to burn calories. Online it says it's shown to burn 13.5 calories a minute and my routine is 8 exercises 20 seconds on 10 seconds off for 8 rounds so it works out being 32+ minutes BUT my question is do I calculate off of the total or do I ignore the rest time and only calculate the active time (about 20min of effort)

SIDE NOTE: anyone heard of ATHLEAN- X DOTCOM on youtube? I got his two workout routines for home that he just made a couple days ago that are supposed to be calorie burning AND strength building and wondering if anybody tried it?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Only count the active time, and cut the rate in half.
  • Iragen
    Options

Thank you, but im curious why half???
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Tabata is more a timing protocol rather than an exercise - so question would be what exercise are you actually doing in a Tabata style?

Frankly this is so vague and so personal it's got no usable credibility - "Online it says it's shown to burn 13.5 calories a minute".
    Same burn for an elderly unfit 100lb person or a 300lb athlete in their prime?

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Iragen wrote: »

Because the rate they're suggesting you'll burn calories is unreasonably high for an average person. It could be a lot of different numbers depending on what you're doing (running out cycling hill repeats? circuit training?) and without any specifics I'm going to suggest something middle of the road, that's my strategy to avoid eating a whole pizza because I just burned 150 kCal.
  • Iragen
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Tabata is more a timing protocol rather than an exercise - so question would be what exercise are you actually doing in a Tabata style?

Frankly this is so vague and so personal it's got no usable credibility - "Online it says it's shown to burn 13.5 calories a minute".

That makes a helluva lot more sense. 270-300 calories seemse a bit high, but 120 calories seems really unfairly low.
    The 8 exercises were
    Lunge to high kick
    Plank
    Push up
    Single leg bridges
    Mountain climbers
    Fire feet
    High knees
    Squat jacks

Im a 29yr old 247lb male whose used to mainly weight lifting but not body weight exercises and my body fat percentage is 28%
  • Iragen
    Options

Because the rate they're suggesting you'll burn calories is unreasonably high for an average person. It could be a lot of different numbers depending on what you're doing (running out cycling hill repeats? circuit training?) and without any specifics I'm going to suggest something middle of the road, that's my strategy to avoid eating a whole pizza because I just burned 150 kCal.

Ooohh, understood.

Makes a ton of sense and my deficit, even without exercise is pretty nice today so I'm definitely not trying to get a "I did it so I deserve fast food" meal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

That makes a helluva lot more sense. 270-300 calories seemse a bit high, but 120 calories seems really unfairly low.
    The 8 exercises were
    Lunge to high kick
    Plank
    Push up
    Single leg bridges
    Mountain climbers
    Fire feet
    High knees
    Squat jacks

Im a 29yr old 247lb male whose used to mainly weight lifting but not body weight exercises and my body fat percentage is 28%

I'd simply log it as calisthenics.
    As that is an estimate based on METS it takes into account that you are a big guy, that's significant for bodyweight exercises.

(Personally I've always thoughts the calishthenics and circuit training METS are too generous and ignoring the rest periods would be one way to bring it down a bit.....)
  • Iragen
    Options

The 8 exercises were
    Lunge to high kick
    Plank
    Push up
    Single leg bridges
    Mountain climbers
    Fire feet
    High knees
    Squat jacks

As that is an estimate based on METS it takes into account that you are a big guy, that's significant for bodyweight exercises.

(Personally I've always thoughts the calishthenics and circuit training METS are too generous and ignoring the rest periods would be one way to bring it down a bit.....)

Much appreciation for the info. I'll start researching that now.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see a burn of as many calories as possible on this app, but I mainly just want to see what my fair output of work equates to.

When I try Tabata style calisthenics and I'm on the floor in sweat shaking my hope is this was a burn. Reminds me of shaun Ts Insanity workouts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options

The 8 exercises were
    Lunge to high kick
    Plank
    Push up
    Single leg bridges
    Mountain climbers
    Fire feet
    High knees
    Squat jacks

Don't get me wrong, I want to see a burn of as many calories as possible on this app, but I mainly just want to see what my fair output of work equates to.

When I try Tabata style calisthenics and I'm on the floor in sweat shaking my hope is this was a burn. Reminds me of shaun Ts Insanity workouts.

A thing to be aware of is that fatigue/exhaustion don't necessarily increase linearly with actual calorie burn. One thing I do is pretty well metered for watts (rowing machine), so is reasonably accurate for gross calories once the body weight adjustment is applied.

Things that make me pretty wrecked in a few minutes (like Tabata intervals on the rowing machine, max intensity for the work intervals) don't burn as massively more calories per minute as you might think, compared to moderate intensity steady state. More per minute? Sure, some. Just not as dramatic as the difference in how I feel.

There's no good formula for that, AFAIK.

Maybe it's just me, but I suspect this is general: That working out near one's limits is more exhausting, but it's still the level of work (not how we feel) that matters; and how we feel at X objective intensity (pace, for example) varies over time with our fitness level, while the calorie burn per minute at X intensity for the same activity doesn't change much over time, if body size remains constant.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

The 8 exercises were
    Lunge to high kick
    Plank
    Push up
    Single leg bridges
    Mountain climbers
    Fire feet
    High knees
    Squat jacks

A thing to be aware of is that fatigue/exhaustion don't necessarily increase linearly with actual calorie burn. One thing I do is pretty well metered for watts (rowing machine), so is reasonably accurate for gross calories once the body weight adjustment is applied.

Things that make me pretty wrecked in a few minutes (like Tabata intervals on the rowing machine, max intensity for the work intervals) don't burn as massively more calories per minute as you might think, compared to moderate intensity steady state. More per minute? Sure, some. Just not as dramatic as the difference in how I feel.

There's no good formula for that, AFAIK.

Maybe it's just me, but I suspect this is general: That working out near one's limits is more exhausting, but it's still the level of work (not how we feel) that matters; and how we feel at X objective intensity (pace, for example) varies over time with our fitness level, while the calorie burn per minute at X intensity for the same activity doesn't change much over time, if body size remains constant.

Came in to say that, but you said it better than I would have. So here's a post in support.