For the men who tell women to smile.....

Gaygirl2120
Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
I have a natural resting b face. I’ve literally always been that way. It’s not that I’m angry, mad, unhappy etc. it’s just how my face is. So I often get those lovely unwanted comments from random men to “smile”. Why do you guys do this? Why can’t a woman just be herself and not expected to walk around with a fake smile on her face? Also do you tell other men to smile as well? If not, why? I’m bored and genuinely curious 🧐

Replies

• that_night_in_paris
    that_night_in_paris Posts: 457 Member
    I find it cuter when women scowl. Fortunately I don't even need to request it.
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    I get this allllllll the time! 😡🤬
    It's just one of those double standard things 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I have a natural resting b face. I’ve literally always been that way. It’s not that I’m angry, mad, unhappy etc. it’s just how my face is. So I often get those lovely unwanted comments from random men to “smile”. Why do you guys do this? Why can’t a woman just be herself and not expected to walk around with a fake smile on her face? Also do you tell other men to smile as well? If not, why? I’m bored and genuinely curious 🧐

I've never had that problem 🤷‍♀️ I also don't necessarily think they say it in a mean way.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    iMago wrote: »
    idk if i've ever told a stranger to smile. i don't remember doing it at least and i like to think i'd own up to it if i did.

i tell ladies i know to smile sometimes because they're beautiful when they do it and it makes me feel better about life like there's a point to things still. like no matter how bad things get and then you say something absolutely hilarious and she hits you with that big smile and maybe a laugh and it just cracks your awe open entirely.

but that's different than a stranger telling em to i guess.

for guys, like if one of my friends is down and depressed and hating his life cause of the job or his truck broke down or child support is bankrupting him, i usually just hit em with ol' reliable "hey cheer up man!"

and then we just pretend its all okay and never actually bring up the things that haunt us

Context & relationship is everything
  • Gaygirl2120
    iMago wrote: »
    idk if i've ever told a stranger to smile. i don't remember doing it at least and i like to think i'd own up to it if i did.

i tell ladies i know to smile sometimes because they're beautiful when they do it and it makes me feel better about life like there's a point to things still. like no matter how bad things get and then you say something absolutely hilarious and she hits you with that big smile and maybe a laugh and it just cracks your awe open entirely.

but that's different than a stranger telling em to i guess.

for guys, like if one of my friends is down and depressed and hating his life cause of the job or his truck broke down or child support is bankrupting him, i usually just hit em with ol' reliable "hey cheer up man!"

and then we just pretend its all okay and never actually bring up the things that haunt us

If it’s coming from someone I know, I don’t mind. I get what you are saying because you can also feel the vibe of people you know and maybe you can tell they are in a funk and this helps.

It’s the randos in public that get me.
  • _Miss_chievous_

I've never had that problem 🤷‍♀️ I also don't necessarily think they say it in a mean way.

I’m not saying it’s meant in a mean way. I just find it inappropriate when it’s coming from a stranger.

I know but like I don't think it's just men that say that. My mom already told me to smile more..
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    From what I’ve seen they do that so that if you do respond, that gives them the invitation to startup a conversation....

their intentions depends on the individual but usually that’s their way of hitting on you.
  • Gaygirl2120
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    From what I’ve seen they do that so that if you do respond, that gives them the invitation to startup a conversation....

their intentions depends on the individual but usually that’s their way of hitting on you.

Unfortunately I find that to be the case a lot of the times.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Depends on the situation, but I'll rarely tell anyone I don't know anything. That's not helpful, I know... so I'll just say this...

For me personally, a smiling happy person is going to be more attractive/appealing than a non smiler. So on something like instagram where people are trying to get likes/clicks/whatever... a smile is going to be more advantageous than not.
  • Gaygirl2120
    I thought this thread would have more women thanking me for reminding them to smile while I’m out doing things throughout the day

Disappointing

Yeah, no lol
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    I get SO tired of guys asking why i'm not smiling! Maybe if strange random men would STOP talking to me, I'd smile more!!!
    #TellingMeToSmileWillOnlyMakeMeMeanMugHarder #YouDontOwnMe #HowDAREYouTryToTellMeWhatToDoAndExpectMeToListen #YaBreatheStinksWhichIsWhyImNotSmiling
  • _Miss_chievous_
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    I get SO tired of guys asking why i'm not smiling! Maybe if strange random men would STOP talking to me, I'd smile more!!!
    #TellingMeToSmileWillOnlyMakeMeMeanMugHarder #YouDontOwnMe #HowDAREYouTryToTellMeWhatToDoAndExpectMeToListen #YaBreatheStinksWhichIsWhyImNotSmiling

#hashtagsdontworkhere
  • Gaygirl2120
    Cutemesoon wrote: »

Lol exactly. I’m not trying to look friendly and attract unwanted attention. But once I tell them I like women they are usually the ones not smiling 😂
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    I find it cuter when women scowl. Fortunately I don't even need to request it.

heck, I can't remember receiving anything other than a scowl from a womenz, except maybe an eye-roll or two.