Question on Nutrients

Options
I am not going to lie, I do not like veggies. Sorry. I don't eat broccoli, cauliflower, squash, sprouts, or really anything besides: romaine and spinach lettuce, and green beans. LOL For fruits, it seems I like apples.

So, looking at my nutrients since logging my food here, I notice the following, and am curious what suggestions this group may have to help raise the level of the following:

Fiber. I eat, on average, 20 grams a day. That's it.

Vitamin C is around 20% daily, and Vitamin A is usually about nil.

Iron. Unless I am consuming red meat, I don't get much iron. Same with calcium. I really get that from drinking organic whole milk, but not a whole lot more.

Potassium. I am usually around 500-600 mg and no where close to 3,500 mg a day. I know some will say eat avocados, but I am not really into that, and they are hard right now to find in my area. San Antonio is buying them off the back of the truck it appears.

So I guess I am asking, is there a supplement or food choice that I am missing to get more Vitamin C (and A), iron, potassium, and a bit more fiber?

My confusion is if we are counting calories, along with what foods we eat, how can we get these things into our diet without sacrificing our calorie intake? Or how can we incorporate foods that provide both, our calories (at a reasonable level) and more of our nutritional levels for these things?

Thank for answering if you have suggestions.

Replies

• foolforcarbos
    foolforcarbos Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'll try to go in order here, to those kind enough to respond.

Dear psychod787, I am not sure why but I always see your profile pic as washed out white, and anything you post is just blank. I do not know why. I have never set your profile to Ignore or Block and can't imagine why I have never seen anything you have said, to anyone. It's weird.

Janejellyroll, thanks for the warning about some of the supplements. Some friends were telling me to just go get some iron supplements but I was holding off for better information.

Lemurcat2, I am sorry if you feel I was slamming anyone for my keto and processed foods. I still am stating I am not eating processed foods and am still trying to hit the macros for a typical keto diet. So while you find this amusing, nothing has changed on my end. I am still pushing forward and have stated all along that I may not hit or rarely hit ketosis, and that I am not making that an issue or a big deal.

That said, Lemurcat2, I can also see you are way more advanced with your knowledge of your diet and what vitamins that is providing, with B12 and D as possibly deficient, as an example. I am finding the only way to really get my seeds, like I have stated, eating Dave's Killer Bread Good Seed, from time to time, and have yet to try to find a way to incorporate, for example, chia seeds into my menu. I agree that beans have tons of fiber, but during the weight loss of my journey, have decided to keep beans off the menu for now, and am hoping to find more suitable ways to eat veggies, or fruits, and thus apples are okay, limited, and yet I never was one for oranges, and still off my menu (high in calories), so that is why I am asking what ways people use to get these things into their diets. I am still not ready to just abandon what is working for me, the keto principles tailored to my needs.

Barbara, thank you for the information that even MFP may not be accurately reporting my micronutrients. I hadn't thought of that. And while I knew everyone would say the best approach is to eat more varieties with veggies and fruits, even my mom gave up on that years and years ago.

I guess I am also asking what are good supplements. I agree with janejellyroll there could be some bad choices to make when one has never taken a supplement in their life, and doesn't want to go down the whole HerbalLife (?) varieties on the market.

So the question comes down to where do people, like me, supplement their micros with healthy alternatives.

For example, you can take Omega 3 fish oil caplets for those who don't want to eat fish. Can you take some supplement that I am unaware of that is like eating a bunch of chia seeds? Or some kind of capsule? Or something that ups your Vitamin C, or is just getting the tried and true Vitamin C tablets best?

How do you get potassium levels up, or does one need to?

And again, phycho787, sorry this is all I see from your posts, and I do not know why.

m4sq58rwexvx.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Dear psychod787, I am not sure why but I always see your profile pic as washed out white, and anything you post is just blank. I do not know why. I have never set your profile to Ignore or Block and can't imagine why I have never seen anything you have said, to anyone. It's weird.

Janejellyroll, thanks for the warning about some of the supplements. Some friends were telling me to just go get some iron supplements but I was holding off for better information.

Lemurcat2, I am sorry if you feel I was slamming anyone for my keto and processed foods. I still am stating I am not eating processed foods and am still trying to hit the macros for a typical keto diet. So while you find this amusing, nothing has changed on my end. I am still pushing forward and have stated all along that I may not hit or rarely hit ketosis, and that I am not making that an issue or a big deal.

That said, Lemurcat2, I can also see you are way more advanced with your knowledge of your diet and what vitamins that is providing, with B12 and D as possibly deficient, as an example. I am finding the only way to really get my seeds, like I have stated, eating Dave's Killer Bread Good Seed, from time to time, and have yet to try to find a way to incorporate, for example, chia seeds into my menu. I agree that beans have tons of fiber, but during the weight loss of my journey, have decided to keep beans off the menu for now, and am hoping to find more suitable ways to eat veggies, or fruits, and thus apples are okay, limited, and yet I never was one for oranges, and still off my menu (high in calories), so that is why I am asking what ways people use to get these things into their diets. I am still not ready to just abandon what is working for me, the keto principles tailored to my needs.

Barbara, thank you for the information that even MFP may not be accurately reporting my micronutrients. I hadn't thought of that. And while I knew everyone would say the best approach is to eat more varieties with veggies and fruits, even my mom gave up on that years and years ago.

I guess I am also asking what are good supplements. I agree with janejellyroll there could be some bad choices to make when one has never taken a supplement in their life, and doesn't want to go down the whole HerbalLife (?) varieties on the market.

So the question comes down to where do people, like me, supplement their micros with healthy alternatives.

For example, you can take Omega 3 fish oil caplets for those who don't want to eat fish. Can you take some supplement that I am unaware of that is like eating a bunch of chia seeds? Or some kind of capsule? Or something that ups your Vitamin C, or is just getting the tried and true Vitamin C tablets best?

And again, phycho787, sorry this is all I see from your posts, and I do not know why.

m4sq58rwexvx.png

You can take foods to supplement individual nutrients. It's hard to replicate with a pill the impact of eating specific foods, as these foods are a variety of macro- and micronutrients. Chia seeds are fat, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus, along with some other nutrients that I'm probably not aware of.

This is why you'll so often hear the advice to eat a variety of foods, because they're packaged in combinations that give us a bunch of things at once.

If you're choosing a diet that limits your food choices and you're layering additional dislikes of large groups of food on top of that, it's going to take some attention to your remaining food choices to ensure you're getting what you need . . . . or some diligent supplementation.

If you do decide to supplement, you don't need to pay a bunch for a fancy powder or pill. Most grocery and drug stores have a vitamin section where you can locate simple supplements for things like vitamin C. I supplement iron (on medical advice) and I think I pay $6 for a bottle that lasts for a month. It shouldn't be expensive to supplement (assuming you're in an area that has regular access to supplies, etc).

One suggestion: you can Google a term like "Good sources of potassium" and easily find lists of foods that contain the nutrient you're curious about. Before deciding you dislike all good sources of iron or potassium or whatever, it may be worth finding out exactly what vitamins are in what foods. For example, vitamin C (which you're concerned about) is in spinach, which you say you like. So you could potentially increase the serving sizes/frequency of the foods you already like in order to get what you need.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

m4sq58rwexvx.png

I dont think I am in MFP jail! Lol repost...
    Avocados ,kale and sweet potatoes for k+ and fiber. I suggest learning to like veggies. If you have to add a little fat I.E. a teaspoon per cup of non starchy, then do so. Slowly reduce added oil over time.
  • foolforcarbos
    Options
    Hey, psychod787, I can see you now. Personally, I love sweet potatoes, or yams, with butter and not all the maple syrup. So when I am ready to add that to my diet, that 's something to look forward to! Kale, not so much LOL, but can you get the same nutrients from kale chips? May try those. Avocados. Guacamole. One would think growing up in Texas I would love these things. Hm. I have added avocado to my ranch dressing. I will try to add guacamole to more of my meals. Once it can stay on the shelves long enough for me to buy it. With this C-19 virus, in my area, all the tortillas, fajitas, and guacamole is gone before the truck drives away :) But thanks.

Let me know if kale chips are just as good as eating kale cooked :) Thanks.
  • foolforcarbos
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Thank you janejellyroll for the time with your response. I will look into simple supplements and maybe ask my local pharmacist about recommendations. And I will google some more, as you suggest. Thanks. And yes, I do like raw spinach leaves. I guess one thing to do first is go back and look at what I ate on the days I hit recommended levels to see what the heck I ate that day :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you janejellyroll for the time with your response. I will look into simple supplements and maybe ask my local pharmacist about recommendations. And I will google some more, as you suggest. Thanks. And yes, I do like raw spinach leaves. I guess one thing to do first is go back and look at what I ate on the days I hit recommended levels to see what the heck I ate that day :)

That was a very useful practice for me when I started logging -- I would look at the days when I was at or close to my goals to see what I could learn for future meal planning. Good luck!
  • foolforcarbos
    Options
    Thanks just_Tomek. I am enjoying learning new recipes and not just opening a box and placing in the microwave and eating 4-5 minutes later. I will look into some recipes that can hide some of the taste and yet provide some of the micros.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Lemurcat2, I am sorry if you feel I was slamming anyone for my keto and processed foods. I still am stating I am not eating processed foods and am still trying to hit the macros for a typical keto diet.

But of course you stated before that you were eating processed foods and well above the carbs of a keto diet (which is fine, I'm not keto). You also have indicated interest in sweet potatoes which are not really consistent with keto.
    So while you find this amusing, nothing has changed on my end. I am still pushing forward and have stated all along that I may not hit or rarely hit ketosis, and that I am not making that an issue or a big deal.

Point is just that what causes you to hit potassium goals and what is consistent with a healthy diet are similar -- lots of veg, some fruit, some nuts or seeds, some beans. Not wanting to eat those is the issue, not carb amounts ( a diet with those could be high in carbs).
  • psychod787
    edited March 2020
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    There are green shakes you can drink that are pretty good and will give you few serving of veggies a day and all the nutrients. But most of us prefer to eat the actual veg. You just have to learn to prepare them correctly.

I agree with this.... The more varied your fruit and vegetable intake, the greater amount of "micros" you will get. Humans love variety. One of the reasons we seeking might be to increase our intake of vitamins and minerals. A sweet potato roasted correctly, really does not need butter. I do not suggest adding much fat to STARCHY vegetables. Non starchy, adding "some" fat is in line with making them more palatable and only slightly increasing their caloric density. Young Padawan, I think you have much to learn about nutrition. I was once very naive about it. Take some time to learn is MHO...
  • foolforcarbos
    Options
    Thank you psychod787. I never really even worried about what I ate till I re-introduced Coke products back into my life 3 years ago, after an absence of 14 years or so. I started mixing 2/3rd Coke with 1/2 black cherry cranberry juice. Got hooked.

Lemurcat2 - I do want to learn, contrary to what you may feel. And again, I am not lecturing you. Why do certain people get to discuss how they feel and yet the rest of us can't enjoy our time here, asking some questions, and giving thoughts on our experiences. And this isn't, for me, just the last 25 days, but also I refer to other times in life when I had a measurable diet with results. I've gone down this road before.

So just please, hit the ignore button if you need, and you feel I am lecturing people. Or get your facts straight if you are going to try to quote what I said, then go get the quote. I do not feel any one person, program, or diet would not need some modifications to work for others. There is no pat answer. The questions and answers here are resources/opinions - and things to consider. If anyone is coming here and thinking they need to follow one person's advice, I do not know of anyone here who is a paid consultant with all the answers - especially when they aren't providing a one on one service. So, I will kindly ask others who have more information to provide, their thoughts. This is a collective experience by many.

Again, yes... in any given diet, chances are one is going to be eating some processed foods. Mine are from mostly whole ingredients. Not corn syrups, processed artificial ingredients one cannot pronounce. I don't get why you and janejellyroll keep harping on the fact that I was willing to admit even my keto plan has some process foods. But not the junk most packaged foods carry.

My carb amounts has nothing to do with trying to hit potassium levels. Correct. And yes, my admitting that I don't like broccoli, cauliflowers, sprouts, and a lot of veggies is to provide information to the responders, of what won't be found in my diet. If that means I may have to go to a supplement for some things, and lack in others, then that's what I have done all my life. I also stated I was not going to ever be a Zone, Paleo, or Mediterranean diet candidate. Too many veggies.

So I do appreciate what psyschod787 has to say. Or you, lemurcat2, when you aren't accusing me of lecturing, when I am simply giving opinions that obviously are in conflict with yours. No one here is right 100% of the time for everyone coming here. We are sharing our experiences. We can be open to being corrected. We may decide we like our beliefs on certain things no matter who disagrees. I don't know anyone here. But I have always been up front with what I am doing. If that is a lecture, then sorry. It's giving as much information to where I am, what is working, what questions linger in my mind, and enough background so when I ask questions, that person answering may know me better, to answer that question.

I am not offended for someone saying, :Young Padawan, I think you have much to learn about nutrition. I was once very naive about it. Take some time to learn is MHO... " and get where that comment is coming from. I agree, I don't know what micronutrients are in what foods I am consuming, and now, at least, am finding out even then MFP may not be accurate on some things. That, too, was good to know. But if I am eating mostly whole foods and avoiding processed foods, or what processed foods I am consuming that have whole ingredients, then I am trying to learn.

So don't speak to me about lectures. I wasn't lecturing anyone. But you just keep seeing it that way. Fine. You do just as well with that, too. The lecturing.

From what was in my freezer to what is now the food I consume, a huge difference. Gone are all those frozen dinners. The jellies in the refrig, just simply haven't been tossed yet. But I have made huge strides in changing what I eat.

wd9yi44h3nqd.png

ucd9rbarmo9x.jpg

• psychod787
    Options
    I applaud your venture into nutrition. The amount of cumulative knowledge here is massive. While everyone has their "angles", most are just trying to help. I am very familiar with @lemurcat2 and @just_Tomek ,not so much with @janejellyroll , I know the first two are very well versed. I suggest you find your easiest point of entry. If that is keto, learn everything about keto you can. I suggest dr. Dom D' Agostino. Not people like Mat delower. Ask yourself, is keto sustainable for you? If not, think about different strategies. Best of luck.
  • foolforcarbos
    Options
    Thanks. Keto was a diet plan I could understand, then hijack, and tailor to my needs. I watched lots of videos, of which some parts I could agree with, and other parts I was like that's not me, or that can't be right, or that's too fanatical. But I do love the way you give advice. Pick a path, learn - learn - learn, then decided if you need to take a new tact.

As for the long term of Keto, lord no I don't want this to be sustainable. I want to lose the weight, and then come back and say hey, okay guys.. when you get to your weight and want that to be your set point and want to maintain, what's the best way to do that.

I haven't even gotten to thinking about set points and maintaining. I am working on losing. But staying even on my pseudo keto for now is working. But calling that sustainable? I have proved to myself what calories I need to feel satiated or full, to feel energy, or lazy, or to feel healthy or run down. I am learning which food groups I will never go back to and which I really enjoy. I can only say I plan on staying off processed foods for good, though. Oh, and I love cooking new things. So that's good. Not just opening a box and hitting some buttons. But can I slowly add pasta, in moderation, or sweet potatoes, or something else I have given up for now, hope so. That's what living is all about. Just don't want to go back to living large ;)

Thanks for the time you have spent here with me. I, again, do appreciate. Never heard of Mat DeLower, by the way. But if you meant Thomas DeLauer, yea... I'm not in agreement with him most of the time. Some. But not most. But again, he is just another resource. Whether I buy into his whole train of thoughts is my decision, in the end. Take care.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hey, there are so many different veggies, and so many ways to prepare them. You don't need to eat single florettes of broccoli or sprouts. Why not make a chili con carne with corn, bell pepper, fresh chili, green beans and potatoes next to the normal ingredients. Look up recipes for curries, and add various veggies. What about baking veggies, like aubergine? Frying in a wok to make Asian noodle dishes? Make a cottage pie with potatoes, peas and carrots,etc.
    edit: look up recipes for pea soups, goulash soups, lentil soups, etc. There are so many things you can use veggies without biting on a single piece of veggy, and so many ways to prepare them.
  • foolforcarbos
    Options
    Thank you ylrara, those are nice ideas. I don't know why, when I think about veggies, I automatically go to the ones I really hate. LOL