Sleep poorly after workout

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
Anyone with me? Did you ever find a solution to this?

When I work out in the evening I sleep very poorly and restlessly. I can't work out earlier as my blood pressure is too low to do any sport until after dinner. And then of course I need about 90 minutes until after dinner as working out with a full stomach is a no. I usually still have about 90-120 minutes until bedtime, but it's not enough. Hell, if I hike during daytime I still don't sleep well.

Replies

• jayhschmidt
    jayhschmidt Posts: 32 Member
    I've given up trying to exercise close to bedtime. I either get it done before noon, or I reduced the intensity and scold myself.
  • yirara
    edited March 2020
    I've given up trying to exercise close to bedtime. I either get it done before noon, or I reduced the intensity and scold myself.

Well, I don't unfortunately have that possibility. Plus I only have a 30 minute lunchbreak, which I need for my blood pressure - thus eating.
  • xena80s
    xena80s Posts: 18 Member

I agree. I will only get 1-3hrs sleep if I exercise in the evening.
    I understand your dilemma, I work 12hr rotating shift work. It’s not possible to exercise before day shifts or on lunch breaks. I must remain at work and grab something to eat whenever I get a chance.

• JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    Can you take your boys meds 12 hrs earlier/ later?
  • yirara
    What?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Wait, why can't you work out in the morning?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Or, at least before dinner.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    I don’t think anyone is sleeping well right now. I certainly am not.
  • yirara
    edited March 2020

Because my blood pressure is really useless until I had dinner. I'm a night person anyway. if I work out too early and try to get through it (if it works at all) then I might crash and will feel miserable for several days with regards to strength and concentration. I have no idea what this crash is. It's not sugar related, slightly salt-related but it's not the complete picture. GP doesn't know either. Thought it might somehow be related to Addisons, but I'm fine in that respect. So I avoid working out too early as I do have a job.
  • alexmose
    yirara wrote: »

Because my blood pressure is really useless until I had dinner. I'm a night person anyway. if I work out too early and try to get through it (if it works at all) then I might crash and will feel miserable for several days with regards to strength and concentration. I have no idea what this crash is. It's not sugar related, slightly salt-related but it's not the complete picture. GP doesn't know either. Thought it might somehow be related to Addisons, but I'm fine in that respect. So I avoid working out too early as I do have a job.

Do you generally have low blood pressure? I do and my doc said to up my sodium either via food or tablets. It has helped.
  • yirara
    alexmose wrote: »

Do you generally have low blood pressure? I do and my doc said to up my sodium either via food or tablets. It has helped.

Yes, I have. And especially during daytime. Things get better in the evening. But I'm also a night person. With a day-time job. The crashes though... salt helps somewhat, but doesn't prevent them crashes. Just makes them a bit milder and shorter.
  • alexmose
    What are your stats?
  • yirara
    edited March 2020
    What are your stats?

Normal weight, maintaining for ages. 46 years, female. Had the crashes as a teenager already, when I was overweight, and still have them. Only started working out some 10 years ago. So.. nothing new really. Bloods all normal (those that were tested)
  • alexmose
    What are your stats?

Normal weight, maintaining for ages. 46 years, female. Had the crashes as a teenager already, when I was overweight, and still have them. Only started working out some 10 years ago. So.. nothing new really. Bloods all normal (those that were tested)

So I was the same way. Everything was normal and then BAM low blood pressure starts. It helps for me to eat a meal, wait an hour, then workout. I workout mid morning now and refuel RIGHT after. Try a intra-workout carb or Gatorade. It helps.
  • giangdang8
    giangdang8 Posts: 3 Member
    I think you should try to go to sleep early, get up early and do exercise right after wake up. It would be much better
  • alexmose
    giangdang8 wrote: »
    I think you should try to go to sleep early, get up early and do exercise right after wake up. It would be much better

This
  • yirara
    @giangdang8 @alexmose You did read that I can't work out in the morning?
  • mfpneha
    mfpneha Posts: 1 Member
    Try changing the workout or increase intensity. If i do power yoga in the evening (730-830 pm) I cannot sleep. But if I do something more intense/cardio rich, I get sound sleep. See if there is any relationship between weight training and sleep.
  • alexmose
    Try changing the workout or increase intensity. If i do power yoga in the evening (730-830 pm) I cannot sleep. But if I do something more intense/cardio rich, I get sound sleep. See if there is any relationship between weight training and sleep.

Also this. It’s highly recommended NOT to workout close to bedtime. Go for an afternoon workout.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Also this. It’s highly recommended NOT to workout close to bedtime. Go for an afternoon workout.

I feel like you're missing something critical in the OP: "my blood pressure is too low to do any sport until after dinner."

OP can't workout until after dinner. I think we all understand that if they could, it would be an easy solution. But the blood pressure makes that impossible. So I'm confused as to why this suggestion keeps popping up in the thread.