25% of all women...................... Seriously???

Options
124»

Replies

• femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i purposely went out and bought a ton of size 8's and size 6's because i am so going to get there!!! :-) i bought them at the thrift store and got 33 articles of clothing for $58. :-) yes, i love me some bargains. :-)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm often surprised on weightloss boards by the number of women claiming to be much smaller sizes than they actually are. I mean, if there's one place where we might be honest, surely it's a site like this?

I suspect the trend towards stretch and jersey fabrics plays a role in convincing people they're thinner than they really are....
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I mean, if there's one place where we might be honest, surely it's a site like this?

<
    too big of chi-chis, one big gut, and no butt, right here! :happy: Don't know any actual measurements....too scared.
  • izziegirl101
    Options
    I probably am one of the 25%. When I was still wearing kids clothes, I would usually be wearing a size too small. It was just too difficult for me to admit that I was growing and needed larger sizes, so instead I made it fit. It never looked bad, just felt uncomfortable.
    I still wear kid sizes now occasionally, even though they are a bit small. It gives me a bit of self satisfaction that I CAN fit into them, it looks just fine, even very nice sometimes, and I save money! Wearing something a little tight also motivates me. If I wear them throughout the day when I'm eating my meals, I will definitely not overeat, because I want to be able to fit into the clothes nicely.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything worse or more uncomfortable....but it seems to run rampant in the high schools especially. I see so many young girls in these awfully tight jeans with bellies just hanging over them...sometimes with a flesh belt showing. It looks so, so bad and uncomfortable!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Well all my clothes are too big, but since I just bought them a couple months ago, I am stuck with them for a while longer. Love my handy dandy sewing machine to take in certain seams!

My problem is the opposite of the OP's comment: I look at size 4's and think...wow that looks too small, I'll get something bigger. Get home and find out...the "bigger" really is TOO big. I still see myself as the size 10 or 12, not a size 4 or 5.
    THIS. I look at a 12/14 and I think that looks totally reasonable. I was that size for sooooo long. I think that looks like the size I would fit. I grabbed a pair of 4's the other day and thought they looked teeny...and they fit. Granted they had some stretch in the jeans...but I just couldn't believe my eyes!
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    That's funny, I buy clothes that are too big for me since I'm used to my old sizes.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Well all my clothes are too big, but since I just bought them a couple months ago, I am stuck with them for a while longer. Love my handy dandy sewing machine to take in certain seams!

My problem is the opposite of the OP's comment: I look at size 4's and think...wow that looks too small, I'll get something bigger. Get home and find out...the "bigger" really is TOO big. I still see myself as the size 10 or 12, not a size 4 or 5.
    THIS. I look at a 12/14 and I think that looks totally reasonable. I was that size for sooooo long. I think that looks like the size I would fit. I grabbed a pair of 4's the other day and thought they looked teeny...and they fit. Granted they had some stretch in the jeans...but I just couldn't believe my eyes!

I posted the same thing earlier about how I won't buy jeans if they are a bit snug when I try them on but then the bigger size stretches too much! I have to remind myself that clothes esp. jeans will stretch and I may have a day where I'm breaking it in but it's better than having them fall off all the time!
  • bgoss4
    Options
    I think nothing looks more unattractive then people craming themselves into clothes that don't fit! I mean why do that.. it just looks so uncomfortable!
    plus it's a waste of money! i would rather have a ton of clothes that i could wear instead of a closet full that i couldn't!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm often surprised on weightloss boards by the number of women claiming to be much smaller sizes than they actually are. I mean, if there's one place where we might be honest, surely it's a site like this?

I suspect the trend towards stretch and jersey fabrics plays a role in convincing people they're thinner than they really are....

The way I look at it...if I can pull the pants off without undoing the button/snap and zipper, then they're not my size anymore :laugh: . And if you could fit two of me into the top, then I should probably be buying a smaller size.

I recently took in some dress slacks, nearly 2" total (1/2" in on either side of the pants legs), but they're still pretty baggy. But for me, the next size smaller is a bit too tight around the waist, so I'll deal with it until my waist shrinks to match my hips. Plus I can't afford to buy a new wardrobe every 10-15 pounds!~
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My problem is that when I see a shirt or pants that fits me, I can tell it fits me... but it doesn't look any smaller than the big cloths I wore at my highest weight. I remember the first time I tried on a medium shirt at the mall. I was like, "wow, this medium is HUGE. No wonder I fit. Must be one of those billowy style shirts." Nope... it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. I have some of my old fat cloths that I haven't thrown away yet, and those are absolutely enormous. Much bigger than the "huge" mediums I wear now.

It's weird how we perceive things.
  • mmiiaa
    mmiiaa Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I will admit, I HAVE bought a few shirts that were too small for me. In my defense, I have a larger bust, but it fit my stomach just right. After wearing the shirt once or twice, then washing it, it always fits me perfectly. See, I have a reason, right!? And it's not like it's just terribly tiny on me. It's a little tight around the bust, but my washer stretches everything. If I don't buy clothes that are smaller, I'll have clothes that are too big and I'd never wear them.

I don't see why anyone would want to buy something blatantly too small for them, though. It's highly unflattering. Not at all a confidence boost. I'd look in the mirror, see the muffin, and feel terrible all day.
  • Murphk323
    Options
    24q3b41.gif
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Not true for me.
    I used to shop for HUGE shirts to cover up my muffin top. I'd even go to the plus size stores for tops. Then I'd get dirty looks from the ladies in there....its like hey lady...you got more a defined waist than me and no frontal buttocks like me!
    Thanks to my job I can eyeball clothes and know if they won't fit ( I fit uniforms for a living ) so I don't really have a hard time. I never look at the size either...if it looks like it may fit, I get it.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am not one of those for sure. It better freakin' fit or I'm not spending the money!
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Considering I practice in skin tight spandex, I like to wear the right size clothes whenever I'm not in an ice rink! The 25% of women who LIKE to CRAM themselves into their clothes are just making themselves look yucky to others :P
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Well, I have an interesting problem ... It would appear that I am between sizes, too big for the largest size at regular stores and too small for the "big girl" stores. So, I would say that I buy clothing that is too small for me for this reason only. I cannot find proper fitting clothing for the most part :(

And that is why I am here and working so hard, would rather get smaller than larger to purchase clothing that fits me.
  • McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just went shopping yesterday, I got stuff that was JUST a snidge too tight. I am a tight wad, (25lbs down AND COUNTING) lol That can be the only reason I would seem deemingly sane to do something of the sort.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've done this a few times.

Firstly, it's been motivational. The dress I am wearing in my profile pic was expensive, I bought it s size smaller because 'my' size at the time was gaping at the bust and loose fitting on the hips / butt. The smaller size I bought fit perfectly on top but was snug on my thighs, hips and butt. It gave me the motivation to firm and tone up those areas. On the day I wore it in this pic, it fit perfectly.

Secondly, my body shape means that I tend to find trousers that fit round my waist and are tight round my hips /butt/ thighs or fit round those areas, but are very loose round my waist. I do wear belts, but if the trousers are too loose, they end up looking really scrunched up which is also not flattering!