Gone VEGAN. Never going back

Options
6 weeks ago I had my annual physical. My cholesterol tested at 213!! And I thought I was somewhat healthy. That freaked me out to know that I ate better than just about anyone I knew and I was only perhaps 10-15 lbs overweight and could easily cycle 50 miles. Then I started to think about all the other things that simply weren't right in my body. I made a list and the list was sooooooo long it shocked me even more. I'll give just a few here. 1. Chronic inflammation in muscles, joints and connective tissues. 2. Fatigue when I shouldn't have been. 3. Forgetfulness 4. Yucky stools (sorry about that) 5. Poor sleep. 6. Gout 7. Anger 8. and a whole bunch of more highly personal things. The day after my cholesterol test I decided to go 100% vegan. I didn't eat a lot of meat prior to this. About 4-5 servings a week.

Well....... within a week the inflammation began to subside and within 2 weeks it was ALL gone. Everything else improved and/or disappeared within a month and on week 5 I had my cholesterol tested again. It was ........... 131! It dropped 82 points in just over a month. My Doctor nearly wet his pants. He couldn't believe it. In the past I had heard "stories" about huge turn arounds and I was always skeptical or thought perhaps that would happen to one out of a million people. I'm not a one in a million person. I'm just ordinary and all these things happened to me. I am almost 54 years old and I feel like I'm 30. Actually I'm better now than I was when I was 30. But I feel as good as I have for as far back as I can recall. Gone VEGAN and never going back. It works and it feels great.

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    i am glad that it worked for you- that is wonderful- it did not work out for me- BUT we are all different so GREAt you found something that helps you be healthy- kudos
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    OP, your post makes you sound like a walking ad for veganism. :) My dd is vegan and I highly respect her decision, as I do yours. I tried it many years ago, lost weight and did feel much better. But I couldn't stay on it more than 3 months because I like my chicken too much. I still wish I could adhere to a vegan diet; I think there are a lot of benefits to eating plant-based. I'm glad to hear it's been so successful for you. It's hard to believe your cholesterol has dropped so much in a mere 5 weeks.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Looks like an honeymoon moment. :)

I think a plant-based diet (not veganism - too controversy) is a great idea.... that I don't follow. I eat little meat, typically two times a week.

To maintain a low cholesterol (sub 150) is also another goal of mine. 131 is gold,
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol level went from high to low between blood tests 6 months apart...and I ate more meats, eggs, etc. PS..I've never met a truly happy/healthy vegan. But good luck.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I think being a whole foods vegan is admirable. I have seen people lose LARGE amounts of weight without counting calories and maintain it. I think, like many dietary styles, when the processed food industry gets a hold of it they make vegan "junk" foods that are no better than "regular" junk food, people regain. Just an observation.... Personally, I am making a greater effort to include more non meat protein in my diet. Lintels, beans, yogurt, eggs, ect...
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I dont find this site anti vegan - although admittedly I am not a vegan so perhaps that skews my perception - it is anti hyperbolic claims - I went vegan (keto, paleo,quit sugar/processed foods/soda) and all my stage 4 tumour disappeared within a week!! :o
    I dont find this site anti vegan - although admittedly I am not a vegan so perhaps that skews my perception - it is anti hyperbolic claims - I went vegan (keto, paleo,quit sugar/processed foods/soda) and all my stage 4 tumour disappeared within a week!! :o

I have seen life changing health benefits and conditions.eliminated by a Vegan diet. It's more than just going vegan however; other things matter-
    Leafy Greens and cruciferous vegetables
    Herbs, healing spices
    Nothing processed or with additives, sugar, etc
    Nuts or nut butters, seeds
    Tempeh, Non GMO sprouted or organic tofu( for some)
    Plant proteins
    Healthy fats, Avocado, coconut MCT, olives, hemp

People are all unique and remarkable. Diet DOES matter and can, should be and is used medicinally.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what were your other numbers? Like triglycerides, fasting glucose, HDL, LDL? Did you have CRP or A1C tested?

Total cholesterol is a pretty meaningless number, especially given HDL (protective) increases it. What is more important is fasting glucose, CRP, and triglycerides.

Also keep in mind that a lot of things can influence cholesterol test. So putting all confidence is a single test is not always beneficial. You ultimately want to look at trends.