For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of your veggies, I'm going through salad withdrawals after two days without my salad of rainbow vegetables and am down to potatoes, onions, jalapenos, and carrots. At lunch today I looked down at my boring-colored potatoes and parsnips, only color was the paprika on the potatoes! Can't wait to go to the grocery store Friday after two weeks, I'll be like a pig in mud. This is the lowest I've been on veg since I changed my WOE 16 months ago.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I'm so jealous of your veggies, I'm going through salad withdrawals after two days without my salad of rainbow vegetables and am down to potatoes, onions, jalapenos, and carrots. At lunch today I looked down at my boring-colored potatoes and parsnips, only color was the paprika on the potatoes! Can't wait to go to the grocery store Friday after two weeks, I'll be like a pig in mud. This is the lowest I've been on veg since I changed my WOE 16 months ago.

Sorry you are produce-parched... paprika counts! Take the wins :)
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My lovely local veg box company normally allows me to swap things out, but because they have been mobbed with new customers over the last couple of weeks they've temporarily changed it, now you just get what your given.

This is mostly fine, and I want to support them as they are doing a good job keeping up in tough times.
    But last week they sent me a gigantic bag of kale....

I try hard not to waste food, but hate the stuff - any top tips to make it edible?
    (Husband says he he likes it, but hasn't managed to actually eat any of it yet!)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    My lovely local veg box company normally allows me to swap things out, but because they have been mobbed with new customers over the last couple of weeks they've temporarily changed it, now you just get what your given.

This is mostly fine, and I want to support them as they are doing a good job keeping up in tough times.
    But last week they sent me a gigantic bag of kale....

I try hard not to waste food, but hate the stuff - any top tips to make it edible?
    (Husband says he he likes it, but hasn't managed to actually eat any of it yet!)

If you don't like the taste I'd put it in a soup or stew so the rest of the flavor takes it over and the flavor won't be as strong.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Cook it -- it's great in soup. Look up recipes with white beans.

Also massage it or blanche it if using raw -- I'd recommend looking for recipes with sweet potatoes or butternut squash. I can't recall the recipe I used as a template, but I've done warm kale salads with those ingredients, fruit (apples or cranberries), and an apple cider vinegar based dressing and had them turn out great. Pepitas are a common addition or walnuts or whatever you have on hand.

Back to cooking, it's fine in omelets, just needs more time than spinach.

Smoothies, of course.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    Microwave gourmet because No Work Life Balance rn... brocco ‘microRoasted’ (it’s a thing. Art form. Or... tragic. You decide..), purple yam (also nuked), salad with thinly shaved fennel, spinach, other stuff.

<snip>

m955q24tdckt.jpeg

Once a cauliflower. A freezing afternoon, hot hot hot oven for days... ok, hours.. had sprayed with coconut oil and rubbed spices in prior.

OK....
    1. Please expound on this "micro roast" concept!
    2. That cauliflower looks fab. I haven't roasted whole. What time/temp do you get to that crispy looking goodness?

Thanks much, and ENJOY!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Kept it simple last night, but no pictures.

Separated a hunk-o-broccoli into large spears; tossed with the usual suspects and roasted. Oh. Yeah. And a big ol' parsnip chopped in chunks. Those got the same spices (olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne, and a little curry).

For grins, I also marinated a half package of cubed tempeh in some Bragg's, garlic, smoked cayenne, and a little yeast. That roasted a little bit faster than the veggies, and was tasty-crispy even with no added oil.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a kale fan, but do like kale chips. Season with something tasty like furikake, instant ranch powder, nutritional yeast, vinegar salt, garlic salt or truffle salt.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions, I will try them.

I had thought if I chopped it small and stirred it into curry sauce that would probably work, but these are all more interesting.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Working through some fresh produce while it's still fresh. I roasted broccoli yesterday, so I used some in a big green romaine salad tonight.
    7lxhvp4ib8tw.jpg
    After it was assembled, I tossed with just a little olive oil, balsamic, black pepper, basil, and oregano. Yummers!

I marinated the other half of a pack of tempeh from yesterday; I have another pack for the next few days. Roasted that until crispy. Also cut up some of the broccoli stalks, a carrot and a beet.

59y0jk3fee72.jpg
    znej4kunz0l5.jpg

I was a little disappointed that the pattern in the beets went away when cooked, but it was a nice big fat honkin' meal.

zp4j78kij0wb.jpg

Some neighbors had a "cookie contest," so I have to taste chocolate chip cookies later and rate 'em. One batch is flatter and butterier. I should have some calories left. My friend G. brought some by in a plastic zip seal bag with a clip on it and some disinfecting wipes under the clip. My friend K. dropped a plastic zip seal bag in my mailbox. I know they kept a clean kitchen and clean hands, so I'm no more concerned than I would be from taking out from a local restaurant. Actually, I am LESS concerned because I know they are both on top of all this virus *kitten*.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    @Safari_Gal That looks stunning! Love the look and would love to have some
  • acpgee
    Options
    The only salad at the supermarket today was iceberg. Griddled is my favourite treatment for iceberg. Side of roasted okra.
    bmnhx43onno9.jpeg
    73e3k8pilzz1.jpeg
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    There is a bar/restaurant near me that sells fried okra as an appetizer/snack. They deep fry it (French fry basket) until it just starts turning black, then salt it generously. I don’t much like popcorn, but I LOVE their okra.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Cambodian beef lok lak is a nice way to eat salad.
    fkc5jrjondvn.jpeg
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Griddled romaine drizzled with ranch.
    9ue5sz0euzee.jpeg

I loved the idea of grilled romaine, i finally tried it tonight. Seasoned and brushed some balsamic vinegar on it and grilled. Served with drizzle of lemon, grilled butternut squash and lamb chop. So was 100 percent bbq night. My rack of lamb caught on fire tonight, i walked away for less than two minutes while searing it, but still came out decent. Not my best, lol, but ok. I loved how bbq changed romaine lettuce. I'm not a big fan of it, i only like it in taco salads we make. I much prefer other kinds of greens, even kale that many people strongly dislike. But grilling it was good and so quick and simple. I will experiment with different dressings, maybe. And probably leave it on the grill a tad longer.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I normally drizzle cut sides of lettuce with olive oil before grilling.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Di San Xian with courgette replacing green pepper. If you want to avoid deep frying the potato and aubergine, toss in a little hot oil in the wok then finish cooking in an air fryer or oven.
    8uz3113aww67.jpeg