124»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Not just dream up random numbers. [/b][/i]

You are making this personal and unnecessarily (and inappropriately) derogatory. I provided links to five different web sources of formulas for walking calories, all of which agree with each other. I then provided three additional sites that use the same numbers as those five sites, one being MFP itself. All along, my argument has been that if eight different web sites are in agreement on an estimate for walking calories, and there is one outlier, RW, that 9th one may be the one to call into question, which is an eminently sensible thing to suggest. It is hardly "dreaming up random numbers".

Your increasing sarcasm and hostility toward my posts is uncalled for, and not a great look, tbh.

Your beating a dead horse over what have been demonstrated to be fairly minor differences ain't exactly a great look, while we're on the subject of looks. Just sayin'...
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

You are making this personal and unnecessarily (and inappropriately) derogatory. I provided links to five different web sources of formulas for walking calories, all of which agree with each other. I then provided three additional sites that use the same numbers as those five sites, one being MFP itself. All along, my argument has been that if eight different web sites are in agreement on an estimate for walking calories, and there is one outlier, RW, that 9th one may be the one to call into question, which is an eminently sensible thing to suggest. It is hardly "dreaming up random numbers".

Your increasing sarcasm and hostility toward my posts is uncalled for, and not a great look, tbh.

Nope - not derogatory, maybe blunt but as the same message seems to have to be repeated multiple times then perhaps you should expect blunt responses? You asked me questions I replied even though some of the questions were rather peculiar.
    Do I believe it's a reasonable estimate - yes, would I tell that to an obese person - yes, would I tell that to a normal weight but sweaty woman - yes.

I sincerely think you lack a lot of basic knowledge about how web sites and fitness apps work in how they source information as well as lacking a working understanding of exercise physiology.

I could find 20 TDEE sites using the same TDEE formula - that's 1 source, 1 formula and not 20 independent sources or data points.
    That MapMyWalk, MyFitnessPal and The Compendium all use the same ultimate source is not three separate data points as another example. Same as if I canvassed 50 people who use the 0.3 multiplier for walking - that would be 1 source not 50.

That you seem to want to believe big calorie burns are due to getting sweaty, or feeling hard due to a low fitness levels, or someone unfit having a high exercise HR shows a lack of knowledge I'm afraid. If you think that's derogatory then sorry but I don't know how to sugar coat that message. It's something most cyclists who switch from HR based training to power meter based training have to confront - feeling hard means very little in terms of actual energy expenditure. In cycling terms feeling hard to a pro would be double the calories compared to my feels hard, feeling hard to an unfit novice might be half my calories for the same duration.....

Choose the method for walking estimates you like and I'm sure you can make it work for you but don't go rubbishing other methods which are well based and successfully used by many. I've not called your methods "absurd" (that's pretty hostile...) or falsely stating people claim one method as "gospel" (that's pretty rude). Maybe you need to consider your choice of words as much as you think I should?

You can even use MyFitnessPal gross calorie estimates based on speed if you really want to and as long as you modify your calorie intake accordingly, or simply get lucky with all the other estimates that contribute to a person's calorie balance, you can make a success of weight loss and I hope you do. If you do a high volume of walking then some big adjustments might have to be made, if a low volume the difference becomes far less significant.

PS - feel free to block me if you wish, you seem to be taking an online discussion a bit too much to heart.

You are an extremely patronizing person.

Who I choose to block is my business. Or perhaps you have six studies to quote that prove it isn't my business. Good lord. Tiresome.

You mock a 3 mph 3 mle walk as failing to qualify for "brisk walk". I bet many people on this board would be ecstatic to be able to complete a three mile walk at any pace. I know it took me six or eight months to being able to complete such a feat. You are arrogant.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

Nope - not derogatory, maybe blunt but as the same message seems to have to be repeated multiple times then perhaps you should expect blunt responses? You asked me questions I replied even though some of the questions were rather peculiar.
    Do I believe it's a reasonable estimate - yes, would I tell that to an obese person - yes, would I tell that to a normal weight but sweaty woman - yes.

I sincerely think you lack a lot of basic knowledge about how web sites and fitness apps work in how they source information as well as lacking a working understanding of exercise physiology.

I could find 20 TDEE sites using the same TDEE formula - that's 1 source, 1 formula and not 20 independent sources or data points.
    That MapMyWalk, MyFitnessPal and The Compendium all use the same ultimate source is not three separate data points as another example. Same as if I canvassed 50 people who use the 0.3 multiplier for walking - that would be 1 source not 50.

That you seem to want to believe big calorie burns are due to getting sweaty, or feeling hard due to a low fitness levels, or someone unfit having a high exercise HR shows a lack of knowledge I'm afraid. If you think that's derogatory then sorry but I don't know how to sugar coat that message. It's something most cyclists who switch from HR based training to power meter based training have to confront - feeling hard means very little in terms of actual energy expenditure. In cycling terms feeling hard to a pro would be double the calories compared to my feels hard, feeling hard to an unfit novice might be half my calories for the same duration.....

Choose the method for walking estimates you like and I'm sure you can make it work for you but don't go rubbishing other methods which are well based and successfully used by many. I've not called your methods "absurd" (that's pretty hostile...) or falsely stating people claim one method as "gospel" (that's pretty rude). Maybe you need to consider your choice of words as much as you think I should?

You can even use MyFitnessPal gross calorie estimates based on speed if you really want to and as long as you modify your calorie intake accordingly, or simply get lucky with all the other estimates that contribute to a person's calorie balance, you can make a success of weight loss and I hope you do. If you do a high volume of walking then some big adjustments might have to be made, if a low volume the difference becomes far less significant.

PS - feel free to block me if you wish, you seem to be taking an online discussion a bit too much to heart.

You are an extremely patronizing person.

Who I choose to block is my business. Or perhaps you have six studies to quote that prove it isn't my business. Good lord. Tiresome.

You mock a 3 mph 3 mle walk as failing to qualify for "brisk walk". I bet many people on this board would be ecstatic to be able to complete a three mile walk at any pace. I know it took me six or eight months to being able to complete such a feat. You are arrogant.

The thing is though: it is! Unless you stopped walking for years. If I go out into a forest during the weekend I see hundreds of people walking around, from children to 80 years old. Of course I would not expect this from someone who just broke their leg. But that doesn't mean it's anything but normal for the majority of people.