COVID - 19 ... Our New Reality

13»

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    I'm another one who needs higher dumbbells, I thought they were expensive so I made the mistake of thinking about it when I went to order they're all gone or being price gauged.

A. I'm staying under calories, I'm in maintenance now and am trying to figure out my Fitbit calories and how much to eat. If anything I'm eating more because I'm working out a lot and taking a lot of steps. I've been trying new recipes based on the food I have left plus had just checked out two Skinnytaste cookbooks.

B Exercise, I really miss the gym! I'm trying to get 15,00-20,000 steps a day. I've been getting up and drinking my coffee with music on, laptop on the counter, and dancing/walking in place while online. My bike was tuned up and I just got it back. I've been doing You Tube videos, cardio, dance, weight lifting, ab and plank challenges, and just discovered foam rolling. I'm going to try an intro belly dancing class which ought to be interesting as my lower back is fused!

C. I'm game for gaining muscle but no fat!

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I need heavier dumbbells too. I was hoping I had at least 20# ones, but finally went and got mine out of the garage and the heaviest I have are 15#. I was talking to my sister last night about it, and both of us were wondering if it would be possible to order more or if the shipping cost would be prohibitive. I'd love to have a variety of heavier ones. Will have to look into the options.

I was looking for 20# or 25# can't find them anywhere. I even looked at Facebook Marketplace.

Finally my trainer said he can get me a pair of 20# from the gym that I can use until this is over. I hope he can come through with them.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 585 Member
    1. Because I was just re-starting on here when this started, I've been in the "experimenting" phase about what and how much I should eat. I'm eating whatever I want and keeping it into my calorie budget, which I increased by 500 cals since starting on 3/01. Most of the time my food choices are fairly healthy; some days, snack foods are my go-to. I'm not going to sweat it, now or two years from now, because it's the larger pattern that matters most.

2. Getting more exercise than usual, despite our weather being rather cold and wet until just this week. Mostly walking with my dogs 2 times a day and really enjoying it.

3. I plan to keep losing slowly and steadily. I'll adjust expectations if I have to--although the only thing that I can imagine would make me perhaps more likely to gain is losing the freedom to be outside and jog/walk.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2020
    A. What are you doing maintain your calorie count?
    Not much has changed for me. I already work and workout from home. I continue to plan out my meals. Exercise/move daily. No mindless or night snacking. Writing in my food/exercise journal daily.

B. How are you compensating for your normal exercise routine?
    Other then not being able to hike, take long brisk walks, do hill runs in the park (they are closed) or take my aerial yoga/pole fitness classes, I workout 100% at home. I exercise in my backyard (burpees, jump rope, bodyweight work), I use Youtube workouts and I have a nice home gym setup. Also I have a pup that needs his walks, but we don't venture too far from the house anymore.

C. How many pounds (gained) are you willing to allow yourself in this pandemic?
    I maintain a 10 pound range year round. I'm working hard to stay there. I am stepping on the scale more then usual just to make sure. I'm a little under my target right now, so I need to knock the cardio back a bit. I am exercising more then usual because I really enjoy it and have a bit of extra time.
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member

I’m doing the same thing as I was before the virus. Preplanning with a prioritization of calories and protein first followed by carbs and fats. With that said, since I am home now I just have more of a solidified eating schedule and hardly deviate from it. In the end, it’s still the same mentality, eat pretty good most of the time.

B. How are you compensating for your normal excercise routine?

I already did my strength training from home so no change for me. However, I am getting out for an extra walk each day to avoid getting sedentary.

I’m currently at the bottom of my maintenance range at 182. I’m comfortable if I went up to 187 and wouldn’t stress about it. I would just know I need to get back to maintenance a week or two and then slowly adapt a reasonable deficit.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    Not much has changed for me. I already work and workout from home. I continue to plan out my meals. Exercise/move daily. No mindless or night snacking. Writing in my food/exercise journal daily.

Other then not being able to hike, take long brisk walks, do hill runs in the park (they are closed) or take my aerial yoga/pole fitness classes, I workout 100% at home. I exercise in my backyard (burpees, jump rope, bodyweight work), I use Youtube workouts and I have a nice home gym setup. Also I have a pup that needs his walks, but we don't venture too far from the house anymore.

I maintain a 10 pound range year round. I'm working hard to stay there. I am stepping on the scale more then usual just to make sure. I'm a little under my target right now, so I need to knock the cardio back a bit. I am exercising more then usual because I really enjoy it and have a bit of extra time.

If you have a pole at home, you should check out the many virtual classes being offered. I took one last night and it felt so good to get back to it!
  • SagiCutie90
    SagiCutie90 Posts: 2 Member
    GoalGal50 wrote: »
    As we are all now affected by COVID-19, how does this sabotage your progress or does it?

I’m continuing to track my calories daily like normal. No change

I’ve been taking daily walks and to compensate less exercise at the gym I am eating less calories

I’m not willing to allow myself any weight gain. I’m trying to and going to LOSE weight! Ideally 20-25 lbs!

• LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    1. My logging has been pretty much the same, I pre-log my day.
    2. I either take walks through my neighborhood with my son or do laps in the backyard, tbh my steps have gone down a lot, but I'm not stressing it.
    3. Ive actually lost about 4 lbs since I've been let go due to all this (a lil over 2 weeks ago), and there will be more to follow since I'm in the middle of TOM
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member

I am actually doing so much better than when I was at work with easy access to restaurants and workplace junk food. I cook more and do not impulse buy unhealthy food. I am using this pandemic as an opportunity to reset and recalibrate so I make healthier decisions. Already down about seven pounds in last three weeks of being home!

My apartment is 300sq feet so I am walking outside around my Brooklyn neighborhood for 1-2 hrs per day. I'd like to start taking my jump rope and maybe do a 30-minute kickboxing routine using my Nike app once I find a good place to workout outside.

I'll honestly be disappointed if I don't lose a nice portion of weight given some of the healthier choices I'm making.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I’m basically a stay at home mom again and homeschooling my 8 yr old. It’s stressful. I get about 30 minutes a day to myself to get a workout in. I don’t expect to make any more progress but I hope I don’t lose the progress I’ve made. I’m just trying to not lose my mind at this point. I’m in CT and everything is shut down. Working from home, my kid has been home since 3/13.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    So far, my wife and I have been maintaining, but it's been hard. We've been working out everyday, but the crap foods we have laying around the house have not been conducive to keeping up a diet-compliant deficit. I've gained back a pound or two, which isn't a huge concern so far, but the "bunker in place" stuff can't end a minute too soon for us.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Honestly, my day to day life hasn’t changed a lot.
    My husband and I are self employed and work from home even before CV.
    I’m still logging my calories. I’m in maintenance and don’t intend to gain.
    I already worked out at home. Body weight HIIT routines. Beach walks with our dog. Bike rides in our neighborhood. The only part of that that’s changed is our beaches are closed.
    We’re too busy all day since our work is online sales, and everybody is ordering online now. We don’t stop moving.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

I'm in maintenance and do a few days off log, a few days on. That hasn't changed. I still weigh each day and plan my meals.

I usually alternate running with resistance work and a Monday night skate. I've been only running and my mileage is increasing so it's been kinda neat to concentrate on that alone.

None outside of typical fluctuation. I am still in control.
  • Savannahbb96
    Savannahbb96 Posts: 3 Member
    You shouldn't be having the mindset that this will sabotage anything! If you were in a lean bulking phase, I would suggest going back down to maintenance as you will not be in optimal conditions to gain muscle unless you have a pretty impressive home gym set up (squat rack, etc). Keep in mind that if training is less intense and steps are down your maintenance calories will be slightly lower than they were. Keep steps consistent as much as possible. Continue to stimulate muscle with band/bodyweight work and stay vigilant with diet! Check this out for tips on things to stock up on: https://www.predatornutrition.com/articlesdetail?cid=hitting-macros-during-food-shortages