What foods were invented in your home city/country/region?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Fingersteaks and fry sauce. Welcome to Idaho. ;)

7c9wl5e3umfn.jpg
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    In Lewiston, Idaho at Bojack's Broiler, a bar upstairs, restaurant downstairs they make bite-size steak. They won't give out the recipe, many have tried to duplicate it and therefore many different styles and recipes have evolved.

Also in this very local area you can get a Clamdigger. It's a vodka drink like a Bloody Mary but much more tasty. I've tried to order them in different areas and they don't know what it is, here in Idaho.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    vggb wrote: »
    In Lewiston, Idaho at Bojack's Broiler, a bar upstairs, restaurant downstairs they make bite-size steak. They won't give out the recipe, many have tried to duplicate it and therefore many different styles and recipes have evolved.

Also in this very local area you can get a Clamdigger. It's a vodka drink like a Bloody Mary but much more tasty. I've tried to order them in different areas and they don't know what it is, here in Idaho.

Two Idahoans in a row! What are the chances? :laugh:
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Minnesota----hotdish maybe?

I've lived in Italy 36 yrs and the list is long. Here are just a few. Will add more later:

Gelato
    Pizza
    Bologni (Mortadella--city Bologna)
    Tomato sauce
    Parmigiano Reggiano
    Cacio e Peppe ( thick spaghetti like pasta w pecorino and freshly ground black pepper)
    Pecorino cheese
    Mozzarella (especially mozzarella di bufala-comes from water buffalo milk)
    Pasta Amartriciana
    Raviolli--also Chinese
    Pasta
    Porcini mushrooms
    Proscuitto (especially Parma)
    Risotto
    Asiago cheese
    Panettone
    Nutella
    Baci (chocolate kiss with an entire hazelnut inside)
    Aceto Balsamico (balsamic vinegar)
    Prosecco
    Barolo (red wine)
    Limoncello (lemon liquor)

Minnesota (my adopted home) is also the birthplace of the "Juicy Lucy," a burger stuffed with cheese. But honestly, I think risotto, limoncello, porcini mushrooms, and pasta are the winners hands down.

Hey, neighbor!

Adding to this...

Anything from General Mills, thank Minnesota! Pizza rolls, Lucky Charms, etc. ALSO... anything from Betty Crocker and Pillsbury! Flour! Baking mix! Also, the Nut Goodie bar, Milky Way, Salted Nut Roll and "bar" desserts... :)
  • vggb
    Options
    vggb wrote: »

Two Idahoans in a row! What are the chances? :laugh:

• vggb
    Options
    It looks like this Idahoan is a techno-challenged also :# But yes, one in a million!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Minnesota----hotdish maybe?

I've lived in Italy 36 yrs and the list is long. Here are just a few. Will add more later:

Gelato
    Pizza
    Bologni (Mortadella--city Bologna)
    Tomato sauce
    Parmigiano Reggiano
    Cacio e Peppe ( thick spaghetti like pasta w pecorino and freshly ground black pepper)
    Pecorino cheese
    Mozzarella (especially mozzarella di bufala-comes from water buffalo milk)
    Pasta Amartriciana
    Raviolli--also Chinese
    Pasta
    Porcini mushrooms
    Proscuitto (especially Parma)
    Risotto
    Asiago cheese
    Panettone
    Nutella
    Baci (chocolate kiss with an entire hazelnut inside)
    Aceto Balsamico (balsamic vinegar)
    Prosecco
    Barolo (red wine)
    Limoncello (lemon liquor)

Polenta
    Pasta fagioli (pasta w beans)
    Cappucino
    Espresso
    Cannoli (filled with ricotta cheese)
    Torta Caprese (cake w chocolate and ground almonds)
    Frittata
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    First_McDonalds%2C_San_Bernardino%2C_California.jpg
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Buffalo, NY....

So deep fried chicken wings doused in a vinegar-based hot sauce.

Beef on Weck (Buffalo variation being the salted roll with caraway seeds.)

I think also horseradish mustard and Chiavetti's chicken (grilled with a specific marinade). Possibly also sponge candy and 'medium-thickness' pizza.

And we can't claim it as ours, but a small chunk of our city perpetually smells like baking Cheerios. (thankfully a much, much larger and more central portion than smells like rancid milk). (General Mills and Sorrento cheese factories).

ETA (after googling) : apparently, we might also be responsible for chicken finger subs. And a type of peanut doused donut. And not ours, but supposedly fish fries aren't to be found ubiquitously year round on Friday nights elsewhere.
  • tiredmommy17
    tiredmommy17 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    hx9uveuwvhv5.jpeg
    mtho00abcji3.jpeg
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Central NY here, so I'll take credit for chicken riggies, spiedies, salt potatoes and our famous NYS Fair wine slushy. :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    While opinions may differ, San Francisco (my home town) and the SF Bay Area arguably are the birthplace for the following:

Popsicles
    Chinese Fortune Cookies
    The Martini cocktail
    It's It (ice cream sandwich)
    Cioppino (seafood stew)
    Chicken Tetrazini (pasta casserole)
    Crab Louis (seafood salad)

See: https://delishably.com/misc/Foods-That-Were-Born-in-the-San-Francisco-Bay-Area

Also created in SF but not listed above is Boudin's uniquely flavored and delicious sourdough bread and, my guess is, the clam chowder dish served in a "bowl' of a hollowed out round of sourdough bread served to countless tourists who have visited Fisherman's Wharf for at least 60 yrs, which is how far back that I can remember them being served there

And lastly (at least for now), the Ghiardelli chocolate company was founded in SF and was still made in the bldg/shopping mall that still bears its name near Acquatic Park until sometime in the 60's, when you could still smell the chocolate in the air.

Ah, you beat me to it, just Googled and came up with our list of the same as well! It's Its are the best, especially chocolate mint! I haven't had one in years!
  • jdarch586
    jdarch586 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maryland here:
    • Crab Cakes
    • Pit Beef
    • Snowballs
    • Berger Cookies
    • Old Bay seasoning
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Pork pies, Stilton and Red Leicester cheeses all hail from my county.

My town still has a McVities biscuit and KP crisp plant, and Walkers crisps are not far away.

(Leicestershire, UK)
  • daltontf
    daltontf Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    St. Louis, MO:
    • Toasted Ravioli
    • Gooey Butter Cake
    • Provel Cheese on thin crust pizza
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    - Garbage Plates
    - White Hot Dogs
    - Jello (about 50 miles away)

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Staffordshire oatcake

q8lnyiifo7ti.jpeg
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Coffee, sourdough and beans. A cowboy could survive but there had to be more in his diet. A constant supply of sourdough biscuits with steaks and a good relationship with the chuckwagon 'cookie'.

jtfc3bflzte5.png
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Vegemite, Tim-Tams and lamingtons. Pretty easy to guess where I am from!

I see you and raise you a pavlova (the kiwi one that is!)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I'm from the the Wirral (UK) and a common local dish is "scouse" which is a ground beef stew with onions and potatoes and carrots, sometimes peas, and if you're nasty, corn. We have a nice Cheshire cheese named for a local county.

I thought it was commonly known that pasta was invented in China? Or is there some nuance over noodles and italian pasta?

I miss Liverpool!