Running and Muscle Gain?

Options
BethanyMemola
BethanyMemola Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone,

I’m 19 years old, and over the past 4 weeks I have been running 3 miles a day and eating around 1200-1300 calories a day, with maybe one rest day from running in between (the running is a new thing started 4 weeks ago). I’m also 5’2 and 130.0 pounds and I’m trying to get to 125. I stepped on the scale this morning, and I haven’t lost any weight. However, my clothes are baggier, I went down a pants size, and my before and after pictures look like I’ve lost 10 pounds. But when I step on the scale? Nothing. Why is this? I feel like running doesn’t build that much muscle, but I look smaller despite the scale not moving. I also heard that women don’t gain muscle as fast as men, so I’m wondering what is going on. Will the scale ever move? Let me know what you think. I’m trying to have patience this time.

Replies

• knightmagic
    knightmagic Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    your body can change very rapidly from stimulus. Running will create muscle especially if you just started a few weeks ago. I never did any real lifting until 7 months ago and in these 7 months i've added around 15lbs of muscle. Measure yourself now and continue what your doing. You may not have much fat to lose or your losing fat and adding muscle at the same time (body recomp) which is great! keep rocking!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    One thing about scales, mine has a "memory". Its a digital scale, and when I step on it will "remember" me from the day before and give me the same weight I was yesterday. "Oh, you again? Here's the number from yesterday in case you forgot...".

If I take out the batteries it resets and I get an accurate "new" reading. That might be what's happening with your unit too (if its a digital scale).

But if you are seeing changes and clothes are fitting better, than keep it up!
  • Daveybaseball
    Daveybaseball Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I’m 19 years old, and over the past 4 weeks I have been running 3 miles a day and eating around 1200-1300 calories a day, with maybe one rest day from running in between (the running is a new thing started 4 weeks ago). I’m also 5’2 and 130.0 pounds and I’m trying to get to 125. I stepped on the scale this morning, and I haven’t lost any weight. However, my clothes are baggier, I went down a pants size, and my before and after pictures look like I’ve lost 10 pounds. But when I step on the scale? Nothing. Why is this? I feel like running doesn’t build that much muscle, but I look smaller despite the scale not moving. I also heard that women don’t gain muscle as fast as men, so I’m wondering what is going on. Will the scale ever move? Let me know what you think. I’m trying to have patience this time.

Could be that u have just lost water weight or dropped inches off your waist. Sometimes those don’t show up numbers wise on a scale. Also if u have an app that can track your calories for when u run and workout that could be helpful. I use MapMyRide when I go for walks. The more your body burns in a day the more calories you can eat. Weight loss isn’t quick or an over night thing. When I lost the weight it took months. I didn’t notice any real changes in my weight until about 1-2 months in as its a slow process. Also weight tends to fluctuate up and down. Make sure u weigh yourself at the same time every time you do. Also having a couple rest days a week could be good as with everything especially exercises you want to make sure you don’t over do it. It is also important to make sure you eat enough and the right foods. A healthy mix of protein and fiber and vegetables can help. The great thing about most vegetables is they don’t make you gain much weight and you can eat a lot of them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Could be that u have just lost water weight or dropped inches off your waist. Sometimes those don’t show up numbers wise on a scale. Also if u have an app that can track your calories for when u run and workout that could be helpful. I use MapMyRide when I go for walks. The more your body burns in a day the more calories you can eat. Weight loss isn’t quick or an over night thing. When I lost the weight it took months. I didn’t notice any real changes in my weight until about 1-2 months in as its a slow process. Also weight tends to fluctuate up and down. Make sure u weigh yourself at the same time every time you do. Also having a couple rest days a week could be good as with everything especially exercises you want to make sure you don’t over do it. It is also important to make sure you eat enough and the right foods. A healthy mix of protein and fiber and vegetables can help. The great thing about most vegetables is they don’t make you gain much weight and you can eat a lot of them.

Losing water weight will absolutely show up on the scale. It's water *weight*.

Vegetables tend to be lower in calorie density so you can eat a higher volume of food for lower calories overall. But for someone losing weight, eating a "lot" of vegetables can still impact weight loss especially for people shooting for a lower deficit (like OP probably is).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    One thing about scales, mine has a "memory". Its a digital scale, and when I step on it will "remember" me from the day before and give me the same weight I was yesterday. "Oh, you again? Here's the number from yesterday in case you forgot...".

If I take out the batteries it resets and I get an accurate "new" reading. That might be what's happening with your unit too (if its a digital scale).

Is that a thing... scale memory?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Yes, it's a real thing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Yes. It's not unusual for electronic scales to "remember" a weight for a short period, so that if someone steps on/off the scale, tiny variations (errors) won't be obvious. (I'm sure you know that the precision of many is such that they'll tick up or down a little on an immediate re-weighing, which causes some people to lose confidence in the scale.) Typically, a dramatically different weight (as if a different person) will make it reset, so I've seen people say they take a dumbbell or something, and hold that on a subsequent weighing to get the scale to reset.

ETA: Not all scales work this way, just some.

I hadn't previously heard of them "remembering" for as much as 24 hours,though. I assume PP knows his scale's behavior, so not doubting him . . . just doubting that that's common.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes. It's not unusual for electronic scales to "remember" a weight for a short period, so that if someone steps on/off the scale, tiny variations (errors) won't be obvious. (I'm sure you know that the precision of many is such that they'll tick up or down a little on an immediate re-weighing, which causes some people to lose confidence in the scale.) Typically, a dramatically different weight (as if a different person) will make it reset, so I've seen people say they take a dumbbell or something, and hold that on a subsequent weighing to get the scale to reset.

I hadn't previously heard of them "remembering" for as much as 24 hours,though. I assume PP knows his scale's behavior, so not doubting him . . . just doubting that that's common.

My digital scale also remembers (at least for awhile). What I do is weigh myself, then tap the scale with my foot to reset it, rest my foot lightly on the scale until it registers a weight, then tap it to reset it and weigh myself again. Since there was an intervening weight that is not as much as I actually weigh, the result seems to be more consistent with my actual weight. I repeat this 2-3 times and then average the weights for my daily value. The numbers will vary because of variations in foot placement and wiggles while I am weighing, but the average seems to work consistently for me.

Oh, and to address the original question, as long as you are making progress with visible results, how important is the number on the scale? Lots of results (like getting slimmer) have nothing to do with the scale number and its random fluctuations.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It's hard to believe, but our bodies are still growing at 19 years of age. This is a very important thing to factor in. Good nutrition is essential, along with exercise, sleep, and many other factors to make for a healthy body and a great life.

Concerning running, muscle gain, and weight loss: I can imagine your relatively young body will respond very quickly to running. Your legs will gain mass and elsewhere will lose. The immediate changes are due to fluid retention (being "pumped up" in the leg area) just as @AnnPT77 says (she gives very good advice), but, as you keep training, you will see significant changes.

Consistency is the key, but I think it's really fun, even at my great age of 59yrs. Have a blast!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

My anecdotal experience is that my scale does remember at least 24 hours. I weigh myself each morning and if I hit the same weight for 4-5 days in a row, I'll grab something heavy and jump on the scale, then weigh myself again. My "new" weight is always different, which leads me to believe that my scale is retaining the previous weight and giving it to me again the next day when I'm within a certain tolerance.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options

When my last scale broke sometimes last year (probably not good to keep it in a humid bathroom without proper ventilation for years) it would remember a weight range! That was completely weird. I logged weight over two weeks and always ended up within the same 300gr each day. I found it odd and bought a new one. Then I got a whoosh, and still ended up there on the old scale, while the new one did go down. Do scales get alzheimer? Looks like it.