What foods were invented in your home city/country/region?

Options
124»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Enjoying reading answers but cannot even identify with concept of "home".

Born in Taiwan to mainland Chinese parents, immigrated to Canada where I grew up ages 4-18, moved to Europe after high school and worked between London and Paris until age 25 when I retired from modelling. Moved to Amsterdam to marry Dutch boyfriend ages 25-45. As a result of hostile takeover of the company I worked for, we moved back to London 10 years ago.

Culturally home is the Netherlands, but culinary taste is shaped by China.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Vegemite, Tim-Tams and lamingtons. Pretty easy to guess where I am from!

I'll add Milo, Anzac biscuits and
    Golden gaytime
  • TooDamnSweet
    TooDamnSweet Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Butter tarts...think pecan pie but a tart and with raisins, I make mine with maple syrup to be extra Canadian

I miss my great aunt's butter tarts (that side of my family is from about 1.5 hours north of Toronto).

Butter tarts really are the best thing ever

They were the first thing I made when we had to self isolate. 😊
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    NYC

Eggs Benedict - Waldorf Astoria
    Waldorf Salad - “”
    English muffins - Thomas Bakery
    Baked Alaska - Delmonico’s
    Rueben sandwich - Rueben deli
    Red Velvet Cake - Waldorf Astoria
    Manhattan Clam Chowder
    Coal oven pizza - Lombardi’s
    Cronut - Dominique Ansel bakery
    Chicken & waffles - Harlem, Wells Supper Club
    General Tso’s chicken - Pengs Chinatown
    Tootsie rolls - Hirschfeld bakery
    NY Egg Cream Soda - Ratner’s
    Oreos - national biscuit company (Chelsea)
    Frozen hot chocolate - Serendipity
    Bloody Mary - St Regis hotel
    Celery soda - Dr. Brown, LES
    Haagen Dazs ice cream - Brooklyn!
    Black & White cookies - Glaser’s bake shop
    Hot dogs with bun - Coney Island

I’m sure I’m missing other NYC 🗽 food inventions ... hmmm 🤔
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Aberdeen and shire, Scotland

Aberdeen Angus Beef (hmmm steak),
    Macaroni pie,
    Cullen Skink (gads!),
    Deep fried mars bars (gads),
    Sticky toffee pudding (Possibly. My go to pud, if a restaurant doesn't have this on the menu it's not worthing going to imho),
    and my all time favourite type of bread *drum roll*: Rowies! (or butteries, salty buttery flat bread).

Could go a rowie right now, wi lashins o' butter! :P~ slaverin!
    Need to visit home more.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    Caesars!!!! The no guilt alcohol drink because you're basically drinking a salad with some vodka 😉

And because I'm originally from Vancouver Island, Nanaimo bars, of course. It wouldn't be Christmas if we didn't have Nanaimo bars and butter tarts.

• Anahita4444
    Anahita4444 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ireland

Boxty: a potato potato pancake type thing

Coddle: A stew with all the sausages, rashers (bacon) and spuds (potatoes) left over from the week - mostly a Dublin thing

Concannon: Irish mashed potatoes with green cabbage and scallions

Irish Stew: Traditionally made with cheaper cuts of meat, lamb and veg and of course SPUDS

Bacon and Cabbage: Here's where things get funny. Americans (mostly) think Irish people eat Corned Beef and Cabbage and then ask for it when they come to visit. People in Ireland don't call it that. Here, it's called Bacon and Cabbage and it's very much a 'eat this in your mum's house' type of meal and not something one might order for dinner out. Tourist-centric restaurants in Dublin might serve it but not many other real restaurants do.

Soda Bread (Also called brown bread): A bread that many people still make at home today with many family recipes.

Barmbrack: Enthusiasts make this fruity tea loaf all year round, serving it smothered in butter with a cup of tea in the afternoon. It’s at Halloween, however, that you’d find a charm in your slice foretelling the future: a rag foreshadowed bad luck or poverty; a ring meant you'd be wed within a year; a pea that you wouldn't be wed in the coming year; a coin brought wealth; and a stick foretold quarrels. Raisins, candied peel (sometimes steeped overnight in black tea and whiskey) and mixed spice all go into the mix.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Ireland

Bacon and Cabbage: Here's where things get funny. Americans (mostly) think Irish people eat Corned Beef and Cabbage and then ask for it when they come to visit. People in Ireland don't call it that. Here, it's called Bacon and Cabbage and it's very much a 'eat this in your mum's house' type of meal and not something one might order for dinner out. Tourist-centric restaurants in Dublin might serve it but not many other real restaurants do.

Fun fact: you can blame the immigrant neighborhoods in US cities, especially New York, for the corned beef thing. Irish immigrants were living cheek-by-jowl with Jewish immigrants in the slums. They found that the corned beef briskets they could buy from Kosher butchers were really close to the briskets they would get for a special meal back home so it became a regular thing, so much so that now we think of corned beef as Irish for St. Patrick's Day instead of Kosher (unless you are in a Jewish deli getting a sandwich).

• eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I am currently in Malaysia - home of Nasi Lemak.

Previously I have also lived in Almaty, in Kazakstan, known as "Alma-Ata" translates as "alma = apple" and "ata- means father". So while in Alma-ata, people there told me it was the original birthplace of apples for the world. They seem very proud of that. The apples grow wildly on "Tien Shan" - a mountain range which connects to the Himalayas. The other thing I saw growing wildly there - right in town too - was pot. Lots of it, especially on "Kok Tobe" which directly translates to green hill.

I don't think Apple Pie came from Kazakhstan, but according to the Kazakhs - it's the birthplace of the apple!