If you have kids....this is way off topic but thought I woul

Options
mmuzzatti
mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
OK, so last night at dinner we talked about kids and what they eat. Since I don't know any of you I can ask this. Do you have kids that only eat certain things or do you have kids that will try something before they say they don't like it or like it. Here's what happened...we had friends over for the weekend and they had their son with them. He is around 13 or 14 anyway, during dinner he ate nothing...we had pasta and salad and general food like that. After dinner the father took his son to Subway to get him something to eat because he did not like anything we had. I was a little pissed that this kid can control his parents that way. I let it go but I just am wondering if you out there have kids like that and am I wrong in thinking that this is wrong? My kids always tried what we had and to this day nothing you can put on the table will they turn away....maybe it's just me being my anal self but hey I thought I would ask.

OK, have a great day....just a rant to see who replies...take care!

Marcello

Replies

• katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    My kids are 3 and 5, and if it's something new that they have never had before, I make them eat one bite. If they truly don't like it I will get them something else. Most of the time they like it though. And if it's something they like and decided they don't want to eat it, they go hungry. At 13, they better damn well eat what I put in front of them or they will go hungry.
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It must have been very annoying for you. I have a fussy eater. She only eats "white food", i.e. potatoes, fish fingers, pasta, cheese, etc. She will not eat salads, vegetables apart from carrots. She is now 10 yrs old and weights in at around 4st. Not a healthy weight at all. We have struggled with this since she was about 2 yrs old. If we are going to friends/family for dinner, I explain her diet and offer to take food with me that she will eat that way no offence is caused.
  • corieueber
    corieueber Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't be driving him to subway to get something to eat - my boys are encouraged to try what's on their plate,as long as they have had at least one bite they have the choice of a simple sandwich (peanut butter etc), but luckily they are pretty good and will give just about everything a try.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there are kids who can control their parents. I don't have kids, but have foster siblings. My rule and my moms is that if you don't eat your food, you don't get desert. There are some one their first day who ask for a substitution, so it's a learned behavior.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Our boys will try anything and I mean anything, snails, octopus, goat etc. We have raised them to be open-minded and they are now copying my choices because they have not been forced into them. Our 11 year old boy now has cauliflower rice with his chilli and they both love rice-cakes and banana for a snack instead of crisps.

I am now a sahm but when they were small I worked nights and didn't have time to panda to fussy tastes. My sons friend is very fussy (at his own home) when my son went for a meal there this boy freaked out because his mum put a drop of gravy on his mash and refused to eat the meal. When he comes here for a meal he eats what he is given...because he knows I won't offer an alternative..hunger is a great motivator to a teenage belly.

So I agree with you and I would not give in to a child like that and had it been my son I would have been embarrassed and he would have gone hungry.

martyxxx
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    My mum lives in France and last year when my brother and his family visited her, his daughter who is 12 kicked up such a tantrum as she didnt like the food my mum prepared he drove her 80 miles to the nearest mcdonalds, i could not believe it, I would put my foot down, surely there is something the child would eat, i think some parents are too soft x
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Our boys are 16 months, 28 months and 4.5 yrs old. Our 2 little ones are in the picky phase, but I do put on their plates what rest are eating. Our 4.5 yr old must try what I make. I try not to make a big deal of it. I don't want them to have a bad relatiohship with food.

I would NOT be taking a 13 yr old to subway because he didn't eat at our friends house. He can wait till we get home.
  • cassiopeia1975
    Options
    i have 4 children, my son is 15, eldest daughter is13 and younger daughters are 5yrs(twins) and a step son of 15 as well.

My 15 & 13 year olds will eat just about anything and love fruit veg salad etc their favorite meal is a sunday roast,

the younger two will eat any fruit and veg but are a bit picky with meat -- will only eat chicken, and they dont like things with sauce or gravy, they love rice but wont touch pasta no idea why im hoping they grow out of it.

My 15 yr old step son has a big appetite (he is 6ft 4 though) but doesnt eat vegetables except carrots and sweetcorn.

i normally cook two meals a day one for the younger ones as they eat earlier and then one for the older children and my partner & i, except on a sunday when we all eat together.

if im going to a friends for dinner with the younger ones then i usually take a selection of fruit and cheese and crackers & nuts with me so if they dont eat much of whatever is being made for them they have healthy things to snck on until i can get them something else. but the older ones either eat it or go hungry! I wouldnt take them to Subway or anywhere else for that matter, they could wait til we got home and then have a sandwich.
  • sarahpittaway
    Options
    I got five and they are all fussy to different foods but since I have changed my food and lifestyle in general they now eat what they are given or wait till their next meal. I have switched from Low-fat milk to soya milk and from full fat butter to Pure Soya butter. I do not buy much frozen foods like Pizzas, nuggets and fish fingers. I make my own pizzas for them and well as make my own cakes . They have some choices but only healthy ones . It has worked on four of my children and they too correct me when I do have some sugary treat. Only one is fighting me by not eating. She will not have milk or butter but will have yogurts and other milk dairy products . It was because I eat fast food when my mother worked all day that I became fat and even fatter when I had the freedom to eat what I like when I left home. I am trying to teach them healthier choices as well as eating regularly and not late at night. Its done in school so why can we not do it at home. It is not a crime to be firm. They will come when they are truly hungry. We must all learn real hunger or we will just EAT ALL DAY cause we can unlike third world nations.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, when it come to food and food choices, caving in to a kids demands is a sure fire way to create an eating disorder/ bad habits which will plague them in later life.
  • orleansmith
    orleansmith Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it's sad. My cousin has a 3 year old and she had never had fresh fruit or veggies until they stayed with grandma while my cousin's husband was overseas. And the whole time, my cousin would say things like, "oh she won't eat that" and she only meant that SHE doesn't like it so her daughter has never had the chance to try it. But after seeing her mom not try things and SAY she won't like it, the little girl refuses to try anything!

On the other hand, my sister is very picky about what she eats but she and her husband give the kids all kind of different things to try and they love healthy stuff. My nephew is 2.5 years old and he gets to choose what he wants if we go out to eat and it's usually something good
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My kids were never fussy eaters, but that is because the house rule was try it. I understand that not everyone likes everything... I don't eat Cheerios... can't bear the smell of them... lol ... that being said, I wouldn't let it bother me about your friend's son. He is their problem. They created the monster and now they have to deal with the issues, i.e. going to subway because he wouldn't eat your dinner. 13 is a difficult age anyway.. raging hormones and all that. I would just let it go if I were you... so many more important things to stress over!
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's tricky. I have 2 girls, 11 & 9. My 11 year old is willing to try anything and likes most everything she tries. My 9 year old will not. They were created by and raised by the same two parents will very different results.

However, in a situation like yours, I would have prepared & brought something I knew my 9 year old would eat. Perhaps I would have offered to bring beans to add to the meal. I also would have told you ahead of time (so you wouldn't be surprised NOT so you would change your menu).

Having a fussy-eater myself, I can see why the dad took the boy to get something to eat. After about the age of 3 you cannot force anything into a child's mouth. You can encourage, threaten, bribe, whatever, but it can snowball into a power struggle that the child will win or a child protective services case. And hungry children are more likely to act out and further ruin the evening.

As a parent I continue to cook new foods and offer them to her and every now & then she does try something new & likes it. I'm hopeful that as she realizes new things can be good, there will be more & more of those moments.

I hope I could shed a little light from the picky-eater's parents' side. They did not mean to offend you & were very likely embarrassed.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    All the kids in our family have a 2 bite rule with new foods (1 to try it, 1 to decide if they like it). Each of them has their own pickiness (no green veggies, or nothing on a bone, no egg yolk, etc), but overall they eat 3/4th of all food (even sushi, quinoa-spelling?, etc.).

It definitely is on the parents to encourage trying new things, and 13 is a bit old for this behavior BUT good for them that subway was his choice and not McD or something worse. I have worked with kids who only eat fast food/french fries, noodles with ketchup and white bread with nutella. Every day. No joke.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I must be the meanest mom around, I cook all my food fresh and the Twins of 4 and my 12 year old must eat what I have cooked or they go hungry. My home is not a hotel nor am I a short order cook. They may choose their breakfast and their lunch, but that is as nice as I get.

Our little one(22) has a bit more choice, but always on my terms.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    A lot of kids are naturally picky. Mine are. But I insist that they try new foods before saying they don't like them. I think it's ridiculous to let a child that old be such a baby about food, and then to cave like that and take him out to eat when there's plenty of good food right in front of him.

The only exception I can think of, though, is if this child has legitimate problem like food allergies or a sensory issue. But if that were the case, I'm sure the parents would have explained that to you.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    my eldest and my youngest are good eaters and will try most things, but my middle son is very fussy and a lot of things he point blank refuses to even try.

If he doesnt eat what i make the others, he can have bread and butter. I wouldnt make or buy something different, although i will usually try and plan meals that they all like
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids- 6, 4 and 3. My husband and I were raised to eat what ever was on our plate. Food is not cheap and that's what we've taught and we're still teaching our kids. I personally think it's up to the parents to teach their kids to broaden their taste buds. My oldest wanted to bring his lunch to school, but in order for him to try new things..he needs to eat at school. We just don't believe in picky eaters. Now if it's something completely new to my kids they'll have a small amount on their plate. We also aren't the type of parents to make a separate trip somewhere because our children doesn't like something. This of course doesn't include children who have allergies, in this case..I would let the host know so they won't be offended and I would bring my child's "special" food (my youngest is allergic to peanuts, so I understand that).
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    My rule and the rule my children have adopted with my grandchildren is that you have to at least try the food. If you try it and do not like it that is different than just saying I do not like. We have all learn to try and most of the time like new foods. There are still somethings like green olives that I have tried several times over the years and do not like. Secondly, I would never be that rude at someone's home. The kid was old enough to leave home if that was the case. Shame on those parents for being so rude.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I must be the meanest mom around, I cook all my food fresh and the Twins of 4 and my 12 year old must eat what I have cooked or they go hungry. My home is not a hotel nor am I a short order cook. They may choose their breakfast and their lunch, but that is as nice as I get.

Our little one(22) has a bit more choice, but always on my terms.

Way to go mom!