Calories or protein?

Options
Which should I focus on more? I have been consistently staying under my daily allowance for calories each day. I keep hearing that I won’t be able to build muscle or lose fat without getting enough protein. Today I was feeling fully satisfied and was a 700 calorie deficit but when I looked at my protein I was 32gram under what I needed. So do I eat more protein while still staying within my calories? Or is it best to be at a bigger calorie deficit and not get my recommend protein?

Replies

• Maggiesanvicto
    Maggiesanvicto Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I’m 194.5 and 5”9. Trying to lose 2lbs per week but wanting to build muscle. Normally I would be doing gym workouts using machines and free weights,focusing on 1 muscle each session. My city is on lockdown though so all gyms are closed. I’m doing at home HIIT off youtube and some home weightlifting,dumbbells and resistance band workouts.
  • Maggiesanvicto
    Options
    :) Thanks for the advice! I’ll look into those vids
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,518 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you set a 2lbs per week deficit and then stay below what MFP gives you? You should at least eat what MFP gives you, and then some for working out. Don't go on a crash diet as you'll burn muscles instead of fat and then you'll burn out eventually.
  • Maggiesanvicto
    Options
    I just switched it to 1lb per week.I always eat my daily recommendation but not the extra calories earned from working out. Should I be eating my workout calories as well?
  • YvonneAbdi
    YvonneAbdi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Keep a small calorie deficit if you want to lose fat. Glad you're eating protein. You need to get protein.
  • Maggiesanvicto
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • regggo
    regggo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I met with a nutrition coach/ CrossFit trainer yesterday and he helped me set all my macros, he told me it’s okay of be off my calories by 5% each way, to ALWAYS hit my protein, it’s okay to go a little over on fats, and don’t go over on my carbs. Here is my current stats, I’m kind of in the same boat, trying to lose weight and gained muscle

I’m 5,4 and started about 6 days ago at about 140, current weight 136

Week 1
    Calories 1654
    Protein 145
    Carbs 183
    Fats 42
  • Maggiesanvicto
    Options
    Thanks! I seem to go over fats and carbs every day...it’s usually always healthy fats though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I just switched it to 1lb per week. I always eat my daily recommendation but not the extra calories earned from working out. Should I be eating my workout calories as well?

Yes, assuming you are logging your food and exercise accurately.

How long have you been at this? If at least a month, are you losing as fast, faster, or not as fast as you expected?

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • LJRS2019
    LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How are you supposed to lose 2lb of weight but build muscle?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    LJRS2019 wrote: »
    How are you supposed to lose 2lb of weight but build muscle?

Perhaps your goal during weight loss should be to preserve muscle. You do this by strength training.

Did you mean 2 pounds total, or 2 pounds per week? For many people, 2 #/wk is an overly aggressive goal.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • Maggiesanvicto
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies....didn’t mean to cause such a debate! I guess being new to all this will have be an experience in trial and error....especially with my goal setting and expectations. I think when I said build muscle I really meant tone or definition...which I assume will only come with strength training and that with less fat around my muscles they will look more defined. I originally was worried that I wouldn’t loose weight if I didn’t have a high calorie deficit...and that i was lowering my deficit by eating more in order to get enough protein. I do think speaking to a registered dietitian would be great but I also value the opinions of people in the fitness industry or those who have been diligent in their research on their journey to achieving their fitness goals. I know it’s ultimately my responsibility to make sure to fact check the advice I’m given to make sure it is safe for me.Thanks again to everyone for their help!
  • LJRS2019
    LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    regggo wrote: »
    I met with a nutrition coach/ CrossFit trainer yesterday and he helped me set all my macros, he told me it’s okay of be off my calories by 5% each way, to ALWAYS hit my protein, it’s okay to go a little over on fats, and don’t go over on my carbs. Here is my current stats, I’m kind of in the same boat, trying to lose weight and gained muscle

I’m 5,4 and started about 6 days ago at about 140, current weight 136

Week 1
    Calories 1654
    Protein 145
    Carbs 183
    Fats 42

OK so your maintenance is 1654 cals then? If not, How are you supposed to lose weight AND gain muscle? Surely both are different processes and therefore require different calorie amounts?