Women over 40- Let's lose 20 pounds!

Hello!
I've been on and off MFP and WW for many years and just started on MFP again 13 days ago. It was much easier to lose weight in my 20s! I would love to trade ideas, encouragement, low calorie meals, exercise plans, whatever and also weigh in daily or weekly. So here are my stats:
Starting Weight on
3/28- 160lbs
4/4- 159
4/11- It's not looking good but we'll see!

I have been running (okay jogging), doing Les Mills workouts- Body Pump, Body Combat and a HIIT one that I forgot the name of. I am sore every day! I have been tracking everything for 1,200 calories (I do eat my workout calories). I manually enter the workouts but I have noticed that my fitbit has been adjusting calories, but I ignore that because I don't know how that works with manually entering workouts and then having Fitbit? It is never a big adjustment anyway.

I would love any advice or just looking to see how everyone else is doing!

Replies

• SherryCook2
    SherryCook2 Posts: 8 Member
    Hello!
    42 years old 5'6" and currently 163 lbs. Started Febuary at 180 with a goal of 140 hopefully by June....fingers crossed.
    I LOVE body combat, that is what I Do on my days off. I struggle with getting workouts in on days that I work as I commute and hour and a half there and back. Add an 8 hour workday and time is just sucked away. Right now I a average around 1200 to 1300 a day as well and only treat myself when the calories allow.
  • gela130
    gela130 Posts: 50 Member
    Yay! I feel a great network developing here:) are you talking t25 from beachbody? If it is the program I am thinking of it is super tough! That is awesome that you got workout one in the books! You are right about working out with the little ones around- an extra degree of difficulty for sure! How is your weather? We just made a return to winter for the whole week here in omaha- ugh! Getting outside will be helpful too. Well, i look forward to our days ahead and fighting the good fight together:)
  • SherryCook2
    @gela130 I have found it easier to track this time around. Just made a commitment to myself to track everything with the understanding that it is just food and it is all ok. By logging my food before I eat helps keep me on track. Makes it easier for me to say no to anything that would put me over before I eat it.
  • donnamharris2014
    donnamharris2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the friend invite guys, I feel so supported already and am still trying to find my way around MFP.

So I downloaded the free months premium to see if it was worth it. When tracking my food yesterday I realised that my major calorie intake is through snacks (the premium package had a nice little pie chart) - not surprising really - but what shocked me was exactly how much more calories. If I can change to healthier (easy to grab) snacks I think I might just manage this - any suggestions?

@gela130 the weather in England is actually pretty nice right now but we are in lockdown and are only allowed out to exercise once a day. For me that means taking the kids for a walk and play so not really good enough exercise as such but much better than nothing. Today is going to be tough to get the T25 session in due to other stuff but I WILL DO IT - I can't fail on day 2 - that's would just be ridiculous ;)

Nice tip @SherryCook2

Another day, another lb to loose :smiley:
  • SherryCook2
    I used to snack a lot during my commute. I am so busy during the day that I often dont take a lunch. My first oppertunity to was on the drive home and I was making some pretty crappy choices out of hunger. Now I make sure to bring a baggie of grapes with me. They are cold and sweet and refreshing. Plus they have a low calorie density so I am satisfied until I get home and have time to make better choices for dinner.
  • subbi123
    subbi123 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi!
  • subbi123
    subbi123 Posts: 4 Member
    So pleased to have found this thread!

I am 41 years old, 5’ 4” and just turned 200 pounds- the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I work full time with children and use this as an excuse to not eat healthy and not exercise.

I really need to get a grip on my life!
    Any support will be great!
    Cheers everyone!
  • donnamharris2014
    Hello everyone, it looks like we have a great bunch here. So today for the first time in YEARS I managed to stay within my calorie allowance - whoop whoop. I slotted in my 2nd Beachbody T25 day (speed 1.0) and it actually wasn't that bad. I cannot believe that just one day of exercise loosened me up so much that I actually enjoyed today's workout! I've planned to record the entire first week of workouts so that I can look back after 10 weeks and see how much I struggled in a sort of before and after thing - hopefully I won't be struggling after 10weeks!

I even menu planned with my husband tonight and he was actually able to get everything in the supermarket - the supermarket shelves here have been pretty low due to panic buying! Just need to avoid eating quite so much easter chocolate.

My problem now is how the heck do I get my 21month old to go to bed... he didnt go down till 10pm tonight, I think lockdown is affecting him too 😟
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Hello everyone, it looks like we have a great bunch here. So today for the first time in YEARS I managed to stay within my calorie allowance - whoop whoop. I slotted in my 2nd Beachbody T25 day (speed 1.0) and it actually wasn't that bad. I cannot believe that just one day of exercise loosened me up so much that I actually enjoyed today's workout! I've planned to record the entire first week of workouts so that I can look back after 10 weeks and see how much I struggled in a sort of before and after thing - hopefully I won't be struggling after 10weeks!

I even menu planned with my husband tonight and he was actually able to get everything in the supermarket - the supermarket shelves here have been pretty low due to panic buying! Just need to avoid eating quite so much easter chocolate.

My problem now is how the heck do I get my 21month old to go to bed... he didnt go down till 10pm tonight, I think lockdown is affecting him too 😟

Great job! It’s amazing how a workout can change your whole outlook!
  • donnamharris2014
    I really can't figure out how to work MFP - how do you send a friend request?
  • gela130
    gela130 Posts: 50 Member
    I have to agree that adding friends is a bit awkward! I just keep clicking on the username until I get to an area where it gives the option to add friends- but it is pretty wonky and I always wonder if my request gets thru??

Pedmom- love your post! Such great work! Nice to see success at different stages. I love it:)

Subbi123- you got this! Working full time with a family is madness- great and wonderful madness but still madness:) hang in there and keep trying until you figure out what works for you- we are all here because this isnt easy!

Donnam- love, love your idea of filming your workouts- what a great way to gauge your progress. You inspired me to start a beachbody workout- did #1 of the 100 morning series! Yay! Great work staying under your goal- Huge victory!!!!

I love feeling like we are in this together❤😊
  • PedmomJill
    @gela130 -thank you for the warm welcome! Speaking of the awkwardness of adding friends-sometimes I feel like I'm on Match here instead of MFP lol. I have two requests from men and I have no idea who they are. I haven't had any interaction on the boards with them that I can see. No thank you! And I agree with @sherrycook2 - I try to put all my food in MFP before I eat anything, to make sure I'm making the best choices. I have been doing IF for about 2 months now and it works well for me. I never ate breakfast early anyway, so now it's just a more formal choice. The night time was a bigger change for me, My eating window is 11am-7pm.

@donnamharris2014 -It does take a bit to learn how to navigate around here, that's for sure. I just had to look up how to save a meal because I forgot again ha ha. And I can't even imagine the struggle of trying to work from home with two small children. Snacks are tough sometimes. The obvious answer is fruit and veggies but I know that gets old, too. How about buying some lower fat/cal crackers and having those? I am a cheapskate and don't buy prepackaged stuff like that-I will buy the big box and then put servings into small baggies so I'm not worrying about having to weight or measure every time I want it.

@italysharon -Thank you for starting this group! It's been a long time since I've been involved in a daily check in like this and I've missed it. It's so helpful to me. I LOVE Body Pump! I tried the free trial but didn't really love the instructors, and it wasn't like the ones I've been in when I belonged to a gym. I decided to join Beachbody on Demand instead and really love it. But I do sometimes miss the BP workouts and the great music they always played.

@crumbsinmybutter -LOL @ cheesecake for lunch being a sign. I think you may be right. That said, we've all been there or we wouldn't be HERE :). I hope you can find a way to exercise at home for now since gyms are closed.

@subbi123 -Nice to meet you :) It seems like a lot of people are in the same boat-stressed out with the current worldwide situation and trying not to turn to food. This group will help us all I think.

A little more about me-I work from home like a lot of you, but I have worked from home for many years. So I work from home and exercise at home every day-so not much has changed for me. I am missing things like my weekly walking book club though (we walk 2 miles and then discuss a few chapters of the current book).

I have been divorced for a long time, and have chosen to remain single. I have a 27 year old son that is disabled (physically typical, but on the Autism spectrum). He requires a lot of my time and energy, and I wouldn't have it any other way. His dad and I, who is a great friend, share guardianship and each have him 50% of the time. It works well. I have an older son who is 30 (good god I don't know how that's possible!) and I have a granddaughter that will turn a year old on May 17th. LOOOOOVE her so much! Trust me, you don't know how amazing it is to have a grandchild until you have one lol. But I'm missing her so much. I haven't seen her since mid-February and it's killing me. We couldn't get together for a bit after that (they live about a 90 minute drive from me) and then I went on vacation to Mexico. I came back on 03/21, the day before the US international flight border was closed. Whew. But we've been under quarantine since then. Thank goodness for Facetime!

Okay, no more procrastinating. I've "talked" your ears off long enough. It's noon here which means it's time for my workout. Today is day 23 of 80 Day Obsession and dreaded cardio. Give me the metal any day over cardio!

Take care all
    Jill

• Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Hey ladies, tripping over a rock in here a bit late but I'd love to be a cheerleader too!
    I'm trying to loose 40lbs and I'm 5'1 inches.
    Right now my brady bunch is home due to Covid-19 , myself included ( I work in Education) so it's been really difficult to not eat the meals I'm cooking ( the good bits).
    For exercise I really enjoy walking/ jogging. I love step aerobics but no classes being held right now. If I get desperate I try Leslie Sansome (sp) on youtube. I'm not consistent but I try.

Go ladies Go! You got this!
  • PedmomJill
    @Nsdnjbl - have you heard of Cathe Friedrich? She is awesome. She has a bunch of free videos on her gym's Facebook page. She's also doing free live workouts several times a day through Facebook. The gym's name is Four Seasons Health Club. I'll post a link here but I'm not sure if it will work. :)https://www.facebook.com/FourSeasonsHealthClub/