Consistent weight gain with exercise :(

Options
Hello all,

We are into the 4th week of lockdown in the UK and I’ve decided to focus this extra time on exercising.

I used to be super fit and weighed 138-140lbs (I’m 5’8) but after an injury in 2018 I never quite got back in the game.
Over Christmas I went up to 154lbs which is super heavy for me, and didn’t get back in to exercise, because of a death in the family, a near flooded house and financial stresses!
Just before we went in to lockdown I re-joined a gym, but wasn’t taking it that seriously.

So about 4 weeks ago, I started walking everyday, usually for 1 hour, plus added home workouts (mostly Jillian Michaels) to try and get back in shape. I’m currently walking for about 1 hour 7 days a week and doing one of her videos 4-5 (45 mins) times a week but I’m not noticing a single change.

My starting weight was 149, then 152, then 154, and now 154 and 3/4. I’ve never been this heavy in my life.
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, yes my diet isn’t perfect, but I’m eating significantly less than I was.
I’ve also lost my job due to corona virus, could stress be a factor? Or should I just throw my scales in the bin?

Even over Easter, I was not eating enough chocolate to create such a huge weight gain.

Thanks.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear.
    Are you counting calories and using a food scale?
  • catherine852020
    catherine852020 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To a certain extent, but not religiously due to the stress of everything going on. But I’m certainly not eating more.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,423 Member
    Options
    There are two reasons why you gain weight:
    * Water weight due to new exercise, or being at that time of the month
    * eating more than you think

If you've been doing the same workouts for at least 2-3 weeks and your weight still goes up then it's clearly the second. Unless you're getting your menstruation, and right away again, and then again without giving your body to get rid of the excess water weight <3
  • catherine852020
    Options
    I’m going to really watch my food this week and see if it makes a difference. I just don’t understand the big jump, if it was 1 or 2lbs maybe. I just normally feel a bit better round the middle at this point, even if I’ve had a few treats. I feel exactly the same, apart from the fact I can do a couple of extra moves. Thanks. :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,423 Member
    Options
    Hi Cathrine, don't just watch your food but log it on a foodscale. It's so easy to underestimate. If everything you are was just 100 calories off (it's so easy, especially for fatty food) then you'd have 300-400 calories more per day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To a certain extent, but not religiously due to the stress of everything going on. But I’m certainly not eating more.

You'd be surprised. You need to measure & weigh every morsel that passes your lips to have any kind of certainty as to your intake. It's been demonstrated time and again that we have a tendency to underestimate our consumption if we're just eyeballing the portion sizes.
  • catherine852020
    Options
    You are all so right, I will really track my food accurately this week and see if it makes a difference. I think it’s because I know for a fact I, eating less (especially as we are restricted with what we can buy) compared to a few months ago, yet the weight gain is higher. Thanks for your input. :)
  • catherine852020
    Options

Thanks so much for this!

,Stress levels: Increased stress = water retention and with water retention comes a spike in scale weight.
    Sleep: Poor sleep can also increase stress levels = water retention = weight increase on the scale’

I’ve been so stressed today because my cat had to go to the vet, she’s fine. Also haven been sleeping well. I think I’m going to make my boyfriend hide the scale. It’s probably in need of a battery change anyway. Thank you!
  • justinejacksonm
    justinejacksonm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've found the same to be true that if I have been off track for a while it was starting over again the first week or so I blowing up like a balloon. Not sure why but it really seems consistent. It could also be that you're getting used to your walks. In the beginning may be challenging but you keep doing it your body adjusts and you need to work harder. I've been taking really long walks with my boyfriend a few days a week and that doesn't really seem to be doing much anymore so I finally had to make a choice to start taking advantage of all this time off and really push myself again. Stress is definitely a factor. I've posted questions about this in the past and couldn't really get concise answers but I'm just saying if your body is in a stressed-out state it's going to be harder to lose weight. what kind of foods are you eating are they really salty? unless you do enough of a workout where you're sweating off a lot of excess water ( in which low-impact walking really won't) if you keep your salt intake high you'll stay bloated. Reason number two why I finally realized I need to get my butt in gear. Long walks are good at all but I really need to be breaking a sweat, a good one, several times a week so enter hard cardio and HIIT workouts.

DEFINITELY MIX IT UP.

what always works for me is doing a nice healthy blend of various fitness blender videos and alternating with long walks shorter runs or doing intervals of walking and running. Intermittent fasting is helpful even if you're not fasting if you pick a day where you can deal with eating a lot less those are the days by 10 to do the really long slow workouts like 7 Mile walks because the exertion won't kill you on an empty stomach because it's so low impact for such a long time you're more likely to burn fat instead of muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You'd be surprised...especially with additional stress. This is likely your issue. Exercise doesn't default to weight loss...weight management in general is best controlled with calories coming in.
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Calories are essential. Count them, weigh food, measure portions, etc. then track everything. Add in a lot of water. I’m guessing you will see a change in the scale and see where you have been taking in too many calories.
  • catherine852020
    Options
    Coming up to nearly a week since I posted this. I’ve been controlling calories more, and trying to be strict. I went on the scales this morning, and I’ve put on another pound. I decided to measure myself instead, according to Fitbit I clocked 10 hours of exercise last week, including walking, circuit training and yoga. I’ve put an inch on my hips and my waist.

I’m now heavier, and wider than I have ever been in my life. I don’t know what to do, I’m sitting on my bed crying. I’m working so hard.
  • subject129
    subject129 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay what some people are not mentioning is that MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THEN FAT. You could be gaining muscle & in which case watch your measurements because that will tell you if you're gaining muscle or gaining weight. If you're gaining muscle, your measurements will go down BUT your weight will go up. If you're gaining fat then both your measurements & your weight will go up in which case you'll want to count calories while increasing your protein intake & lowering your carb intake. Also yes, stress influences your weight massively, so does lack of sleep, during exam period I'm extra strict with calories & I still gain weight. I know it's hard but try to not stress about it. I've been plateaued for a long time & it's driving me crazy, but stressing is not helping either of us.
  • vivjas
    vivjas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the same boat
    Really working hard at exercising everyday
    Even been in the 7day slimfast plan
    Still nothing
    I’ve checked my ketone levels, they are ok
    Then checked ph levels which I’ve found are extremely high
    So I’ve now cut bread, dairy oil
    To see if I can find a difference this week
    I’ll keep you posted
    Don’t give up, it could be anything as simple
    As an allergy
    Viv
  • catherine852020
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. It’s not possible as a female to put on as much muscle as the scale is saying, also I would have hoped after a month my body might look a tiny bit different. Maybe it’s my age, and my metabolism is slowing down.

I’ll try and keep going, it’s very hard not to just give up though. :(
  • catherine852020
    Options
    I have been lifting weights, but I know it’s not muscle, my body feels exactly the same.