Consistent weight gain with exercise :(

Options
2»

Replies

• djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Walking is good but will take up a lot of time . Can you try a weighted rucksack, this will up the intensity -
    start at 10% body mass.
    Exercise can make you hungry.
  • catherine852020
    catherine852020 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I stopped all exercise (apart from walking) and watched my food intake and lost 3lbs! Missing exercise though, so I’m back on it. I might throw my scales out.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Same boat here, my mid section is just hanging on for dear life and scale #’s are too. Did a bit of research : cortisol (stress) sucks, food weighing is essential (what seems like a tiny amount of granola is actually 300 cals !?), sugar and salt cause even more water weight, gotta keep upping the ante with activity so your body is challenged, and to burn fat takes approx 20 mins of elevated heart rate, rather than just movement (good to do at least 3-5 x per week). Oh what we have in our daily diet may make a difference for many reasons.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I’ve put a new battery in my scales and I’ve lost a pound and a half, so at least that’s something. But still, a long way to go, here’s to measuring everything that passes my lips!

Good show!

Really, sometimes at first the scale fluctuations can be kind of crazy. Stick with it for - eeks - a few weeks. You're on the right track!
  • oliviajohn1
    oliviajohn1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had this problem but it was more that my weight wasn’t going down and was staying consistent for weeks before decreasing a few pounds. Maybe try and take photos and see if your body is changing? The most useful thing I did was buy scales that measure body fat, muscle and all of that (forgot what it’s called😂). It’s really an eye opener to see all of those figures and I’ve noticed that my fat is decreasing and muscle is increasing even if the scale is hardly budging!
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    yirara - hate to tell you this bud, but walking does build muscle, and muscle does weight more than fat, how much depends on OPs genetics. While OPs weight gain is more likely caused by not paying enough attention to food and eating more than she thinks, some of it will be from the amount of walking she is doing.

OP maybe try lowering the calories you replace for the amount of exercise you are doing, fitbit and other trackers aren't built with women in mind (I believe the software is based on an 'average' bloke) and may not be showing you a true representation for you. Once you've got your food tracking sorted, if you're still gaining more weight than you'd expect (muscle gain is a slow weight gain you shouldn't see lbs in a week unless you're training to be the next Thor), then try dropping your daily calorie intake by a small amount over a week, say 10-20 calories a day, and see if that makes a difference.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    owieprone wrote: »
    yirara - hate to tell you this bud, but walking does build muscle, and muscle does weight more than fat, how much depends on OPs genetics. While OPs weight gain is more likely caused by not paying enough attention to food and eating more than she thinks, some of it will be from the amount of walking she is doing.

@owieprone These forums are quite evidence-based as there's so much quack around and people need clear, correct information to lose weight. Can you please show some research that walking can indeed build 5lbs of muscle in a woman and how long that would take? And as you're at it, also please demonstrate that 5lbs of muscle weighs more than 5lbs of fat.

• catherine852020
    catherine852020 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I’m a regular walker, so I’m not sure it would build that much muscle.

I’m back to workouts and counting calories, although I’m finding myself to be ravenous! I’m also approaching my mid 30s and I’m not overweight for my height so maybe these are factors. It’s just so frustrating I’ve never moved as much in my life, and I feel fatter than ever.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    owieprone wrote: »

OP maybe try lowering the calories you replace for the amount of exercise you are doing, fitbit and other trackers aren't built with women in mind (I believe the software is based on an 'average' bloke) and may not be showing you a true representation for you. Once you've got your food tracking sorted, if you're still gaining more weight than you'd expect (muscle gain is a slow weight gain you shouldn't see lbs in a week unless you're training to be the next Thor), then try dropping your daily calorie intake by a small amount over a week, say 10-20 calories a day, and see if that makes a difference.

Nobody gains five pounds of muscle in a month from walking. This doesn't happen.