Weight watchers vs calorie counting?

I have been doing calorie counting for a long time, but since moving overseas 2 years ago i have been going crazy with food.
I am considering weight watchers.
Question i have, for those who have tried both ww and calorie counting. What worked better?
Was ww worth the money?
Do you think i can do it while overseas? No barcodes will scan.
Was there hidden fees and random charges?

Replies

• Breakingupwithfatty
    Breakingupwithfatty Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2020
    Good point.
  • saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2020
    Any one all work well
    If done right
    Eat in moderation
  • kew1952
    kew1952 Posts: 52 Member
    I did ww a number of years ago, before they made all the changes. At that time, I liked the fact that I didn't have to count calories, but rather, tracked points. I was able to lose all my weight, even got to maintenance, but then, I gained much of it back. I think for me, I was so focused on points that I didn't make a life style change. I have found that counting calories works best for me. I have a true sense of what I am eating and how it will overall impact me. Good luck!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Weight Watchers uses a completely different lens regarding food which may be useful if a person is in a rut. It currently has three different systems. On the one end is a plan with a ton of "zero" point foods, which correspond to the list presented above. At the other end is a fairly narrow list of "zero" point foods. Daily "points" are allotted inversely - the more "zero" food you have in your plan, the fewer "points." The plan is slanted toward fresh/frozen meats, vegetables, fish, fruit, legumes, whole grains, in that these have fewer or no points depending on what plan you choose. However, it does not always make total sense. A "cup" or 170 g of plan nonfat yogurt is 0 points, and 8 fluid oz of plain nonfat milk kefir is 3 points. Both have about the same number of calories. That's how they roll.

It's possible to overeat, as Kriss above points out, but there is a lot of encouragement to eat reasonable portions. In the end, it all comes down to calories eaten and calories expended. I found WW helpful 6 years ago to drop the first 25 of my 50#. It's been helpful in the last 10 weeks to help me lose about 6# after I was "stuck" for a period of time, but I am not planning to renew once this month is up because I managed to shake up a routine or two in a helpful way.

Hope this has been helpful.
  • earlandrew48
    earlandrew48 Posts: 18 Member
    I don't believe in programs (like WW) myself. I know it's been said million times, but it's all about calories in vs calories out. That is the just of it...right? I was able to go from 241 to 199, just by using the fitness pal calorie counter, with the exercise cardiovascular counter as well. It took a year to do.
    I feel we already know what we need to do. It's a matter of having the will and dedicated attitude to suffer a little. For instance. I get that 10pm itch to go downstairs to get 2 oz of cheese and ancient grain toast. I know its another 400 calories before bed. Sometimes I have the will to say NO...sometimes not. That is what it is.
    The problem now is, since Coronavirus, I've shot up to 212....13 pound gain. Weight loss with quarantine is difficult to impossible. Not moving around as much as before and nibbling to deal with the mental aspect of physical distancing. I've committed starting tomorrow, to re-find the will.
    To end- stay with calorie counter. Commit yo your number...mine will be 1900 calories a day for a month.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't believe in programs (like WW) myself. I know it's been said million times, but it's all about calories in vs calories out. That is the just of it...right? I was able to go from 241 to 199, just by using the fitness pal calorie counter, with the exercise cardiovascular counter as well. It took a year to do.
    I feel we already know what we need to do. It's a matter of having the will and dedicated attitude to suffer a little. For instance. I get that 10pm itch to go downstairs to get 2 oz of cheese and ancient grain toast. I know its another 400 calories before bed. Sometimes I have the will to say NO...sometimes not. That is what it is.
    The problem now is, since Coronavirus, I've shot up to 212....13 pound gain. Weight loss with quarantine is difficult to impossible. Not moving around as much as before and nibbling to deal with the mental aspect of physical distancing. I've committed starting tomorrow, to re-find the will.
    To end- stay with calorie counter. Commit yo your number...mine will be 1900 calories a day for a month.

I get that some people have much more difficulty than others, when it comes to appetite and cravings, and how those line up with what is for them a sensible calorie goal. There are also some for whom the imagery of conquering themselves or circumstances can be very motivating. That's great, sincerely.

Nonetheless, speaking only for myself: If anyone and everyone needed "the will and dedicated attitude to suffer a little", I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be heading into year 5 of maintaining weight loss, at BMI 21.5 (as of this morning), after 3+ decades of class 1 obesity before that.

I'm good at gaming my strengths and weaknesses (should be, at my age :lol: ), but I stink at will and dedication, not to mention suffering (ugh). Really dislike drama, too, not that that's super relevant here. ;)

OP, back on topic: Several of my friends have been very successful with Weight Watchers, a couple of them maintaining a substantial weight loss long-term (multi year). For me, it wouldn't work well. I've been a vegetarian for 45+ years, and got fat then obese eating plenty (too much!) of things that WW mostly now considers zero-point foods, in the plan that offers the most of those (per above). I also tend, by personality, to rebel against what I see as arbitrary rules. I can see how the WW system might be a help for people who are better with rules, and who may need just that little nudge to eat more veggies and such.

Overall, picking an approach to weight loss that fits well with our individual personality . . . that's a pretty big deal, IMO. Calorie counting is a good adjunct alongside quite a few of them, potentially including WW.

Best wishes!

So what I found helpful this go round with WW was not "rules." All the "zero point" foods are what I usually eat, and not to excess. Where the 8# added came from was my sourdough baking spree .... seeing the actual calories wasn't helping me curtail, but seeing the points did. As I said, WW has a different lens. All the calorie rules apply in the final analysis regardless of how you choose to eat.

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Weight watchers is a business that relies on repeat custom. Their diets (and others like them) are designed to "work" just enough to convince people but ensure that they fall back to bad eating habits in the longer term, and return to them because it "worked" for them before.
  • relativehunter
    relativehunter Posts: 15 Member
    I've done both, too. I found online no more helpful than doing this. And the meetings felt like a big ad for WW products and the meetings started to feel repetitious. I've even had leaders that touted false claims about nutrition. That finally got me and I've never gone back. I've never been very successful at weight loss, WW or not. Best for me is to record everything and get in more exercise.
  • Mandy72CM
    Mandy72CM Posts: 59 Member
    I’d say going to a group helped with the weigh ins. However I found the diet plan restrictive and I don’t like the group chat so I left after being weighed. WW food is also less points than other foods of the same calorie value so you pay more to eat WW products for less points. Good marketing! But why pay more? You can eat anything you want within your calorie range in MFP and it’s free. I much prefer this but you need to be focused.