Use to feeling full

Options
So one of my biggest struggles when trying to eat healthier is the feeling of not feeling full (overly eating) I know people say to eat until you’re “satisfied” but for me that’s the feeling full instance. I feel like the only way I feel that full feeling is when I’m eating poorly, like for example a fast food combo makes me full vs eating a bunch of vegetables protein and fruit which leaves me wanting to give up and eat bad again. I know this sounds ridiculous but it’s one thing that keeps me going back to my old habits.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• zoemeeson
    zoemeeson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I no extacly how you feeling and what you mean so you can add me if you like zoemeeson and we can help each other and have chat
  • Tiffanylynn1024
    Tiffanylynn1024 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    zoemeeson wrote: »
    I no extacly how you feeling and what you mean so you can add me if you like zoemeeson and we can help each other and have chat

Thank you! Sounds good :)
  • Tiffanylynn1024
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It isn't just all one or the other.

Can you find a combination that makes you feel reasonably full and happy, maybe partly fast food, and partly some of the things you're trying to eat more of, for health?

Really, the only thing you need to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than you burn, i.e., stick with your calorie goal. If you eat fast food up to that number of calories, then stop, you'll lose weight. The problem is that fast food is often very calorie-dense, so calorie-appropriate amounts of it aren't very filling either, for most people.

Though only calories matter for weight loss, most of us us want to be healthy, too, and that's where nutrition comes in. However, if you don't have any doctor-diagnosed nutrient deficiencies to start with, you're not going to instantly become malnourished overnight.

That means you can start by focusing on figuruing out how to hit your calorie goal, first, and feel full enough to be adequately happy. Once that's dialed in, you can then start to gradually make some changes toward better nutrition, if health improvement is one of your goals.

Also, if you're making changes, sometimes it's easier to start off with a less challenging calorie goal (allow yourself to lose weight a little slower at first), then gradually reduce calories from there (assuming you have enough total weight to lose that losing faster can be done healthfully - under 1% of bodyweight loss per week is a good idea, lots under that if you have around 50 or fewer total pounds to lose).

If this kind of "gradually change your eating" idea appeals to you, there's a thread with more details about it here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Best wishes!

Thank you so much this is really helpful!! :)
  • Tiffanylynn1024
    Options
    Girl, if eating vegetables fruit and protein bums you out then dont eat that stuff lol

I dont eat fruit period. At all. Gross.
    There is probably 6 vegetables that I like. I dont like onions or peppers or any of that stuff..

But there is a whole world of recipes out there, pinterest is a gold mine.

You can really find some recipes that while not a big mac at mcdonalds, in a pinch, when you should be eating at home and keeping the calories within your budget.. it's enough to stop you from wanting to impale yourself on a rusty spoon lol

Tweak things a little. Sometimes I'll use ground chicken in a ground beef recipe, or ill spice up recipes, use curry in things, go online and see if you can order lower calorie versions of things

I order pb2 but I like mine sweeter like kraft, so I put a little 0 calorie sweetener in it. You get twice as much with the powdered peanut butter as you do the regular and all you do is add water.

I've found some great products online to make my life easier, even low calorie pasta. You just gotta get creative and then get in the kitchen and cook yourself up something tasty.

Thank you, those are really good points and great ideas. I will need to start writing a list of things to get from Pinterest recepies!
  • Tiffanylynn1024
    Options
    Have the burger and fries, but make them at home. Weigh your foods and pay attention to portion size, bake those fries instead of deep frying them. Baby steps.

Good idea. I just need to start slow instead of doing a 180 overnight like I always do
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like what you're describing is 'volume eating'.

Some people feel are satiated by protein, or fats, or fibre, etc. Others are satiated by larger volumes of food regardless of the macro split.

So the key is to find ways to eat large amounts of food while keeping within the calorie target. 2 ways to do this immediately spring to mind.

1. Low calorie dense foods. Find food that you love that have a low calorie/volume ratio. One that I just LOVE are dill pickles. They're about usually about 20cal per 100g so I could sit down and eat pickles til they're coming out my ears and I'd probably only have consumed 50 or 60 calories at most. Find your bang-for-the-buck foods but remember, they've got to be foods you genuinely love and want to eat.

2. Meal timing / eating schedule. Basically you just save your calories for a big feed. Pay attention to when you're naturally hungriest and save your calories for that meal. For me it's at night. Doesn't matter how much I eat during the day I enjoy a big dinner so I save my calories up for that. Some days I'll grab a coffee for breakfast, usually skip lunch as I'm busy at work and eat a huge meal at about 8-9pm. Other days I'll skip breakfast entirely maybe grab a quick snack at lunch or mid afternoon instead.

Try either of these methods, or perhaps a combination of both and see if that works.
  • Tiffanylynn1024
    Options
    I agree, I think it’s a volume thing. You made some great points and I love the ideas. Thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think it’s a volume thing. You made some great points and I love the ideas. Thank you!

If that's the case, you might glean some ideas from this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1