BMI... How much has yours changed?

Options

Replies

• rachelw16
    Options
    I went from 25.4 (overweight!) to 21.4 (normal!). Great progress everyone!
  • Samhally
    Options
    I started at 35.5 (Obese) and I'm now at 25.7 (Overweight) I am just about 5 lbs from being NORMAL! And I'm SO excited!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Started at 40.2 (obese) and now at 26.7 (overweight). Still remember how excited I was to lose the obese label! Only 12 pounds from healthy!! I absolutely will not stop until I get there! :wink:

Weight Watchers, running, and MFP plus all the on-line support have helped me succeed.
  • zoodalia
    Options
    Not much, I've only lost 4lbs so far but my BMI considers me 'overweight' at 26.5.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I was obese, now I'm only 0.6 away from healthy. Which I have never been!
  • AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Mine has gone from 33.3 to 29.6 (obese to overweight for a 5' 1.5" woman). That's going from 179 to 159 lbs. I will enter the Healthy zone when I hit 133 lbs, around May or June if things keep going well. I am really looking forward to that!
  • J3NZ0R
    J3NZ0R Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've done some research on BMI and it seems like a poor tool to monitor progress. It doesn't factor in muscle mass, for one, so many athletes index in the 'overweight' range. I know of a few people who stopped exercising for a few months due to injuries, saw their quads shrivel up and then were congratulated by their doctors for reaching their goal BMI. Something wrong there, no?

A woman who is 145 lbs and a low % of body fat will look different than a woman of the same weight with a higher % of body fat. I think body fat % is a more useful tool.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I've done some research on BMI and it seems like a poor tool to monitor progress. It doesn't factor in muscle mass, for one, so many athletes index in the 'overweight' range. I know of a few people who stopped exercising for a few months due to injuries, saw their quads shrivel up and then were congratulated by their doctors for reaching their goal BMI. Something wrong there, no?

A woman who is 145 lbs and a low % of body fat will look different than a woman of the same weight with a higher % of body fat. I think body fat % is a more useful tool.

I agree completely. I've a friend (who happens to be a member of MFP), who is 5'5", and nearing 145lbs. My ex, was 5'5", and 120-125 on average.

They have nearly the same body shape...and I guarantee my MFP friend is substantially stronger, and healthier.

So much for BMI.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I started at a 34.6 on the BMI chart. I'm currently at 30.5, so almost out of the "obese" category. I've been hovering around this weight for awhile now though, so I'm getting slightly frustrated. Stupid plateaus!
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    34.9 obese (at my highest 210 lbs) to 32.8 obese (when I started MFP at 197 lbs) to 27.0 overweight (current weight at 162.5 lbs).
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You can ***** off BMI all you like but...

It is used by health insurance companies to determine how much you pay
    It is used by doctors to decide if you can get fertility treatment
    It is used by doctors to diagnose anorexia
    In the vast majority of cases it is a good indicator of health and fat accumulation
    It is used by military services worldwide as a measure of physical condition
    It gives non-medically educated people a way of determining their own health risks

Come on. Do you really need to bring up all this muscle mass cr@pola again? If it applies to you great, but then you already obviously have a big interest in health and fitness and are measuring your fitness in other more appropriate ways. But MOST PEOPLE are not in that position. It is very abnormal. That is why BMI is used by medical and health professionals worldwide. MOST PEOPLE with an obese BMI are obese, not bodybuilders.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    some are posting "morbidly obese" >> this doesn't show up on my BMI from the MFP tools...

just getting started, went from 39.5 to 36.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Start BMI 25 over weight, now BMI 23.7 Healthy Still have about 7lb to lose toned.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I started at 37.8 and am now at 30.6. I will be out of the "obese" category when I lose about 5 more lbs.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Mine has changed by 13.2. I am about half way to my goal.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    71 to 41....and chipping away every day! xxoxoxoox
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 30 (at 13 stone 4, the heaviest I've ever been, I realised I wasn't just overweight but actually into the obese bracket and it gave me a much-needed wake-up call) to 25.5 (4lbs away from being officially Not Overweight!)
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

I do agree as at my fittest I was 'overweight', but sadly this is a big thing in medical professions and I've had a lot of crap from Dr's in the past about my weight.. so finally I'm happy to be heading back to 'overweight' where I can at least argue the fact that I DO have muscle.. not all muscle admittedly but I know it's there.. I can feel it (under the padding of my remaining weight. :(
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    71 to 41....and chipping away every day! xxoxoxoox

Wow!!! this is truly inspiring and you're going to have a wonderful samhain this year for sure!
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    I went from 36.9 in May to 29.1 today. Much more work to do!!!