Unsure if what I’m doing is pointless

Options
Hi everyone. My goal is to shred fat. I’ve taken up joggingrecently, in particular I’m doing C25K. I’m really really enjoying it and I even bring my dog with me while doing it sometimes. She’s a husky so loves running.
Alongside this I’m on a calorie deficit - MFP reccomend 1200 but I have been eating back some calories I’ve burned working out because honestly I’m finding I’m pretty starving if not.

Anyway I understand the only way to really get rid of fat is through weight training, and honestly I’ve always hated weight training, like absolutely hate it. I don’t know what I’m doing I find it tedious and I give up every time I try. So I only really enjoy a cardio workout.

Am I just going to have poor or no results from doing what I am right now? I.e lose muscle and just be left with fat still.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to eat back all of your exercise calories.
  • TheSma11Print
    TheSma11Print Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    I know, it was more a question on if running alone and being on a calorie deficit will be enough to lose fat or if it is pointless because I have to weight train.

• zackboomer
    zackboomer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The running will mostly just be burning off whatever energy stores that your liver has in it. Diet will definitely be your main focus here, 1200 you should definitely be losing on though. Are you weighing all your food?
  • TheSma11Print
    Options

Anyway I understand the only way to really get rid of fat is through weight training

Where did you get that from? It's totally false. Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit, no exercise needed. Building some muscle can certainly change your shape and body composition, but weight training does not cause fat loss.

You should also probably be eating more than 1200 calories, plus your exercise cals. What does MFP tell you if you put in your stats and lose 1lb per week?

Just things I’ve been reading online really.
    So much emphasis on weight training = fat loss because the more muscle you build the more fat you lose. I dunno I’m glad I asked on here to get some real answers.

I’m doing 2 pounds per week. 1 = 1400 cals. I’m worried that won’t do much for me.

• TheSma11Print
    Options
    You don't have to weight train. You will lose fat with a calorie deficit.

Weight training will change the way your body looks at the end, though. Is that the issue? You have a body goal that requires weight training?

I've found it helps to go to the weight room with a program and a plan. I began with Stronglifts 5x5. I downloaded the app, and just followed what it told me to do. About 45 minutes, three days a week, and only 5 lifts to learn. Completely do-able, even if you don't like weight training.

Thank you I’ll take a look :smile:
  • TheSma11Print
    Options
    The running will mostly just be burning off whatever energy stores that your liver has in it. Diet will definitely be your main focus here, 1200 you should definitely be losing on though. Are you weighing all your food?

Ah, so running is completely pointless for weight loss and muscle building?
    Maybe I need to be more strict weighing my food!
  • zackboomer
    Options

Completely useless for weight loss? Nope.

Muscle gain, definitely useless.
  • harper16
    Options
    I know, it was more a question on if running alone and being on a calorie deficit will be enough to lose fat or if it is pointless because I have to weight train.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • TheSma11Print
    Options

How much weight are you trying to lose?

Sorry if this sounds really stupid but What I’m really trying to do is lower my body fat percentage.
    I’m around 30% at the moment. I dunno I guess I’m not too precious about how much I weigh just as long as I start to see inches coming off me if that makes sense? Maybe I do need to incorporate some weight training.
  • zackboomer
    Options
    Weight training and calorie deficit got me from 240 to 165
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

No, running can absolutely be part of creating a deficit. That is what creates weight loss. The point is that it is relatively easy to eat enough to "cancel out" the calorie burns of running and that is where people run into problems -- when they *just* focus on running and expect to lose weight from that alone.

Running will not build muscle. If you want to build muscle, you'll need resistance training for that.

If you enjoy running, there is absolutely nothing "pointless" about it. It's a great way to increase your fitness. It can be part of creating a calorie deficit. It's just not going to create weight loss outside of that particular context. I know you said you don't really care about weight, but if you want less fat on your body, you are talking about weight loss.
  • harper16
    Options
    Caring about your health and fitness is never pointless.
    But, unless you have more than 60 lbs to lose a 2lb a week loss is to much.
  • zackboomer
    Options
    If you really don’t want to lose weight, why are you eating at a deficit at all. If you want to be more fit, less fatty, stronger, walking and running are both very good exercises. They build muscles in your legs. They are weight bearing so they make your bones stronger, as well as muscles. But if you want to look toned and muscular all over, you need to address your upper half as well. Core exercises like planks could help. Google arm exercises. Yoga is a good overall exercise. I think Pilates is too, but I don’t know from experience.

Running, yoga and Pilates doesn't build muscle.

Good for cardiovascular heath, though.