Day 50 of the journey - Question about calories in/out

Good day everyone,

As title says, i'm on day 50 of a weight loss journey.
So far everything is going smooth, however, I have a few questions about calories in vs calories out over a long period of time.

Before I start let me give some info, i'm a 25 year old male, starting weight of 310,4 lbs, and currently 285,2 lbs
6'0 height (183cm)

I did some math, and over the course of the 50 days, I have consumed, on average, 1597 calories a day(basically 1600)
In 50 days, I have lost 25.2LBS, which gives me a deficit of around 1800 calories a day, explaining the weight loss.

I know some are gonna say it's too aggressive, and I should eat more. I cannot disagree. But I feel perfectly fine, exercise each day, and i'm not starving. I'm tracking my macros and everything is under control.

The question is, how sustainable is this, over a longer period of time, say a year, two years?
Is my body going to adapt to the lower calorie intake and reduce my metabolism?

Should I try to eat a little more? Or just keep going as is, as long as I feel good?

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    How much of the loss came from a big drop in the first couple weeks? Over the past 3 weeks, what is your average loss per week?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Thanks for the inputs, i'd like to add that, even at 310 pounds, I was very very active, but ate too much, which is why I ended up weighing 310 pounds. So for me, there was no "initial huge weight loss", i've been losing a pound every other day since the day I decided to start watching what I eat.

So with the math above, I think eating an extra 400 calories a day would make everything much more sustainable, while still only slowing down the weight loss at a rate of about a pound every 8 days or so.
    What do y'all think?

Thanks!

If you have an 1800 calorie daily deficit, adding 400 calories per day gives you a 1400 calorie daily deficit . . . is still close to 3 pounds a week, yes?
  • slowregal661
    slowregal661 Posts: 19 Member
    Absolutely, 3 pounds a week @ 285 body weight is slightly more than 1%, which makes it more in-line with what is recommended, I think i'll try to aim for 2000 calories. That extra 400 seems like a lot now that i've ditched liquor, chips, and junk food in general... :#
  • slowregal661
    That is true Novus, but to me, going aggressive is what keeps me motivated, I want the results and so far, they are coming in.
    I should see a doctor at some point... last time i've been there was probably 10 years ago :D
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    I think you are doing great...congratulations! I understand your motivation and enthusiasm on this journey.
  • slowregal661
    I agree with everything you just said, and it's very true.
    Well first of all, congrats on losing that much weight, it is an impressive feat.

Now back to my plan, this isn't the first time I have lost weight, I've gone from 260 to 215 in the past, then gone from 280 to 240, and then things changed in life and I moved, got a new desk job and then next thing you know, surprise!! 310 pounds.
    So when you talk about early failure, and not to rely on motivation, I know exactly what you're talking about.

The difference this time around, I made lifestyle changes that lead to this weight loss. The other times I was focused so much on losing weight, that I eventually couldn't keep up with it, mentally and physically.
    It is also my first time tracking calories, the other times i'd eat "healthy" foods and not what I enjoy, because of fear of ruining the progress I had made.
    This time around, I eat what I like, but I keep the deficit, that is one BIG part of my new journey, compared to the other times I tried to lose weight.
    Another thing is, i'm happy with how I look as is, i'm not trying to lose weight in an attempt to be happy. I'm happy right now.

I also read your posts, and as we speak, I have the same mind set of losing weight as a " for sure " thing in the long term. There is no doubt in my mind that i'll reach my goal. No matter how long it'll take.

One thing I would like your opinion on, is "how often do you weight yourself". I know the scale doesn't always reflect success. And i'm well aware of it, I also know that soon enough, the scale will start being deceiving, and i'm almost afraid to weight myself with the fear of losing motivation. I've been stepping on the scale every now and then, anywhere from 3 days to 7 days. Now that i'm entering the "slower" part of the weight loss journey, should I try stepping on the scale like twice a month? once a month? Let me know what you think.

Also, if there's anyone reading this that's currently in a similar situation, why not share our journey? I'm open to having a weight-loss partner that enjoys the gym! I'm honestly itching so hard to get back in the gym once Covid-19 clears...
  • AnnPT77
    (snip)

One thing I would like your opinion on, is "how often do you weight yourself".

Daily, first thing in the morning, same state of (un)dress, after the bathroom, before eating/drinking.

Then, put it in one of the free weight trending apps (Happy Scale for iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight with a free Fitbit account (don't need a device), Weightgrapher, others).

This will start helping you learn now how your particular body behaves: What causes water weight fluctuations, how long they take to dissipate, what stalls and whooshes look like, and more. This knowledge will become reassuring when weight loss starts to slow.

After you get a month or so of daily weights in it, the app will also give you a somewhat sensible trend line, but don't mistake it for a crystal ball. It's just a statistical projection. It's a useful form of analysis, but it, too, can mislead.

(snip)

Also, if there's anyone reading this that's currently in a similar situation, why not share our journey? I'm open to having a weight-loss partner that enjoys the gym! I'm honestly itching so hard to get back in the gym once Covid-19 clears...

Join that "Larger Losers" group linked earlier, if you haven't. "Sharing the journey" is what groups are there for.

Individual MFP friends are a good thing, but sometimes give up or go off track, which can be dispiriting. Groups that are semi-active usually keep soldiering on, so there's some continuity of support: Also helpful.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have weighed sporadically, then monthly, then weekly, and now daily. I had a very negative relationship with the scale when I first started. It took some time for me to work past it.

The advantage of weighing much less is not being reliant on the scale. I waited long enough and was losing fast enough that no amount of fluctuations would keep me from getting a big amount of lost weight to unwrap. I learned to trust the process of incremental change. I also learned that NSVs are far better than numbers.

Over time, and thanks to MFP, I learned more about fluctuations and since I had a high confidence in my process I gradually started weighing more often. At that time I still almost always lost weight

Eventually I wanted to unwrap it even more so I started a spreadsheet and a couple of week after I did I realized I would not be happy with weekly data so I went daily. Each time the scale went the wrong way my spreadsheet was there with numbers proving why it was impossible for me to gain 1, 2, 3, or more pounds of fat in a day or two. I had a column that compared my results. Seeing a number like -8500 for a 2 pound gain when I was losing 3 pounds a week spoke to my rational side. I would tell myself that even if I had made a mistake in logging the day before there is no scenario in which I made an 8500 calorie mistake. 200 calories was plausible, 500 calories maybe, but not 8500. I am not sure how many times I had to look at that column but I don't even have it in my spreadsheet anymore. I am completely fixed other than still not liking big jumps in weight. I figure I don't have to like them I just can't let them ruin my day anymore or make bad decisions based on them.

So you can see my answer is that it kind of depends on you and where your head is at.

The thing about all of this is you are not marrying anything other than a calorie deficit. The rest you can alter as much as you need as you go. It is more important, imo, to have the right mindset than all the right answers. For me it was impossible to have all the right answers at 50 days in because I didn't even know all the questions. I still don't have them all. I certainly did not have one for how I would feel during a global pandemic. It turns out I am mostly okay but I do see a slight lowering in mood quality and overall enthusiasm. My system is what is normal for me so even if I am not 100 percent into it I can easily execute it and still keep making progress.
  • AnnPT77
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am starting to get more and more verbose. @AnnPT77, @PAV8888, and @lemurcat12 are all bad influences.

:lol::lol::lol: