Garden thread

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My flowers that I brought in look pretty bad. I put them out again today (it's sunny, and above freezing, although still not all that warm), as I was wondering if that might be better than the light in the house (even by a big window).

My plants that are in the ground look okay, and so far same with my herb cart, despite getting snow dumped on them. It's mostly gone already, at least.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Sigh, and apparently several more inches of snow are predicted for tonight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    20s and snowing. We'll see what this does to my plants. (I took my two big containers of flowers that I had out in front for Easter and which I knew were a little early inside, hopefully soon enough, and am hoping everything else will be okay.)

I woke up to the white stuff on the ground too. (Cleveland-6) I planted some lettuce, kale, chard and even after covering it up last night, it looked "frozen". Does this mean they're going die??
    I really wish it warms up. Looking at more cold days ahead. 😔

Not necessarily. Sometimes things shrink back (wilt, kinda) as part of their defense mechanism, but will recover. WIll need to wait and see. Kale, in particular, tends to be pretty darned tough.

I don't veggie garden anymore (did for years), but still have flowers. When I post flower photos on FB in early Spring, it's a common thing for friends to say "Oh, but that's gonna get killed by tomorrow's frost/hail/snow/sleet/other Michigan Spring weirdness".

My usual response is "Nah, those plants know what they're doing". And nearly all the time, they do. Some of the veggies are a little more marginal in Northern climates, so they may be more vulnerable. But I'd predict some will be fine, maybe even most/all.

I brought in the tomatoes in pots, lettuce that was not yet in ground into the garage last night. Thank god, cuz there was 4,5 inches of snow this morning!!! The others have to stay tough out there... I did cover with sheets last night. Either way, I'm so over with this.

Prediction: Some of those beaten & bedraggled babies will survive, then thrive, and boost your spirits when they do. At least, here's hoping! :flowerforyou:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I just got an email from my favorite garden center and they received word that they have been added to the list of essential businesses. They will be following recommendations offering things like curbside pickup and limiting the number of people allowed in at any one time. It is a huge place, mostly outdoors, but they do have greenhouses and will limit how many will be allowed in a greenhouse at any one time.

I have a list and think I can get most of my plants via curbside pickup but there are a couple I really need to see in person before I decide on which color. If I do curbside for the bulk it will limit the amount of time I need to spend inside.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 , That's so pretty! I like them! Anything that bring a bit of beauty is <3
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hope you'll indulge me in posting another Spring flower pic, since it's not veggie garden season yet in a lot of places. This is a double bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis). When they first come up, they look like 3-4" sci-fi pod people, with leaves wrapped around the bud (lower photo, April 7). Today, with a little warmth, they're quite fully unfurled, blossoms 2" or so across and very full (top photo). The standard form of the species is a single blossom, a common wildflower in the Eastern US, simple and lovely. The doubles are an oddball. Lummesome oddballs. ;)
    3yevlcj8c1v6.jpg

I love it. Checked a couple of local garden centers and none of them have it. Boo.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    My strawberries and in-ground flowers are still slowly coming up, and my sweet alyssum (which I currently have in baskets) and pansies (in containers) are still fine. I've now planted outside my herbs in my herb cart (will keep an eye on them if it turns cold again), and then in my raised bed: lettuce (2 types), cabbage, chard, collards, spinach, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and arugula. Plus, this weekend, radishes and carrots. I am going to plant pole beans and cucumbers this coming weekend, and am building another raised bed for peppers and tomatoes and maybe eggplants, which I will plant once the no frost day comes. I started today some flowers for replanting post no frost day. I bought too many, so will see which ones do well and where I want to plant. I have some California poppies which apparently should be planted outside, do well in poor soil, but also do better in drier conditions. Thinking about using these should I start some flowers in my parkway, which is full sun and likely poor soil, but spring here is often quite wet, so not sure.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Planting peas today. I planted 4 slices of tomato and 2 of them have sprouted so many of the seeds!! I have lots of marigolds growing. But my pepper seeds and spaghetti squash seeds are doing nada. I planted kale seeds but we'll see how those do. My sister gave them to me and they're a few years old. :/ Still waiting another month before planting cucumbers, green beans and sunflowers. My strawberries seem to have survived the winter, now to protect them from the birds who like to take a nip out of each one. :)

My local go-to nursery is reopening for the season tomorrow. I hope. I usually wait and go Memorial Day weekend but might have to go at another time to avoid any rush. :/
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Planting peas today. I planted 4 slices of tomato and 2 of them have sprouted so many of the seeds!! I have lots of marigolds growing. But my pepper seeds and spaghetti squash seeds are doing nada. I planted kale seeds but we'll see how those do. My sister gave them to me and they're a few years old. :/ Still waiting another month before planting cucumbers, green beans and sunflowers. My strawberries seem to have survived the winter, now to protect them from the birds who like to take a nip out of each one. :)

My local go-to nursery is reopening for the season tomorrow. I hope. I usually wait and go Memorial Day weekend but might have to go at another time to avoid any rush. :/
    I bought some metal mesh trashcans from the dollar store (actually $1) and put them over my strawberries - we’ll see how it goes!

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Can I ask for advice? I grow shoots on the balcony for microgreens. This is the first time I try lidded germinatation so covering up compost trays with roasting tins for darkness and warmth. The right hand side are soaked marrowfat peas sold for cooking sown a week ago. Left hand side are popcorn kernels. Should I leave the lids on a little longer? Or is it time to remove the one on the pea shoots already?
    vicgkb2sgj9e.jpeg

• AnnPT77
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Can I ask for advice? I grow shoots on the balcony for microgreens. This is the first time I try lidded germinatation so covering up compost trays with roasting tins for darkness and warmth. The right hand side are soaked marrowfat peas sold for cooking sown a week ago. Left hand side are popcorn kernels. Should I leave the lids on a little longer? Or is it time to remove the one on the pea shoots already?
    (snip photo)

Since no one else has replied yet: If most are germinated, and the weather's warm enough not to kill them, I'd uncover them (unless you want them to blanch white). I'd consider the warmth most helpful for germination (though I think both peas and corn tend to have relatively lower minimum germination temps than a lot of things), plus light desirable for growth/greening. If they've been 100% covered, and are outside, you might need to harden them off by uncovering for a while (not at peak midday sun, but some; during semi-warmer part of the day), then recovering when strong sun or cold, for a couple/few days so as not to shock them with a big change.

Admission: I don't know anything about microgreens. The above would be a normal thing to do with regular seedlings that have been growing with protection, such as indoors being moved outdoors, or under row covers/cloches being uncovered.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Beds need much more grooming, but the perennial/Winter-hardy herbs are starting to sprout a bit. The . . . um . . . enthusiastically spreading oregano is reaching the point where I could even snip a bit, even though it's tiny. (There's also about a 6" sprout of lovage up in the upper right corner. The star-shaped foliage is an ornametal Allium - same genus as onion, garlic, shallots, and chives, but not culinary.)

a4d2ke2nazt9.jpg

The mint is just barely coming up, in its mint-jail (isolated from other planting areas, in a discourage-it amount of shade . . . mint = invader).

q8rj0vbdlw88.jpg

BTW, the mint's solitary confinement is a home-made hypertufa trough. As a size gauge, that one was molded with a plastic dishpan. I've made other shapes, and most have been pretty Winter-tolerant. I like 'em.

I whacked back the Winter-beaten sage plant a week or so ago, so it's not doing much, and the culinary thyme looks very dispirited still. (Some of the ornamental thyme growing in crevices of the paver walkway is looking pretty good, but it's not a very tasty variety.) These grow in a bed a couple of feet wide and quite long, that's behind my house. There's a patio/deck bit, then the sidewalk, then the narrow bed with rock slabs on its outer edge. Mostly ornamentals, but a few herbs.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    haven't gotten around to actual gardening but watching the perennials do their thing
    the grass came back with a vengeance so i will need to clear these guys out
    awkahpt2ca4f.png

blackberry plant is leafing
    6d0gwejpls7x.png
  • moonangel12
    Options
    My seedlings that I started indoors are getting good doses of rain and occasional sunlight (quite cloudy lately, but a couple days had some peek through). I bring them back in at night. They were looking pretty puny so I added some worm compost to the ones that had leaves coming out and am getting them outdoors, they are perking up with better color overall... hopefully they make it! I have never had good luck starting my own seeds, but so far this year is shaping up to be my best attempt. Like I said, each year I learn... what NOT to do :lol:
  • moonangel12
    Options
    @mbaker566 I have those little purple flowers in my yard as well! Had never seen them before we moved here...
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I am just starting back on MFP and was thrilled to see a gardening thread so I wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
    I have a bunch of kale going to seed in the garden from last summer’s garden that are covered in yellow blossoms. I enjoy the flowers but particularly enjoy watching the birds eat the seeds. Normally they drop enough that I get a new crop of kale every year.
    I have asparagus coming up now and lettuce in the garden. I started what is way too many seedlings (as usual). So I have cucumbers, squash and tomatoe plants in pots that go go every day and back in at night. It is still a bit too cold to plant them in the garden.

Looking forward to sharing gardening stories and info with you all

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Beds need much more grooming, but the perennial/Winter-hardy herbs are starting to sprout a bit. The . . . um . . . enthusiastically spreading oregano is reaching the point where I could even snip a bit, even though it's tiny. (There's also about a 6" sprout of lovage up in the upper right corner. The star-shaped foliage is an ornametal Allium - same genus as onion, garlic, shallots, and chives, but not culinary.)

a4d2ke2nazt9.jpg

The mint is just barely coming up, in its mint-jail (isolated from other planting areas, in a discourage-it amount of shade . . . mint = invader).

q8rj0vbdlw88.jpg

BTW, the mint's solitary confinement is a home-made hypertufa trough. As a size gauge, that one was molded with a plastic dishpan. I've made other shapes, and most have been pretty Winter-tolerant. I like 'em.

I whacked back the Winter-beaten sage plant a week or so ago, so it's not doing much, and the culinary thyme looks very dispirited still. (Some of the ornamental thyme growing in crevices of the paver walkway is looking pretty good, but it's not a very tasty variety.) These grow in a bed a couple of feet wide and quite long, that's behind my house. There's a patio/deck bit, then the sidewalk, then the narrow bed with rock slabs on its outer edge. Mostly ornamentals, but a few herbs.

My man herb bed looks a lot like yours. I gotta take my kneeling mat out there and just get on with it. I was even thinking of trying to get some weed block back down there and mulch it maybe.

And it's too late for my garden and the mint, it's everywhere. Healthy though, lot of mint tisane I think.
    en7ukog8yxcj.jpeg

Also my "rocket salad" flowered real fast. I guess I'll let it do its thing.

Oh and question - I planted garlic late last year and it's grown but the stems seem really spindly. When should harvest happen?
  • AnnPT77
    Options

a4d2ke2nazt9.jpg

q8rj0vbdlw88.jpg

My man herb bed looks a lot like yours. I gotta take my kneeling mat out there and just get on with it. I was even thinking of trying to get some weed block back down there and mulch it maybe.

And it's too late for my garden and the mint, it's everywhere. Healthy though, lot of mint tisane I think.

(snip healthy mint photo :) )

Also my "rocket salad" flowered real fast. I guess I'll let it do its thing.

Oh and question - I planted garlic late last year and it's grown but the stems seem really spindly. When should harvest happen?

We just dug garlic when the tops started to yellow and flop over a little, FWIW.