Garden thread

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I'm in 9B. I've been cleaning out closets and came across an old Aerogarden and started some seeds, only the basil and thyme are growing but they're doing great, I pinched the basil back and used half the leaves in my salad. I discovered some 10 year old seeds and decided to try them. I have lettuce attempting to live, 30 basil seedlings, and 4 sage seedlings along with a flat of microgreens on my grow table. I don't have much sun in the actual yard and already have a corner of the deck with pots of herbs and succulents so I'll probably be loading the other half of the deck with pots. Came across old heirloom tomato seeds too, it would be tough to pick just a couple to try but I have oak trees shading the yard aside of two containers.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Zone 7 here. Been a super mild winter
    Bulbs are about an inch out of the ground but not flowers yet.
    Oddly by cut and come again lettuce lived all winter (although growth was slow in December) and I have continued to grow radishes
    I have started a bunch of things inside already. And yesterday I transferred a ton of the cold weather crops outside to harden off although it is supposed to be a high of 65 today low 40. So for the next week or so I am going to be moving my broccoli, brussel sprouts. Artichoke, spinach and cabbage seedling in and out to grow up. There is supposed to be below freezing again next weekend
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Here in 6a Swiss chard often survives the winter but just produces tiny leaves for its second year. I'll let red stem chard stay in the neighbor's where I planted it for an ornamental in the fall, but I dig it out from my bed to make room for productive chard.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Gardening is the one activity I look forward to each year! I live in Minnesota and the season is too short. If I was able I would build a green house. I built my own raised garden beds and love them! They are about 2 by 5 feet. I always grow tomatoes, roma and cherry, broccoli, green beans, sweet peas, basil (with the tomato), cucumber, and zucchini. I always try one new plant every summer. I also grow herbs on my deck. I would love to increase my garden space, but I would have to have help. My yard is sloped, so I would need to build a small retaining wall and level off part of the yard. I currently have a deer fence around my garden so that would have to be rebuilt. Big dreams!
  • kshama2001
    Gardening is the one activity I look forward to each year! I live in Minnesota and the season is too short. If I was able I would build a green house. I built my own raised garden beds and love them! They are about 2 by 5 feet. I always grow tomatoes, roma and cherry, broccoli, green beans, sweet peas, basil (with the tomato), cucumber, and zucchini. I always try one new plant every summer. I also grow herbs on my deck. I would love to increase my garden space, but I would have to have help. My yard is sloped, so I would need to build a small retaining wall and level off part of the yard. I currently have a deer fence around my garden so that would have to be rebuilt. Big dreams!

Most of those are warm annuals. You could extend your season quite a bit with cool annuals. I use my meat thermometer to check the soil temp for some plants, and for others I buy seedlings from my garden center. (But not from the big box stores as they rush the season.)

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/cool_vegetables_for_you_to_grow_this_spring

...There are some “cool” vegetables that prefer the lower temperatures of spring for seed germination and plant growth. Known as “cool season” vegetables, you can get started as early as the ground can be worked in late March to April, depending upon your Michigan location, to take full advantage and extend your gardening season. Make use of this smart practice to reap the rewards of fresh greens, root crops and cole crops earlier.

Once soil temperatures reach 50 degrees, you can seed a variety of cool season vegetables. Cool season vegetables prefer and sometimes require the cooler soil temperatures to germinate. These include leaf lettuce, onions, parsnips, mustard greens, beets, peas, carrots, turnips, cabbage, spinach, kohlrabi, cauliflower, radish, celery, Swiss chard, kale and collards. Measure the soil temperature using a soil probe or use a kitchen thermometer that measures hot and cold.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Most of those are warm annuals. You could extend your season quite a bit with cool annuals. I use my meat thermometer to check the soil temp for some plants, and for others I buy seedlings from my garden center. (But not from the big box stores as they rush the season.)

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/cool_vegetables_for_you_to_grow_this_spring

...There are some “cool” vegetables that prefer the lower temperatures of spring for seed germination and plant growth. Known as “cool season” vegetables, you can get started as early as the ground can be worked in late March to April, depending upon your Michigan location, to take full advantage and extend your gardening season. Make use of this smart practice to reap the rewards of fresh greens, root crops and cole crops earlier.

Once soil temperatures reach 50 degrees, you can seed a variety of cool season vegetables. Cool season vegetables prefer and sometimes require the cooler soil temperatures to germinate. These include leaf lettuce, onions, parsnips, mustard greens, beets, peas, carrots, turnips, cabbage, spinach, kohlrabi, cauliflower, radish, celery, Swiss chard, kale and collards. Measure the soil temperature using a soil probe or use a kitchen thermometer that measures hot and cold.

Thanks! I have grown spinach for the last two years, but it looks like I could do more.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited February 2020
    First baby iris! (Planted them for the first time last fall.)

4uza94f87d7f.jpeg

Ooo, I love rock garden iris: Can't wait for mine to show up (but it's probably going to be a few weeks :neutral: ).

Your sedum look like they're excited about Spring, too. :) (At least I'm thinking those are one of the sedums . . . !)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

4uza94f87d7f.jpeg

I'm jealous. All of my garden is still under a blanket of about 5" of snow.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

4uza94f87d7f.jpeg

Mine is all covered by snow now too.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Some major spring fever here!

🌷🌷🌷

I was just about to buy a few herb savers for the fridge and realized.... why don’t I just buy plants?! 🌱 Last longer and smell better and they could go outside when it’s nice out!

🌿Anyone do a herb garden? Think I may start with rosemary and thyme. They are so fragrant and lovely. We do have some rabbits in our courtyard that will probably be interested. But they are the neighborhood bunnies so ...they need good eats too. I can share. ;)

Already have basil! Though.... it’s so cute, I always kind of feel bad picking it’s leaves. Lol

c42msb66clv5.jpeg
  • beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 948 Member
    edited February 2020
    @Safari_Gal_ - Don't feel bad about picking those leaves, but pinch them off from the top to encourage a sturdier, bushier plant. I grow a lot of basil in large pots in the summer and use it for things like pesto or caprese salad with the gorgeous local tomatoes. I also plant cilantro, dill, parsley, marjoram, and sometimes tarragon in pots.

Plants that can survive the winter go directly into my garden. (They don't seem to be bothered by our local rabbits, deer, or other critters, who greatly prefer my rose bushes and border plants.) Thyme, oregano, lavender, and sage grow quite well in my coastal NJ climate (7a) and sandy soil, but I stuggle to keep rosemary over more than one or two winters. Mint and lemon balm have their own seperate area bounded by concrete walkways because they are invasive. But all of these things also can be grown in pots.

Herb gardening really is easy and very flexible. You don't need much space and pots are just fine. Go for it! The sensory pleasures are well worth the effort!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    @Safari_Gal_ - Don't feel bad about picking those leaves, but pinch them off from the top to encourage a sturdier, bushier plant. I grow a lot of basil in large pots in the summer and use it for things like pesto or caprese salad with the gorgeous local tomatoes. I also plant cilantro, dill, parsley, marjoram, and sometimes tarragon in pots.

Plants that can survive the winter go directly into my garden. (They don't seem to be bothered by our local rabbits, deer, or other critters, who greatly prefer my rose bushes and border plants.) Thyme, oregano, lavender, and sage grow quite well in my coastal NJ climate (7a) and sandy soil, but I stuggle to keep rosemary over more than one or two winters. Mint and lemon balm have their own seperate area bounded by concrete walkways because they are invasive. But all of these things also can be grown in pots.

Herb gardening really is easy and very flexible. You don't need much space and pots are just fine. Go for it! The sensory pleasures are well worth the effort!

@beachwalker99 / thanks for the tip about pinching the leaves from the top! I’ve been doing th opposite to hide the bald spots hahaha lol

Sensory pleasures indeed!!! I so love the fragrance of all the herbs! I’m in zone 7b (i think) —— going to go hunt down some rosemary plants! Mint after a rain smells so nice! I’ll have to report back! 🤗
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

@beachwalker99 / thanks for the tip about pinching the leaves from the top! I’ve been doing th opposite to hide the bald spots hahaha lol

Sensory pleasures indeed!!! I so love the fragrance of all the herbs! I’m in zone 7b (i think) —— going to go hunt down some rosemary plants! Mint after a rain smells so nice! I’ll have to report back! 🤗

IME, rosemary is a little bit prone to root rot. Using a well-draining soil in the pot, and using care in watering (regularly, not oversoaking, not super inconsistent wet/dry) are things that help. I've had better luck, personally, with upright types of rosemary, rather than the trailing ones. If indoors in Winter, they need a lot of light for best results: South, ideally, West can work.

Some other great herbs you haven't mentioned: Chives, garlic chives (<== those can spread a little thuggishly, like the mint and lemon balm!), sage. Those are perennial, and hardy.

I'm in zone 5b here. I used to have more extensive herbs at a previous home, but now have just sage, thyme, oregano, lovage in my perennial flower bed, mint outdoors in a trough (stays out all Winter), and rosemary in a pot that comes indoors in Winter. I used to grow some annual herbs in a vegetable garden here (dill, basil, cilantro, others), but I don't do a vegetable garden here anymore (sigh!). If you have a spot, grow some Nasturtiums and try them in salad (flowers and leaves): They're spicy and delicious. I do a pot of those sometimes.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    Some major spring fever here!

🌷🌷🌷

I was just about to buy a few herb savers for the fridge and realized.... why don’t I just buy plants?! 🌱 Last longer and smell better and they could go outside when it’s nice out!

🌿Anyone do a herb garden? Think I may start with rosemary and thyme. They are so fragrant and lovely. We do have some rabbits in our courtyard that will probably be interested. But they are the neighborhood bunnies so ...they need good eats too. I can share. ;)

Already have basil! Though.... it’s so cute, I always kind of feel bad picking it’s leaves. Lol

c42msb66clv5.jpeg

I'm in 9B so my herbs aren't great but aren't dead right now. Once it's spring Trader Joe's has good basil plants, I usually just get one instead of basil leaves but the stems are real weak right now. I started a bunch of old seeds not expecting any to grow and have over 30 seedlings of mixed varieties of basil, loose leaf lettuce, microgreens, and 4 sage plants on a grow table. My Aerogarden had thyme and basil and both are super healthy though the 3rd spot refuses to grow anything. Outside I have oregano, mint, chocolate mint, catnip, lavender, rosemary, thyme, parsley, marjoram, tarragon, and I think my garlic chives are dead. I love going out and harvesting herbs for recipes! I have stevia seeds to start soon as well, it's easy to grow but aphids got to my last plant. Dill has been another aphid victim, it's one of my favorite herbs but I can't keep critters away.
  • earlnabby
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IME, rosemary is a little bit prone to root rot. Using a well-draining soil in the pot, and using care in watering (regularly, not oversoaking, not super inconsistent wet/dry) are things that help. I've had better luck, personally, with upright types of rosemary, rather than the trailing ones. If indoors in Winter, they need a lot of light for best results: South, ideally, West can work.

Some other great herbs you haven't mentioned: Chives, garlic chives (<== those can spread a little thuggishly, like the mint and lemon balm!), sage. Those are perennial, and hardy.

I'm in zone 5b here. I used to have more extensive herbs at a previous home, but now have just sage, thyme, oregano, lovage in my perennial flower bed, mint outdoors in a trough (stays out all Winter), and rosemary in a pot that comes indoors in Winter. I used to grow some annual herbs in a vegetable garden here (dill, basil, cilantro, others), but I don't do a vegetable garden here anymore (sigh!). If you have a spot, grow some Nasturtiums and try them in salad (flowers and leaves): They're spicy and delicious. I do a pot of those sometimes.

4b/5a here (right on the line). I have a very small garden so my perennial herbs are chives, oregano, and sage. I do basil and sometimes parsley but don't bother with any other annuals. For some reason, I have never been able to overwinter rosemary.

I love nasturtiums! I would plant them as accents in my large planters and munch on them as they bloomed.

Has anyone grown a Bat Flower plant (Tacca chantrieri)? I think it would like the shady corner of my patio but I may not be able to bring it in (toxic to cats) and was wondering about cutting the plant back and wintering it that way.

Tacca-chantrieriyes.jpg
  • kshama2001

4uza94f87d7f.jpeg

lemurcat2 wrote: »

On the plus side for you guys, snow is "poor man's fertilizer." :lol:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/the-poor-mans-fertilizer-387
  • earlnabby

4uza94f87d7f.jpeg

lemurcat2 wrote: »

On the plus side for you guys, snow is "poor man's fertilizer." :lol:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/the-poor-mans-fertilizer-387

I like seeing snow on the perennial garden in winter. It does a great job of insulating the roots so the plants come up healthy and happy when it gets warm out. Bitter cold without snow is a root killer.
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

4uza94f87d7f.jpeg

Ooo, I love rock garden iris: Can't wait for mine to show up (but it's probably going to be a few weeks :neutral: ).

Your sedum look like they're excited about Spring, too. :) (At least I'm thinking those are one of the sedums . . . !)

Yes, Sedum spurium 'Dragon's Blood' (Stonecrop). These were just tiny transplants from my garden last May. This is the worst soil I've ever planted in. Normally I would improve the soil, but this is my neighbor's bed. Turns out, Stonegroup, portulaca, and gazania just love this soil and are fine with not getting watered (the gazania were happier in the fall when they got more rain.)

The sedum last May (you can barely see them next to the portulaca):

5dzcahu3u3tc.jpeg

And last October. This is the view from my kitchen door, so it was a win win for me to plant at my neighbor's, who had utterly neglected it until I asked if I could plant in there:

0bkcbsryi0b6.jpeg

I planted the dahlias mid-May, and thought they weren't going to do anything due to the poor soil (I do amend with some compost as I plant) but they presently surprised me at the end of the summer. I got them for free at a plant swap early May.