Looking for fellow dog owners

Options

Replies

• lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 year old pitt-something-something mix. She is brindle with a black tongue and takes up most of my attention. I try to walk her as much as I can, but she does NOT to well in the heat. On hot days I'm literally dragging her after the first half mile!! (and her tongue is draggin on the ground) Needless to say, I'm looking forward to some cooler fall weather!!!!

That is one beautiful dog! Your pitt mix is like mine in the fact they don't do well outside in hot temps. They just cannot cool down. I have gone from walking mine for 3+ miles to 15 min maximum.
    Fingers crossed for cooler weather too!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Great walk this morning! Rupert and Bella were on fire! Bella so much so, she chose to go back on leash after the first 5min for not listening. The steam engine (hahahahahahaha-panting) has finally quieted down. Looks like Bella got her work out in even on leash.
  • mssygayle
    mssygayle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    sounds good i have five dogs and this would help me get my kids into this!!
  • jendra11339
    Options
    I have two Boston Terriers, but they are not marathon runners and Florida summers can make even they slowest walk challenging. They have a bad tendency to over heat if I'm not careful. I have started taken the younger one, Daisy, for a brisk morning walk since she is a little on the chubby side. That way we both get extra excercise. Our evening walk is slow, because the older one, Tessa, likes to sniff and pee on everything!
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I would love to, but my lab is a PITA!!!!!!

He is such a puller...and HATES his gentle leader...i actually dread walks with him.
  • Roxanne003
    Options
    I forgot to talk about my walk this morning. I actually did do the walk after my work out. I'm going to have to do it this way from now on. I use the walk as a cool down, and I feel more in the mood to walk. Well we walked for 34 minutes and the only people we saw were city workers cleaning up an empty field, mowing the grass and weed wacking.
  • fbuschur
    Options
    My rat terrier is my very best training partner! Scooby and I have 18 miles in together so far this week!
  • Roxanne003
    Options
    My rat terrier is my very best training partner! Scooby and I have 18 miles in together so far this week!
    that's great! I'm not sure how many miles I have with Sparky, guess I could download an app to see how far we walk.
  • Roxanne003
    Options
    We walked this morning, and it was definetly busy. School buses, kids walking to school. Sparky was soo excited to see the kids. I don't know wher these kids were during the summer. They weren't around or outside. Maybe they were all at camps. Well anyhow, we had a nice walk this morning. Everyone have a nice weekend!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    Options
    Fun times this morning. Turns out Bella (our dobi) is no longer afraid of the water. There's ditch/canal along our walking route and since we've had a little rain it's got about a foot of water in the bottom. She was galavanting like a fool down there this morning! She had to get hosed down when we got back but she told me it was totally worth it.
  • Roxanne003
    Options
    Fun times this morning. Turns out Bella (our dobi) is no longer afraid of the water. There's ditch/canal along our walking route and since we've had a little rain it's got about a foot of water in the bottom. She was galavanting like a fool down there this morning! She had to get hosed down when we got back but she told me it was totally worth it.

Wow that sounds like she had a lot of fun! :)
  • Roxanne003
    Options
    Well me and Sparky had a nice walk this mornig. I found an app that uses GPS and it measures how long we've walked, calories burned, my speed, and the distance. So, now I know we walk 2.2 miles a day, and my average speed is 3.4 miles per hour. We walked for 37:31 minutes this morning. We saw a some people, but nothing like yesterday. Now Sparky is trying to find a place to lay down and take a much deserved nap. :smile:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    We have two jack russels. Gorgeous, they are. Walk them every day. We're trying to up their fitness as the boy in particular was starting to get jr spread. . .
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I've got 2 terriers (one jack, one norfolk), they're walked daily for more than half an hour. :) I only log the walks if I'm not riding as not sure on calorie count etc. :)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    If you log your walks by distance that should give you a reasonable calorie estimate. I have a phone app (mapmyrun) that tracks distance using gps.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    puppies.jpg

Hope the picture link works. These are my two. Heading off for a nice 4 mile walk with them now. Going to try to maintain a 4mph speed today. Hope all you doggy types have a lovely day too. x
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    Options
    Whew, that has a hot walk but we didn't go this morning and they were definately ready. Glad we made it out if only for 20min. NTS: 5pm is the hottest part of the day and worst time to walk dogs.
  • meliturtlee
    Options
    I have a Belgian Malinios who is literally on crack!! He's a year 9 months and boy have we had our moments. My local police dept knows him (he was arrested). But he is a great dog, always random, he's such a character. He gets so excited for his walks and just goes crazy when I get near his drawer of toys and leash. I want to train for a 5k with him, he def needs the workout as much as I do, he's has too much energy.

I also have a rat..sorry I meant toy chi or better terms a little runt. She sneaks out to join us on our long walks but I always end up carrying her because her little legs and body just can't last.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    I own a poodle. 6 months old and never seems to get tired. He loves to play fetch and go for walks.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Oh I love Belgian Malinios - gorgeous dogs. Our two are permanently on speed today. Took them out for a walk this morning, and two miles in, when we let them off their leashes, they were literally jumping to shoulder height, they were so overexcited. They have no known energy limits!