Obese- Focus or Diet w or w/out Exercise?

Options
Hello!
So I’ve been a yo-yo dieter for sometime now. I’ve recently gotten to my highest weight ever (265lbs), thanks to quarantine, but also bad eating habits prior to lockdown.

My question has always been should I just focus on eating within my daily calorie limits or also make sure I’m exercising too?

While I know this may seem like a silly question, I wasn’t sure that if because of my weight I should be focusing on food intake more?

The types of exercise that I enjoy are walking and dance.

Thanks!

Replies

• empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Of course it is 100% up to you, but for what it is worth I started at a bit more than where you are now and just focus on my food intake when it comes to counting my calories.

I go for walks and dig the garden, much more so now I have lost 5 stone, but I am still easily large enough to stand the extra deficit when I do without feeling the need to do the so called "eating back calories" thing and instead gratefully take that extra bit of weight loss the walk might win me.

Might well step it up when I have lost more weight, when it gets harder to maintain a deficit and have enough to eat, but at the moment I am eating well and getting all my nutrients. So I exercise simply for the overall health benefits and the good it does my heart.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    Of course it is 100% up to you, but for what it is worth I started at a bit more than where you are now and just focus on my food intake when it comes to counting my calories.

I go for walks and dig the garden, much more so now I have lost 5 stone, but I am still easily large enough to stand the extra deficit when I do without feeling the need to do the so called "eating back calories" thing and instead gratefully take that extra bit of weight loss the walk might win me.

Might well step it up when I have lost more weight, when it gets harder to maintain a deficit and have enough to eat, but at the moment I am eating well and getting all my nutrients. So I exercise simply for the overall health benefits and the good it does my heart.

Thanks and good for you! Congratulations on the weight loss!

• empressjasmin
    Options
    Thank you @PAV8888 !
    I too often struggle with how much of a deficit I should be in. I often say that I exercise to feel good, which I truly do believe. I just didn’t wanna be counterproductive in my efforts.
    I’m going to take it a day at a time, but this helps!
    Thanks!!
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    @AnnPT77 you rock! Thank you!
    What a great way of looking at it - it’s a lifestyle change and not just a short term goal to work towards! 😁
    Many thanks!!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Always focus on the food - but exercise as much as you can, too. I've gone from obese after years of yoyo dieting to a healthy weight (still want to lose a bit) by managing calories. BUT the reason I started managing calories was because I found some exercise forms I utterly love and I wanted to be able to enjoy them more by not having to lug around so much body weight. AnnPT77 mentioned the lifestyle change and she is so right. The gym is now non-negotiable and I love it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside and @AnnPT77 always have good advice. This is a calorie counting web site, so people here will recommend counting your calories. I do it and it works well for me.

When my wife wanted to lose ~60lbs, she found it didn't work for her. The act of measuring and weighing her food just went against her nature. Her approach instead was to work with a nutritionist to develop a set of rules that she follows, including drinking 24oz of water before every meal (with lemon and apple cider vinegar, if that matters), not eating certain foods (she dropped all "cow products" for a long time), and things like that. She doesn't exercise all that much, either.

Yes, it is always true that eating fewer calories than you burn will cause you to lose weight. But, there is more than one way to accomplish that. I think that, if you've struggled for a long time with your weight, engaging someone to help you is money well spent.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Developing an exercise habit is easier if you are eating the right balance of calories to lose weight but still provide adequate energy. If you do not have your calories nailed down and you are eating too little exercise, even ones you normally enjoy, may become a truly miserable experience.

It is also possible that if you are eating too little then exercise will drive your deficit even higher to the point you break and eat everything in sight. Been there, done that.

If you have already been exercising for awhile then continue doing what you are doing. If not, ramp it up slowly to allow you to figure out your calories while also allowing your body to adjust to the new physical demands. It does not have to be anything more than just getting out for a nice walk if that would work for you.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    @NovusDies I have also been there done that - overeating because I haven’t eaten much and then become hungry and eat everything! I know it’s a process that I must learn all over again!

Thank you!
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    @SnifterPug I have been focusing on food more too. But I definitely agree. Finding exercise that you like makes the world of a difference! Thank you!

@Jthanmyfitnesspal thanks for the helpful advice too! I’ve considered that it may be time for professional help as well. Just to get over the hump of trying to initially lose weight. Agreed that it would totally be worth it!

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @empressjasmin Whatever we do to lose the weight we have to keep on doing to maintain it. You like walking and dancing. You've found modes of movement that you enjoy and can keep on doing for the rest of your life. That's a great decision. <3
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,218 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies I have also been there done that - overeating because I haven’t eaten much and then become hungry and eat everything! I know it’s a process that I must learn all over again!

Thank you!

Now that I think of it, if you have at least 75 pounds to lose, you might enjoy joining Novus's "Larger Losers" group. Link is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Awesome! Thank you! I’ll check it out.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    not to mention that exercise does earn you back a nice bonus in calories for the day because the way MFP works, it does not take into account intentional exercise and expects you to eat those back, though, as was suggested above, start with only half and see where that takes you.

I lost my first 110 lbs or so purely through diet alone. But the more you lose, the less energy it takes to keep you alive and thus the lower the calorie limit goes. I eventually hit where I know is my rock bottom - I cannot maintain a deficit lower than about 1450 calories, and once I had lost enough weight that sedentary setting for my height and weight began to dip below that, I started feeling like I was hungry all the time and found myself slipping over my deficit often. But about 2 months ago or so now, I decided to start trying to get more active for my health's sake, and I've been increasing the activity since then. A nice bonus, besides finding myself with better endurance, stamina, and mobility is the couple hundred calories I get to add to my day. It's been amazing to me the difference those calories make in ending my day feeling like I'm hungry and ending the day feeling satisfied. Being able to add those calories back oftentimes means the difference between me staying within my daily allotted deficit or slipping over, or the difference between meeting my goals or not.

If you want to lose weight, you must have a deficit. Find a healthy way to create that deficit, whether it be diet alone, or eating exactly the same but adding exercise, or a combination of the two. Just don't let the exercise trick you into eating more - many folks do that. They'll exercise for an hour and earn 200-300 calories, but then blow it all on a high calorie protein shake or an extra slice or two of pizza and then end up eating more which in turn can wipe out their deficit. Remember - to lose weight, you must be in a calorie deficit!