Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    " I am fully aware of how important drinking water is for weight loss/fat burning/general health"
    Sorry but no that's a horrible diet myth.
    It does nothing for weight loss and fat burning - that's a calorie deficit.

I suppose in a strict sense that's true, losing weight is about the calorie deficit, but there are a lot of things that can contribute to you being able to maintain that calorie deficit, including hydration.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322296

What an awful article and clearly written conclusion first and then a desperate trawl for supporting "facts" wrapped in weasel words, unquantified claims and with dim-witted conclusions.

Let’s state it yet again - drinking water and hydration are not interchangeable, which the author completely fails to grasp. I guess it doesn't fit the agenda.

If someone actively dislikes water (like the OP) there are plenty of alternative ways to ensure adequate hydration.

Actually, I'd like to hear of any method of hydration that doesn't involve water.

Of course you can substitute any flavored form of water, as others have already pointed out in this thread, to hydrate yourself, although non-caloric flavoring would be preferred in the context of weight loss. The point of the article was that intake of water, to which you can add any flavoring you desire to make it more palatable, helps with weight loss via a number of mechanisms, again, assuming you're not adding calories with said flavoring.

If you don't like the summary article you can read the studies that were linked, with plenty of quantification. Drinking fluids isn't going to have a dramatic effect on weight loss, but according to the articles referenced it is statistically significant.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    " I am fully aware of how important drinking water is for weight loss/fat burning/general health"

I suppose in a strict sense that's true, losing weight is about the calorie deficit, but there are a lot of things that can contribute to you being able to maintain that calorie deficit, including hydration.

What an awful article and clearly written conclusion first and then a desperate trawl for supporting "facts" wrapped in weasel words, unquantified claims and with dim-witted conclusions.

Let’s state it yet again - drinking water and hydration are not interchangeable, which the author completely fails to grasp. I guess it doesn't fit the agenda.

If someone actively dislikes water (like the OP) there are plenty of alternative ways to ensure adequate hydration.

Actually, I'd like to hear of any method of hydration that doesn't involve water.

Of course you can substitute any flavored form of water, as others have already pointed out in this thread, to hydrate yourself, although non-caloric flavoring would be preferred in the context of weight loss. The point of the article was that intake of water, to which you can add any flavoring you desire to make it more palatable, helps with weight loss via a number of mechanisms, again, assuming you're not adding calories with said flavoring.

If you don't like the summary article you can read the studies that were linked, with plenty of quantification. Drinking fluids isn't going to have a dramatic effect on weight loss, but according to the articles referenced it is statistically significant.

OP is drinking tea, coffee, and juice, according to their post. You don't have to drink straight water to be hydrated.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Of course you can substitute any flavored form of water, as others have already pointed out in this thread, to hydrate yourself, although non-caloric flavoring would be preferred in the context of weight loss. The point of the article was that intake of water, to which you can add any flavoring you desire to make it more palatable, helps with weight loss via a number of mechanisms.

Yes I could read a mini review of rat studies.....
    But why?

Your interpretation of the article is frankly bizarre to me, because you have common sense which is absent in the article!

Just off to get some exercise and follow the instruction "Always drink water before, during, and after exercise to avoid dehydration."
    No matter what the duration of the exercise is, intensity, climate, existing hydration levels, how much or little someone perspires and how much or how little it might actually impact someone's hydration. I'll make sure it's water and not one of the many other hydrating fluids several which are the equal or better hydrators than plain water.

I'll tell my wife she mustn't go for her lockdown routine of 3 mile / 1 hour walk without glugging water before, during and after but she might think I've lost my marbles. Some hack on the internet said it so it must be true isn't going to be a convincing argument.

I'll tell every casual jogger I see that they are doing it wrong by not carrying water.

Personally I like plain water and drink plenty of it but many do not and shouldn't feel pressured to force down a drink they dislike to fix an issue they more than likely don't have.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Of course you can substitute any flavored form of water, as others have already pointed out in this thread, to hydrate yourself, although non-caloric flavoring would be preferred in the context of weight loss. The point of the article was that intake of water, to which you can add any flavoring you desire to make it more palatable, helps with weight loss via a number of mechanisms.

Yes I could read a mini review of rat studies.....
    But why?

Your interpretation of the article is frankly bizarre to me, because you have common sense which is absent in the article!

Just off to get some exercise and follow the instruction "Always drink water before, during, and after exercise to avoid dehydration."
    No matter what the duration of the exercise is, intensity, climate, existing hydration levels, how much or little someone perspires and how much or how little it might actually impact someone's hydration. I'll make sure it's water and not one of the many other hydrating fluids several which are the equal or better hydrators than plain water.

I'll tell my wife she mustn't go for her lockdown routine of 3 mile / 1 hour walk without glugging water before, during and after but she might think I've lost my marbles. Some hack on the internet said it so it must be true isn't going to be a convincing argument.

I'll tell every casual jogger I see that they are doing it wrong by not carrying water.

Personally I like plain water and drink plenty of it but many do not and shouldn't feel pressured to force down a drink they dislike to fix an issue they more than likely don't have.

No more bizarre than your insistence on focusing on parts of the article that have nothing to do with why I linked to it in the first place, specifically the bit you wrote about hydration not contributing to weight loss.

It can benefit weight loss, fat burning and general health.

I didn't even read the bits unrelated to that fact because they didn't have any references, such as the section on drinking before, during and after exercise that you quote. But now that you brought it to my attention, I've done a lot of running over the last 10 years or so and I learned a very painful lesson early on with regards to hydration. Many people, myself included, will develop kidney stones if you don't hydrate sufficiently. It only takes one episode to make you very aware of your hydration. After passing that little piece of heaven I did get into the habit of drinking before, during and after my runs, even ones as short as an hour. But, admittedly, that's totally anecdotal and specific to my situation.

And you can certainly ignore animal studies, but we do share an awful lot of our physiology with a lot of animals, including rats. I would hazard a guess, and it's only a guess, that we utilize water (or flavored water) in a very similar manner to them. Admittedly, that's just a guess though.

And one last point, it's insanely easy to figure out if you're hydrated enough, at least if you have no underlying health conditions. Look at the color of your urine. It should be a very pale yellow. The one caveat to this is that you need to be aware of ingesting anything that can affect your urine color, like supplementing riboflavin (aka vitamin B2). It turns your urine yellow.
    518f079fcd0b90f8f21f0bd2b8e34340.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Last attempt to reinforce the context of the original question.

"Hi, does anybody have any tips on how to increase water intake? I am fully aware of how important drinking water is for weight loss/fat burning/general health but I really don’t enjoy drinking it. I guess I’m just one of those people that hates water, I have to force myself.

That's crystal clear the question I responded to is about water and only water - not a general question about hydration.
    My response which you agree with is that hydration is important. If the OP prefers to regulate her hydration without forcing herself to drink water that is absolutely fine.

Agree it's easy to monitor hydration levels, which is why the obsession with counting glasses of water (which many do interpret as only water), aiming for arbitrary numbers of glasses or ounces, drinking just because some clown says you must drink before/during/after any exercise is a waste of limited attention which could be better employed elsewhere or simply remove an unnecessary stressor.