Drinking water

Options
Hi, does anybody have any tips on how to increase water intake? I am fully aware of how important drinking water is for weight loss/fat burning/general health but I really don’t enjoy drinking it. I guess I’m just one of those people that hates water, I have to force myself. I’m a bit better in the summer and I drink it when exercising but some days I feel like I could just drink tea and coffee and be happy which is obviously not going to keep me hydrated. I do have sugar free high juice which is easier for me to drink but would prefer not to drink my calories. Anyone else similar to me? How do you get around it? Do I just have to suck it up and force myself to drink it?

Replies

• allierat84
    allierat84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Try getting a water bottle that you really love and aim to just drink a small bit a day to begin with maybe. Every few weeks or so you can increase what you're drinking. Try flavoured water too.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I drink sugar free dilute juice as my water tastes a bit yucky and I won't buy bottled.
  • TommysMum15
    TommysMum15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    eatyogarun wrote: »
    Tea and coffee are mostly water, they'll keep you hydrated, all fluids do (except alcohol). You don't have to drink plain water and the 8 glasses a day is a myth. As long as your urine is pale yellow, you're hydrated.
    I thought as they had caffeine you lost more water than you gained when drinking?
  • TommysMum15
    TommysMum15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I drink sugar free dilute juice as my water tastes a bit yucky and I won't buy bottled.
    Yes it may be the water where I live now that I don’t enjoy as I don’t remember having this issue as a child
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,125 Member
    Options
    Tea and coffee are mostly water, they'll keep you hydrated, all fluids do (except alcohol). You don't have to drink plain water and the 8 glasses a day is a myth. As long as your urine is pale yellow, you're hydrated.
    I thought as they had caffeine you lost more water than you gained when drinking?

Apparently not:
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    How about flavored Seltzer water? Other than coffee and tea that's all I drink.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Fruit and vegetables are mostly water too. Last night I ate a bunch of watermelon and was up all night peeing.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Fruit and vegetables are mostly water too. Last night I ate a bunch of watermelon and was up all night peeing.

Yep, I'm with you on that. I eat a lot of salads, frozen fruit and things like that. I get up multiple times in the night to pee and actually weigh about 2-3 lbs less in the morning JUST from those pee breaks. :p
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think Crystal Light would count too.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use propel packets-1/2 one in a liter of water w Lemon juice. It’s just enough. Not all their flavors are calorie free though so just double check which ones you get. I get them at Walmart or off amazon.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    not strong expresso
    You're technically right since a single shot of espresso is only 1 ounce (30mL), but just to be a little nitpicky, it isn't the fact that it's strong that it's not a great hydrator. Fun fact: there's actually less caffeine in a double shot of espresso than there is in a 12-ounce cup of coffee.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    not strong expresso
    You're technically right since a single shot of espresso is only 1 ounce (30mL), but just to be a little nitpicky, it isn't the fact that it's strong that it's not a great hydrator. Fun fact: there's actually less caffeine in a double shot of espresso than there is in a 12-ounce cup of coffee.

It's the ratio of caffeine to water as I explained earlier. To be nitpicky.....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options

Technically, even the non-alcohol component of alcoholic drinks would count toward hydrating fluids. Beer is usually only 5-11% or so alcohol by volume, most of the rest is water. Non-fortified wine, usually 10% plus or minus a couple percent. Even 190 proof Everclear is only 95% alcohol. More conventional 80 proof spirits are around 60% water. It counts.

Alcoholic drinks may not be the best hydration strategy ever, for any number of reasons, but there's a bunch of water in there. ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Technically, even the non-alcohol component of alcoholic drinks would count toward hydrating fluids. Beer is usually only 5-11% or so alcohol by volume, most of the rest is water. Non-fortified wine, usually 10% plus or minus a couple percent. Even 190 proof Everclear is only 95% alcohol. More conventional 80 proof spirits are around 60% water. It counts.

Alcoholic drinks may not be the best hydration strategy ever, for any number of reasons, but there's a bunch of water in there. ;)

Ever since you shared this fact with me a few weeks ago, I've thought of it when I've had a beer!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    not strong expresso

It's the ratio of caffeine to water as I explained earlier. To be nitpicky.....
    👍
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    " I am fully aware of how important drinking water is for weight loss/fat burning/general health"
    Sorry but no that's a horrible diet myth.
    It does nothing for weight loss and fat burning - that's a calorie deficit.

I suppose in a strict sense that's true, losing weight is about the calorie deficit, but there are a lot of things that can contribute to you being able to maintain that calorie deficit, including hydration.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322296
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    " I am fully aware of how important drinking water is for weight loss/fat burning/general health"
    Sorry but no that's a horrible diet myth.
    It does nothing for weight loss and fat burning - that's a calorie deficit.

I suppose in a strict sense that's true, losing weight is about the calorie deficit, but there are a lot of things that can contribute to you being able to maintain that calorie deficit, including hydration.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322296

What an awful article and clearly written conclusion first and then a desperate trawl for supporting "facts" wrapped in weasel words, unquantified claims and with dim-witted conclusions.

Let’s state it yet again - drinking water and hydration are not interchangeable, which the author completely fails to grasp. I guess it doesn't fit the agenda.

If someone actively dislikes water (like the OP) there are plenty of alternative ways to ensure adequate hydration.